SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#455844 - 08/07/18 09:33 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I don’t know…..it’s taken it’s toll on me….going to see these summer concert musicians. My thinking has changed dramatically these last few months. Not one of them had a keyboard newer than maybe 10 years. Some of them even had outdated Karaoke equipment. No one noticed…..no one cared. Why not just give in…….when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I’m driving myself into a dither trying to do everything at one time: piano lessons to improve my playing skills still, learning new songs, staying aware of new music equipment (seems like there’s something new and revolutionary every day now!), studying story material for my shows. Something has to give and I think (and hope), with these piano lessons my presentation will improve to the point it will just be me and a good piano and I don't have to think about equipment anymore (though I haven’t ruled out going back to arranger playing).

Anyhow, thanks to you guys for the suggestions. I can see why they have “think tanks” and “brainstorming sessions” now.

Bill…..I DID consider the Roland, but NOT the FP90. The FP 30, but I can’t find one in the store to try. Also, I don’t want to go in for 2K until I know what I’m doing. But I will definitely consider the 30. For that kind of money it’s a no-brainer.

Bachus: That’s a really great idea that I didn’t think about. Hardly any weight and really good sounds. The glitch I found out when I Googled the SD40 and the Roland 2000. appx $2400 for each. Otherwise that really IS a great route to go.

#455845 - 08/07/18 09:42 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
I don’t know…..it’s taken it’s toll on me….going to see these summer concert musicians. My thinking has changed dramatically these last few months. Not one of them had a keyboard newer than maybe 10 years. Some of them even had outdated Karaoke equipment. No one noticed…..no one cared. Why not just give in…….when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I’m driving myself into a dither trying to do everything at one time: piano lessons to improve my playing skills still, learning new songs, staying aware of new music equipment (seems like there’s something new and revolutionary every day now!), studying story material for my shows. Something has to give and I think (and hope), with these piano lessons my presentation will improve to the point it will just be me and a good piano and I don't have to think about equipment anymore (though I haven’t ruled out going back to arranger playing).

Anyhow, thanks to you guys for the suggestions. I can see why they have “think tanks” and “brainstorming sessions” now.

Bill…..I DID consider the Roland, but NOT the FP90. The FP 30, but I can’t find one in the store to try. Also, I don’t want to go in for 2K until I know what I’m doing. But I will definitely consider the 30. For that kind of money it’s a no-brainer.

Bachus: That’s a really great idea that I didn’t think about. Hardly any weight and really good sounds. The glitch I found out when I Googled the SD40 and the Roland 2000. appx $2400 for each. Otherwise that really IS a great route to go.

Yes, top end instrument are kind of expensive...

However, the same idea would also work with a used stage-piano, or a casio px-5s and a used Roland BK7M... Still decent styles and and both the BK7 aranger module as well as the keyboard are extremely light. even works on batteries.

I think as long as you stay away from the Casio styles engine, you are okay... but thats a personal opinion.. The older Roland has much more to offer then the current Casio keys...

Edited by Bachus (08/07/18 09:44 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455846 - 08/07/18 09:46 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: montunoman]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
the weight of the instrument is a very important factor.

Yeah, sadly this is true. I go back and forth between buying a knock-around digital piano and a top-end that I'm going to enjoy playing like Bill did. I really wish there weren't so many choices!

Originally Posted By montunoman
I happen to own Havian 30, Which I bought through a store in New Jersey at the beginning of the year.

I didn’t know you had a Havian 30. I really like that keyboard. It’s pretty, sounds good, really great styles, reasonably priced, portable, etc I’ve been listening to a lot of the Havian demos.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/digitalpianos/havian_30/page_2.php

Now where in New Jersey did you buy yours? I can’t find them for sale anywhere online. Oh yes, there was a used one for $2400. That must be some keyboard if they’re asking that price!

#455847 - 08/07/18 10:01 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Why carry a heavy piano to a NH when 99% have pianos?

Yes, and all restaurants have food on the premises. That doesn't mean it's good food.

99% of nursing homes do NOT have pianos. My guess would be about 50%. The ones who do have them, as Paul said, are poorly maintained, unless it's a very upscale independent living place. The average nursing home in these parts that do have pianos, I would have to say.......I'd rather be playing one of those honky-tonks in a saloon in the Old West where Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid might frequent.

Whatever happened to the music scene these days? I still remember the early days when you had nothing more than an accordion and an amplifier and you put it in the trunk of a '65 Pontiac and a piano in a nursing home was not even an issue!

#455852 - 08/08/18 05:42 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
In the FP 30's price range I think it was the best out of three others we had at the store. Best keyfeel and basic piano sound IMO. I don't know how much you are planning on using Rhythms or Styles with your new setup but the Bluetooth IPad Roland App for the 30 gives has a decent set of basic Rhythms. Enough for a restaurant or NH gig. Showing off that app sold a few pianos at the store. Super simple and free. To upgrade at a later date get the BK7m if you need more.
The FP30 was my first choice for a main piano and after I ordered it I felt I should go the way and not intending to move it much I went with the FP90. But I think I would have been happy with the 30 too.

#455853 - 08/08/18 05:47 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Dnj
Why carry a heavy piano to a NH when 99% have pianos?

Yes, and all restaurants have food on the premises. That doesn't mean it's good food.

99% of nursing homes do NOT have pianos. My guess would be about 50%. The ones who do have them, as Paul said, are poorly maintained, unless it's a very upscale independent living place. The average nursing home in these parts that do have pianos, I would have to say.......I'd rather be playing one of those honky-tonks in a saloon in the Old West where Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid might frequent.

Whatever happened to the music scene these days? I still remember the early days when you had nothing more than an accordion and an amplifier and you put it in the trunk of a '65 Pontiac and a piano in a nursing home was not even an issue!

as you quoted above
"No one noticed…..no one cared. Why not just give in"?

The "early days" are GONE today your just a spec in the ocean in tis game a body to fill a need......it's a sad state of affairs that you have to accept and stay stuck in the NH game or up your game into the DJ/player/party bass thumper game,.......or maybe join a tribute band it's the new popular thing or find that rare pizza place or bar with a restaurant in back full of kids and who knows who.....
As far as Nh gigs when I was on the circuit I only played upscale NH's 99% all had a piano..some one on each floor also Yamaha, Steinway, Kawai,.

Edited by Dnj (08/08/18 05:57 AM)

#455861 - 08/08/18 08:22 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was working, it was rare to run into a NH that DID NOT have a piano, though most were old and out of tune.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed performing the senior circuit. Better hours, better pay, no drunks to put up with, nicer audiences, what's not to like.

When I worked the bar/nite club/restaurant circuit the hours were lousy, the pay was low, had to put up with drunks and some really obnoxious people and if the bar had a bad night, it was always the entertainer's fault - even if there were a blizzard outside.

For the most part, people from all walks of live, regardless of age, just want to be entertained. If you are a good entertainer, you can make a good living in this business, and pretty much do your own thing. The key is being a good entertainer. Musicians, DJs, KJs, etc..., are a dime a dozen. However, the ones that are also good entertainers do very well.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#455866 - 08/08/18 10:02 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Mark, I got a new Korg Havian 30 From 8th Street Music in New Jersey for $999 at the beginning of this year. I just did a Google search and you are right the prices of this instrument have gone up.

Here’s a used on on reverbnation for $1063

https://reverb.com/p/korg-havian-30-88-k...p;hfid=12652294

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#455867 - 08/08/18 10:07 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#455951 - 08/10/18 10:14 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

The FP30 was my first choice for a main piano

Interesting, Bill. I was talking to a keyboard dept manager, that I know real well, in one of the big stores in upstate NY. We talked about everything, but he DID say the same thing. Out of all the keyboards he has in stock, his choice is also the Roland FP series....and the FP 30 for that price range. Now I've just got to find one to try it out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online