SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#455725 - 08/05/18 02:01 PM Talk me out of an FA07....or not.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

No I don't need it but the more I think about it... the more I want it..

No I have no interest in the overpriced Kronos or Montage..

The FA07 seems to do anything I would want to do... Sampling works... Sequencer works.. The Roland library is downloadable.. 16 parts with their own insert effects.. I understand the FA07 has a very playable keybed..

I know what it lacks like aftertouch, touchscreen, sliders.. but it seems to have work arounds.. I understand that all onboard controls are assignable to DAWS..

Integra engine and editing on board...

And the price is right..

So if someone out their owns one ..tell me why I should or should not get an FA07..

#455726 - 08/05/18 03:24 PM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Good luck with the new FA07 Fran its a killer keyboard

enjoy it

Edited by Dnj (08/05/18 03:27 PM)

#455727 - 08/05/18 04:45 PM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

I will disagree with DNJ just to make your decision even more difficult. LOL. No, I do not own one, but I have been in the same boat; contemplating either getting the FA08 or the Integrity 7. If the Kronos is available in rack, I would jump on it. The Kronos is in a different league. So I won't even compare the FA series with the Kronos.

Not that I am telling you what to do one way or another, but I am thinking of my situation and perhaps many other musicians can relate to to it, too. You know Segal's Law; one person with one watch knows what time it is, but the one with two watches is never sure." To a certain degree, I, think, it applies to musicians especially those of us with GAS.

As for me, I already ruled out the FA08. I'd rather stick to a couple of keyboards/controllers and drive modules/rack versions of keyboards. Keyboards take a lot of room and when you replace one, it is not just the keyboard action but the whole thing including sounds will be replaced.

I bought a Code 61 after your post on it. What a great deal! It came with VIP 3.0, too. It was a good buy for me, and it was cheap. Thank you for being a cheap influence! The Code 61 is indeed very nice; good weighted action that somehow both organ and piano players can live with. Many are crying for an 88 key version.

Anyway, because of your "cheap" influence on me, I guess I am trying to do the same to you;it sounds like deep down you don't want it, either, and you don't need it as you said! Haha. Oh, btw, your influence is getting a little more expensive. I'm thinking of getting a Casio PX560! The PX560 driving the Interity 7 makes more senses. Then again, the I7 is more for studio work than for live performance. I've got too many watches. So I have put it on hold.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#455728 - 08/05/18 05:08 PM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Fran, I owned an FA 06 a few years ago.
I really felt the sounds were more geared towards 80s type synth and hip hop...

I thought to my self - if I was a keyboardist for an 80s style pop band this board would have been perrrrrfect.

When it came to bread and butter sounds I felt they weren't very dynamic and lacked the depth and range that you get from the G70. Brass, strings, solo strings, woodwind, guitars just didnt really seem anything special to me...

Its one of those situations like a PSR S970... where it sounds good hearing a recording or a demo. But playing it just keeps you wanting that something "more"...

The Keybed wasnt bad - still playable but still felt sorta toyish to me...

Hope this helps. good luck! :-)

#455729 - 08/05/18 05:56 PM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Fran Carango]
Crossover Offline

Please consider
1) the FA can only load 2 expansions from the SRX library, while the Integra can use 4 simultaneously
2) the FA has very few Supernatural Acoustic tones compared to the Integra, a lot covering pianos and organs, but few others.

#455730 - 08/05/18 06:17 PM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I read all your comments carefully...

I like the Code61 a lot, and I don't see it being replaced with the FA07..

I found that the BK9 sliders can control DAW parameters..

Mixcraft8 Pro studio has all the goodies the FA07 would give me.. sequencing, sampling, audio recording etc.

Adding the FA07 would take away my playing time on my other boards..G70, BK9, and Code61 with SD1000..

I decided to pass on the FA07...

#455743 - 08/06/18 04:04 AM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Whew I'm glad that's over with....or it would of cost me another breakfast!! Just sayin'

#455751 - 08/06/18 05:23 AM Re: Talk me out of an FA07....or not. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

If you are considering the fa07...
You must also consider a used jupiter 80, which has many many more of the super natural sounds and options(even livesets comparable to the yamaha ensemble voices)
Has a structure perfect for performing live..
It only misses the pcm samples which are huge on the fa series and espescially the integra..

The fa series super natural acoustic sounds tend to miss precisely those sounds interesting to arranger players...
There is piano, dp, organ strings and guitars... but no SN Brass, winds percussion Saxes.

For a keyboardist, the FA series is an incredible instrument, where the jupiter 80 still is a dream come true for many...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online