SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#455360 - 07/29/18 08:24 AM Talk me into win 10 from win 7..
Dnj Offline

Talk me into win 10 from win 7..

why do I need to upgrade..?

#455361 - 07/29/18 09:13 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Google has all the answers you need; just type 'windows 10 vs windows 7', and think of all the bandwidth you'll save and suspect opinions you can avoid. Just sayin' smile smile smile.

chas

#455362 - 07/29/18 09:34 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have both, and really see no benefit to upgrading to windows 10 - windows 7 works just fine for everything we do and then some. Plus, you loose some things that were very easy to navigate with windows 7 when you upgrade to windows 10. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! smile

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#455363 - 07/29/18 09:43 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
10 works great and has better security. They will stop supporting 7 sooner or later.

#455364 - 07/29/18 09:52 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
+1 for DonM.

#455370 - 07/29/18 10:33 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
10 works great and has better security. They will stop supporting 7 sooner or later.

Thanx Don....I'll take your word for it just finished the up grade to WIN 10 and all is well... cool2

#455371 - 07/29/18 10:36 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

It does a few things differently, but has some new features that I like a lot.
Since I started using it right after it came out, I have used ONLY the built-in security and have had zero problems.

#455374 - 07/29/18 10:48 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
There is no reason not to upgrade unless you use Microsoft Flight Simulator which doesn’t work correctly, however it is easy to install Virtual Box and run Windows 7 inside Windows 10 for the odd program (Old) that doesn’t work with Windows 10.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in 2015 with extended support (The end) coming in 2020.

Bill

#455375 - 07/29/18 11:06 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
There is no reason not to upgrade unless you use Microsoft Flight Simulator which doesn’t work correctly, however it is easy to install Virtual Box and run Windows 7 inside Windows 10 for the odd program (Old) that doesn’t work with Windows 10.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in 2015 with extended support (The end) coming in 2020.

Bill

Thanx Bill I respect your advice.

#455386 - 07/29/18 12:57 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Hardware drivers...
Windows 7 is no longer supported for newer hardware...

On top of that, a lot of software no longer gets updates for windows 7, so you are forced to use older versions..

Let me ask you another question, is there a reason not to upgrade to windows 10, espescially since it was once a free update?
I will answer this, only on older pc hardware, where there where never windows 10 drivers released..
But i. That case, you ought to buy new hardware anyway, as its obsolete...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455391 - 07/29/18 02:53 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Then there is always Linux! Many variations to choose from and all are free. Mint is great for music activities. Firefox usually comes with it as an optional browser. Updated frequently (for free) and many free add-on software packages available.

I got tired of constant new Windows versions and the cost of their other software. Seems like they expect users to pay for every upgrade and Microsoft was involved in so many shady deals to destroy competitors. Why reward them for bad behavior?

Did I mention that Mint is a graphical user interface? Makes the transition much easier. Don't get me wrong... there is a learning curve but now, you don't need to be a "programmer" to use Linux. I'm told it can reside as a partition on your hard disk drive so it and Windows can run on the same machine... in case your other software investment in Microsoft is too much of a leap to abandon.

I decided to "wean" my internet activities from Windows and dedicate one machine to Linux Mint alone. No complaints.

#455418 - 07/30/18 04:03 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Hardware drivers...
Windows 7 is no longer supported for newer hardware...

On top of that, a lot of software no longer gets updates for windows 7, so you are forced to use older versions..

Let me ask you another question, is there a reason not to upgrade to windows 10, espescially since it was once a free update?
I will answer this, only on older pc hardware, where there where never windows 10 drivers released..
But i. That case, you ought to buy new hardware anyway, as its obsolete...

Still is a free update...took about 30 min but now working great.

#455420 - 07/30/18 04:19 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Riceroni9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Then there is always Linux! Many variations to choose from and all are free. Mint is great for music activities. Firefox usually comes with it as an optional browser. Updated frequently (for free) and many free add-on software packages available.

I got tired of constant new Windows versions and the cost of their other software. Seems like they expect users to pay for every upgrade and Microsoft was involved in so many shady deals to destroy competitors. Why reward them for bad behavior?

Did I mention that Mint is a graphical user interface? Makes the transition much easier. Don't get me wrong... there is a learning curve but now, you don't need to be a "programmer" to use Linux. I'm told it can reside as a partition on your hard disk drive so it and Windows can run on the same machine... in case your other software investment in Microsoft is too much of a leap to abandon.

I decided to "wean" my internet activities from Windows and dedicate one machine to Linux Mint alone. No complaints.

While i consider myself a pro in Linux (i use to teach advanced linux courses at the naval academy) Most of my favourite music software does not work under Linux and is not stable under wine...

When choosing an operation system, you need to make sure the software you want to run works under that OS..

I am currently running mac osx because mainstage as well as my favorite daw Logic X only work umder MAC... also all my vst’s and au units are licensed under mac.. so its not easy to move from mac back to windows for me.. (if i would want to run Varranger) ..and impossible to move to linux..

Linux however (espescially mint which is my favorite client) works definately well for people that just need email, and internet browser, and a word processor ... also its a very nice os for people that have a lot of free time at their hands and want to create their very own interface and look... or don’t mind switching to new software experiences..

There is even ways to run windows software inside the linux environment, as i allready named wine... but also vmware or viual-box allow you to runna virtuall instance of windows.. but again, this is not advisable for pro musician use...

And then there si software that allows you to run all android apps in Linux..

However universal support of touchscreens is still a problem in Linux.. and not all touchscreens (or other hardware) have linux drivers.

#455426 - 07/30/18 05:52 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Bachus:

Great points. I avoid "wine" because of it's association with Microsoft... but this machine is primarily dedicated to internet activities... as you surmised. For my music, I use an off-line Windows XT machine and do my best to keep it from being infected via USB sticks, etc. It has served me well. I never update it.
It works just fine exactly the way it came installed on the PC.

Mint also allows the use of music editing software such as "Audacity" (also free) and it works fine. Unfortunately, I use another editor but would resort to Audacity if no other options were available.

Since I don't perform, touchscreen options are not among my list of things I need. I can see how many of you would require that for using on-stage.

Who knows where we will be in five years software-wise. (I'll probably be residing in an Urn somewhere if my ashes have not already been scattered into the Red River north of Texarkana.)

Thanks for your always informative input.

#455429 - 07/30/18 05:55 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

I also heard that future win 10 updates will be of the modular format so that they can upgrade only certain parts of the OS instead of the whole thing ..

#455440 - 07/30/18 07:52 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Bachus:

Great points. I avoid "wine" because of it's association with Microsoft... but this machine is primarily dedicated to internet activities... as you surmised. For my music, I use an off-line Windows XT machine and do my best to keep it from being infected via USB sticks, etc. It has served me well. I never update it.
It works just fine exactly the way it came installed on the PC.

Mint also allows the use of music editing software such as "Audacity" (also free) and it works fine. Unfortunately, I use another editor but would resort to Audacity if no other options were available.

Since I don't perform, touchscreen options are not among my list of things I need. I can see how many of you would require that for using on-stage.

Who knows where we will be in five years software-wise. (I'll probably be residing in an Urn somewhere if my ashes have not already been scattered into the Red River north of Texarkana.)

Thanks for your always informative input.

Please have them scattered South of Shreveport; I FISH in that river! smile

#455442 - 07/30/18 08:22 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Sorry: I suppose I'll have them scattered in the old family plot at Rondo. Song-writing Fever is highly contagious and they say most of the "Red Tides" in the oceans and rivers are caused by this malady. LOL! Wouldn't want to deprive the man from Benton from one of life's great pleasures. An old Hog being dumped in the River in LSU Territory would not be a good thing. Tigers would be turning red.

OT - we finally got some rain this morning. Too late to save my lawn but some of the shrubs might actually survive.

#455461 - 07/30/18 02:48 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Yeah, I had just about got all my grass to die, and along comes the rain and it's growing again. It makes my wife really tired keeping up with it, even though I was thoughtful enough to get her a genuine RIDING mower. Still, it cuts into cooking and cleaning time, since she works full time and only has a few hours each day after work.
As a reward, I sometimes let her sleep with me.

#455467 - 07/30/18 03:54 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

You better hope that Susan doesn't see the above post. If she does, I hope she lets me know about the funeral arrangements. wink

Gary cool

#455472 - 07/30/18 05:25 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

I'm not sure if your response is sheer bravery... reckless abandon, or an invitation to a quick funeral??? LOL!

Gary knows! At least he's keeping the deer population in good supply up there not far from Baltimore.

#455474 - 07/30/18 05:42 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, my security camera during the past week has recorded deer every night and every day. Every time the cell phone alarm goes off, it's a deer that has triggered the camera. Just amazing at the number of critters I have roaming around here. Thank goodness, most are four legged. wink

Gary cool

#455481 - 07/30/18 08:03 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

We live about the equivalent of a city block away from the Paluxy River which flows from Erath County, through Hood County briefly and then through Somervell and our sleepy little town of Glen Rose. (West Mayberry in my thinking... LOL!) and onto the Brazos River about two miles downstream from Glen Rose.

When we first moved here about ten years ago, there was a large 40 acre pasture behind our house and the wild-life would use it to journey through on their way to the River. Deer, Coyotes, Wild Turkey, Foxes and all manner of wild birds and Hawks would stop and devour our flowers, graze on our lawn during the night and leave lots of "smart pills" on our sidewalk as a form of payment. Now the field is being turned into another quaint neighborhood and the critters are pretty wary about coming through... and yet, every now and then we see them dashing past.

Can't help but feel sorry for them being displaced. At least, for the present, they have a couple of routes from the mountain down to the River. So far, most of our critters are of the wild variety or happen to be joggers or folks intent on fishing.

Be well and keep sailing when you are feeling "up to it."

All the best, ----Dave

#455483 - 07/30/18 10:51 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Same thing here. When we moved "out" here in the country, there were all kinds of animals. You could hear coyotes howling every night. Deer, rabbits, squirrels, plenty of quail, doves, etc. Now houses everywhere...the vacant lot next door has a big house on it, the dead-end street where we were the last house is now another sub-division.
The golf course in the back yard has closed. It's still undeveloped so far...but probably not for long. Progress, I suppose.

#455489 - 07/31/18 04:44 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Same thing here. When we moved "out" here in the country, there were all kinds of animals. You could hear coyotes howling every night. Deer, rabbits, squirrels, plenty of quail, doves, etc. Now houses everywhere...the vacant lot next door has a big house on it, the dead-end street where we were the last house is now another sub-division.
The golf course in the back yard has closed. It's still undeveloped so far...but probably not for long. Progress, I suppose.

Same here out in the Pines Don it's like Safari Adventure !!!

#455490 - 07/31/18 04:53 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Yep, some things are the same everywhere, like you allways returning to the high end PSR-S Yamaha arranger.

#455492 - 07/31/18 05:04 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Yep, some things are the same everywhere, like you allways returning to the high end PSR-S Yamaha arranger.

Bachus My musical needs change all the time.....
when it rains you open an umbrella.....
when the sun shines you put on sunglasses....
I'm sure you can understand what I'm saying... cool2

#455493 - 07/31/18 06:39 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

I know, i know, i know

Glad i left that behind, since i don't leave the home anymore, i am covered with my current setup...

#455494 - 07/31/18 06:42 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

I know, i know, i know

Glad i left that behind, since i don't leave the home anymore, i am covered with my current setup...

Ώπα

Edited by Dnj (07/31/18 06:43 AM)

#455499 - 07/31/18 09:16 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
So Donny, is linguistics your new hobby?

smile

chas

#455504 - 07/31/18 10:54 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m late to the discussion but here’s my 2 cents. I worked as an MIS manager in the Windows world for 15 years and have rarely used a Windoze machine since retiring 5 years ago from full time work. My wife has one that she rarely fires up but once in a while I’ll do the updates to it. She prefers an iPad because of its simplicity.

With that said back in 2007 we bought an iMac, in 2009 added a refurbished MacBook Pro that I still use today. I replaced the battery and added some RAM and installed an SSD in the laptop. So here it is 9 years later and it has been trouble free as is my iMac that I replaced in 2012. Yea i know some despise Apple and today they have become rip off artists with their pricing of equipment.

Last but not least don’t overlook a Google Chromebook. For $200 I bought an ASUS Chromebook with a metal case that looks more like a $1000 Mac Book air. And it is durable as the MacBook Air. Yes you have to have a live internet connection to use it and most of the time tasks are done via the Chrome browser. It boots in about 10 seconds, it’s virus free and in the unlikely event of a problem the Chromebooks have a built in utility called POWERWASH, click that utility and the computer is restored to out of the box condition.

I have people who regularly ask me for help with their Windows machines and I’ll help them if they need it, but it’s unlikely I’ll ever go back to using Windows unless I absolutely have to.

P.S. By the way it was our friend Ed Shoemaker that mentioned I may want to investigate the Asus Chromebook, he was right on with the suggestion.

Edited by Stephenm52 (07/31/18 10:55 AM)

#455612 - 08/02/18 11:51 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I tried Win10, it's not for me too many large updates forced onto me.
My wife has Win10 on her new HP Laptop. You can't stop the updates completely but you can reduce them by setting PC to Dial up connection, but it then blocks off other options.

I have returned to Win 7 Ultimate. My morel is stay with something you know.

#455614 - 08/03/18 04:13 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Graham UK]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Graham UK
I tried Win10, it's not for me too many large updates forced onto me.
My wife has Win10 on her new HP Laptop. You can't stop the updates completely but you can reduce them by setting PC to Dial up connection, but it then blocks off other options.

I have returned to Win 7 Ultimate. My morel is stay with something you know.

I dont see many reasons these days dor not having daily updates, it keeps the os save and up to date...

Bandwith is almost for free thses days

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online