SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#455391 - 07/29/18 02:53 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Then there is always Linux! Many variations to choose from and all are free. Mint is great for music activities. Firefox usually comes with it as an optional browser. Updated frequently (for free) and many free add-on software packages available.

I got tired of constant new Windows versions and the cost of their other software. Seems like they expect users to pay for every upgrade and Microsoft was involved in so many shady deals to destroy competitors. Why reward them for bad behavior?

Did I mention that Mint is a graphical user interface? Makes the transition much easier. Don't get me wrong... there is a learning curve but now, you don't need to be a "programmer" to use Linux. I'm told it can reside as a partition on your hard disk drive so it and Windows can run on the same machine... in case your other software investment in Microsoft is too much of a leap to abandon.

I decided to "wean" my internet activities from Windows and dedicate one machine to Linux Mint alone. No complaints.

#455418 - 07/30/18 04:03 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Hardware drivers...
Windows 7 is no longer supported for newer hardware...

On top of that, a lot of software no longer gets updates for windows 7, so you are forced to use older versions..

Let me ask you another question, is there a reason not to upgrade to windows 10, espescially since it was once a free update?
I will answer this, only on older pc hardware, where there where never windows 10 drivers released..
But i. That case, you ought to buy new hardware anyway, as its obsolete...

Still is a free update...took about 30 min but now working great.

#455420 - 07/30/18 04:19 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Riceroni9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Then there is always Linux! Many variations to choose from and all are free. Mint is great for music activities. Firefox usually comes with it as an optional browser. Updated frequently (for free) and many free add-on software packages available.

I got tired of constant new Windows versions and the cost of their other software. Seems like they expect users to pay for every upgrade and Microsoft was involved in so many shady deals to destroy competitors. Why reward them for bad behavior?

Did I mention that Mint is a graphical user interface? Makes the transition much easier. Don't get me wrong... there is a learning curve but now, you don't need to be a "programmer" to use Linux. I'm told it can reside as a partition on your hard disk drive so it and Windows can run on the same machine... in case your other software investment in Microsoft is too much of a leap to abandon.

I decided to "wean" my internet activities from Windows and dedicate one machine to Linux Mint alone. No complaints.

While i consider myself a pro in Linux (i use to teach advanced linux courses at the naval academy) Most of my favourite music software does not work under Linux and is not stable under wine...

When choosing an operation system, you need to make sure the software you want to run works under that OS..

I am currently running mac osx because mainstage as well as my favorite daw Logic X only work umder MAC... also all my vst’s and au units are licensed under mac.. so its not easy to move from mac back to windows for me.. (if i would want to run Varranger) ..and impossible to move to linux..

Linux however (espescially mint which is my favorite client) works definately well for people that just need email, and internet browser, and a word processor ... also its a very nice os for people that have a lot of free time at their hands and want to create their very own interface and look... or don’t mind switching to new software experiences..

There is even ways to run windows software inside the linux environment, as i allready named wine... but also vmware or viual-box allow you to runna virtuall instance of windows.. but again, this is not advisable for pro musician use...

And then there si software that allows you to run all android apps in Linux..

However universal support of touchscreens is still a problem in Linux.. and not all touchscreens (or other hardware) have linux drivers.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455426 - 07/30/18 05:52 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Bachus:

Great points. I avoid "wine" because of it's association with Microsoft... but this machine is primarily dedicated to internet activities... as you surmised. For my music, I use an off-line Windows XT machine and do my best to keep it from being infected via USB sticks, etc. It has served me well. I never update it.
It works just fine exactly the way it came installed on the PC.

Mint also allows the use of music editing software such as "Audacity" (also free) and it works fine. Unfortunately, I use another editor but would resort to Audacity if no other options were available.

Since I don't perform, touchscreen options are not among my list of things I need. I can see how many of you would require that for using on-stage.

Who knows where we will be in five years software-wise. (I'll probably be residing in an Urn somewhere if my ashes have not already been scattered into the Red River north of Texarkana.)

Thanks for your always informative input.

#455429 - 07/30/18 05:55 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

I also heard that future win 10 updates will be of the modular format so that they can upgrade only certain parts of the OS instead of the whole thing ..

#455440 - 07/30/18 07:52 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Bachus:

Great points. I avoid "wine" because of it's association with Microsoft... but this machine is primarily dedicated to internet activities... as you surmised. For my music, I use an off-line Windows XT machine and do my best to keep it from being infected via USB sticks, etc. It has served me well. I never update it.
It works just fine exactly the way it came installed on the PC.

Mint also allows the use of music editing software such as "Audacity" (also free) and it works fine. Unfortunately, I use another editor but would resort to Audacity if no other options were available.

Since I don't perform, touchscreen options are not among my list of things I need. I can see how many of you would require that for using on-stage.

Who knows where we will be in five years software-wise. (I'll probably be residing in an Urn somewhere if my ashes have not already been scattered into the Red River north of Texarkana.)

Thanks for your always informative input.

Please have them scattered South of Shreveport; I FISH in that river! smile

#455442 - 07/30/18 08:22 AM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Sorry: I suppose I'll have them scattered in the old family plot at Rondo. Song-writing Fever is highly contagious and they say most of the "Red Tides" in the oceans and rivers are caused by this malady. LOL! Wouldn't want to deprive the man from Benton from one of life's great pleasures. An old Hog being dumped in the River in LSU Territory would not be a good thing. Tigers would be turning red.

OT - we finally got some rain this morning. Too late to save my lawn but some of the shrubs might actually survive.

#455461 - 07/30/18 02:48 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yeah, I had just about got all my grass to die, and along comes the rain and it's growing again. It makes my wife really tired keeping up with it, even though I was thoughtful enough to get her a genuine RIDING mower. Still, it cuts into cooking and cleaning time, since she works full time and only has a few hours each day after work.
As a reward, I sometimes let her sleep with me.

#455467 - 07/30/18 03:54 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You better hope that Susan doesn't see the above post. If she does, I hope she lets me know about the funeral arrangements. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#455472 - 07/30/18 05:25 PM Re: Talk me into win 10 from win 7.. [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

I'm not sure if your response is sheer bravery... reckless abandon, or an invitation to a quick funeral??? LOL!

Gary knows! At least he's keeping the deer population in good supply up there not far from Baltimore.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online