SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454692 - 07/14/18 09:46 PM patter for the people
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
On the retirement community and long-term care, etc circuit, I find I'm now doing probably 50% talking and 50% playing. No joke telling, but interesting stories regarding music......anything and everything.

My homework involves writing down whatever I come across that I think might go over well to accompany the music. I get info from television, radio, reading, people, movies, Youtube, the Internet....just about everywhere. I also get a lot of usable info from the Michael Feinstein series (The Great American Songbook) on PBS.

In all fairness, I find just about most everything interesting anyhow and that's how I started this whole thing. And lucky I did, because it really comes in handy now. All the notes I’ve made over the years. The talking portion has rejuvenated me a whole lot….sometimes on stage facing the audience and sometimes going right out there with them and talking direct.

So, I’m leading up to……..how about you? Do you find yourself talking more to the audience and what ideas have YOU come up with for material?

Some of my own stuff:

Because the Star Spangled Banner has a vocal range of 1 ½ octaves and it’s difficult to sing, other songs were being considered for the American National Anthem: America (My Country, Tis of Thee)……America the Beautiful…..God Bless America….This Land is Your Land (Woody Guthrie) (play each one).

Why the lyrics to the song Little Things Mean A Lot make it as popular today as it was when it was first written.

The Blue Danube Waltz is the most recognized song on the planet.

The three most sung songs in America are in this order: 1) The Star-Spangled Banner 2) Happy Birthday 3) Take Me Out to the Ballgame

The Irving Berlin repertoire (and history) of songs that many people don’t even know he wrote…..first hit song: Alexander’s Ragtime Band….followed by White Christmas... Blue Skies... Puttin’ on the Ritz... Always... God Bless America... Cheek to Cheek... Top Hat White Tie and Tails... Easter Parade... There’s No Business Like Show , etc

Easter Parade……Irving Berlin wrote it around 1918 with the original title being “Smile and Show Your Dimple.” It was a flop but he revived it in the 30’s and renamed it Easter Parade for the movie Holiday Inn.

Neil Diamond wrote so many hit songs that he gave away “I’m a Believer” to the Monkees for free.

The “My Way” story, of course, and a little info on (the real) Frank Sinatra.

And, don’t forget Elvis. He didn't just burst onto the scene with Heartbreak Hotel. He was doing Country and his first recorded "hit" was this one in 1955 and on a 78 record no less:

You're welcome to use my ideas if you feel they'll work for you.

#454703 - 07/15/18 05:06 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I have had a few friends who played the senior nursing home circuit booted and never asked to return because of 50% talkin means 50% less music being played which that's what you're hired to do 15 to 30 seconds in between songs is more than enough patter to introduce it which in turn increases the number of songs you can play in an hour....

Edited by Dnj (07/15/18 05:08 AM)

#454705 - 07/15/18 05:36 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
50% talkin means 50% less music being played which that's what you're hired to do

Agree. I've never worked a NH but that's certainly true in every other venue. Generally speaking, we're way more interesting to ourselves than we are to other people. I can barely make it through even a factory demo that's 50% talk. I want to HEAR what an instrument can do, not what you SAY it can do. JMO.

chas

#454708 - 07/15/18 06:10 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
As an interested "bystander"... (nearing the age of being dragged away to a nursing home)... I believe the running commentary about all things musical... between songs... will brighten the day of the audience. They are prisoners of sorts and little tidbits of information can enhance your performance... if your delivery is in the style of a showman with a big heart.

Of course... the music is the most important aspect... but if it is working for you... and there are no complaints from the audience or management... IF IT AIN'T BROKE... Don't fix it!

How you guys muster up the courage to do these performances amazes me and I hope Arranger Artists will be around when I am "shut away." LOL!

Thanks for sharing... and I certainly don't mean to show disdain or knock the opinions of two great SZ talents... I just want you all to know there are usually two sides to every topic.

So glad to see you posting again, Donny.

#454709 - 07/15/18 06:16 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Before this goes South with talking vrs. less talking its called "Entertainment" Whatever works for your audience is good. Victor Borge found out his comedy and talking was more effective then his virtuoso piano technique.
Right now the hottest act around here is A Dueling Piano setup with a guy and girl using medium quality digital pianos in faux baby grand shells and reading Ipads. No great piano chops or vocals, no 5k digital sounds, just talking, jokes, requests and sing alongs.
Entertainment is what sells.

#454715 - 07/15/18 07:44 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The retirement communities where I performed would have dumped me in a heartbeat if I would have spent 10 seconds talking between songs. They came to hear me play, sing and those that could, wanted to dance non-stop.

Good luck, Mark,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454716 - 07/15/18 08:07 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Mark79100

So, I’m leading up to……..how about you? Do you find yourself talking more to the audience and what ideas have YOU come up with for material?

Before I retired from the business, I absolutely did something similar. I used trivia acquired from the Internet, usually music-related. I also told stories or jokes from off the top of my head. I found that it went over just as well as the music and was a good way to break up the performance. So, yes I think it's a great idea.

#454718 - 07/15/18 08:26 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100

And, don’t forget Elvis.

Favorite Elvis tune:

"A little less conversation, a little more action"

smile

chas

#454719 - 07/15/18 09:39 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have accumulated a lot of one-liners over the years, and they usually go over well. My wife tells me to play and sing and don't talk much and she is usually right.
A lot depends on the venue and the audience.

#454722 - 07/15/18 10:11 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I’m a man of few words and I hate “dead time” between songs, I try to to go from song to song without stopping. But a few years ago I did have an activities director request that I talk a little bit more between songs. She told me the banter between songs would keep the older folks more engaged and less likely to drift off. So I started talking a bit between songs. Generally I say the title of the
song, the artst that made it famous and maybe the year the song came out. I try to research the songs and find out anything interesting about the songs.
Sometimes I do some music trivia with the older folks too. I’ll play a song and ask if anyone can name the tune, the artist, year, and maybe the movie or show it was featured in. This often leads to conversations, jokes, laughter or people recalling memories of the good old days. It’s all good, but I find you need to very tactful and not let someone break the momentum of your show. I do most of my chit chat before or after the show and have formed some nice relationships with some the more lucid residents.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#454731 - 07/15/18 12:09 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
For me it depends on the venue and the audience ... if it's a dancing crowd, very little patter, except for maybe "... here's a song recorded in 19something by whomever..." if it's primarily a 'sit down' we're just hear to listen audience, I will add a little something about the song or the artist(s) that recorded it ...

PS: I LOVE listening to Elvis' original SUN Label recordings: That's All Right,Mama; I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine; I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone; Blue Moon of Kentucky; etc. guitar, stand up bass, high hat cymbal, snare, bass drum ... simple ...

#454733 - 07/15/18 12:33 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello Friends

At least from most of all the Phoenix and Metro Area, the people like more music than talking, a friend of mine that also plays, he has ADD, and sometimes he talks to much between songs, and that has hurt him.....

I keep it musically continuos, perhaps a remark here and there, but no more.

My 2 Cents

Manuel

#454734 - 07/15/18 01:12 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
For me it depends on the venue and the audience ... if it's a dancing crowd, very little patter, except for maybe "... here's a song recorded in 19something by whomever..." if it's primarily a 'sit down' we're just hear to listen audience, I will add a little something about the song or the artist(s) that recorded it ...

PS: I LOVE listening to Elvis' original SUN Label recordings: That's All Right,Mama; I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine; I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone; Blue Moon of Kentucky; etc. guitar, stand up bass, high hat cymbal, snare, bass drum ... simple ...

You'll like THIS then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0OdyUSoQw

#454735 - 07/15/18 01:27 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Sounds like an occasional humorous one-liner between songs is the way to go. Anything more and it sounds like you've got a limited repertoire and you're trying to stretch it smile.

chas

#454736 - 07/15/18 01:43 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks for the link Don. Like it.

I am with the majority in that I will throw out a quick remark about title and date. I have one group of challenged people that talk above each other, and if I open it up too much, bedlam ensues. They are a great group, but you have to keep control.

#454737 - 07/15/18 01:48 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Uncle Dave will love number 18! smile

#454738 - 07/15/18 02:58 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Sounds like an occasional humorous one-liner between songs is the way to go. Anything more and it sounds like you've got a limited repertoire and you're trying to stretch it smile.
chas

Yep ...

#454751 - 07/15/18 11:40 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I have had a few friends who played the senior nursing home circuit booted and never asked to return because of 50% talkin means 50% less music being played which that's what you're hired to do 15 to 30 seconds in between songs is more than enough patter to introduce it which in turn increases the number of songs you can play in an hour....

Donny.....I'm not sure I understand. Are you now saying DON'T do whatever you have to do to entertain like you've been advocating in the past?

#454752 - 07/15/18 11:47 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

Chas......the reason Victor Borge was so succesful was because his audience knew the dude could play. And he did in his act often enough to remind them of that side of him. That's how I get away with it...a lot of talkin' but also a lot of good music when I'm not talkin' (notice the talkin' instead of talking?). smile

#454753 - 07/15/18 11:51 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I LOVE listening to Elvis' original SUN Label recordings: That's All Right,Mama; I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine; I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone; Blue Moon of Kentucky; etc.

You'll like THIS then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0OdyUSoQw

Don......I really have to thank you for digging this up. I'm with Tony when it comes to songs like this. So much so.....I recorded the whole 52 minutes. Now I can be in Hillbilly Heaven whenever I want.

#454765 - 07/16/18 06:57 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Here I go again, stirring up trouble... LOL! Being a highly unsuccessful songwriter... I think it is only fair that you talented performers mention the name of the songwriter before performing each song! To coin a phrase by Rodney Dangerfield... "We Don't Get No Respect!" (Just kidding, guys!)

#454773 - 07/16/18 10:28 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - interesting topic ... for me, it depends on the gig also. For most Retirement Community (senior) type gigs, they want it "concert style", so I do some talking between songs. I'd say it comes out to 10-15% talking, and 85-90% music. I've been told be many that they like hearing a bit of interesting info about the songs, the music, etc., and I'm always asked to come back. What I don't do is tell "one-liners" or jokes ... my personality just doesn't work for that ... but sometimes I do find interesting info to tell them, that does give them a "chuckle" now and then. I usually play 2 or 3 songs as medleys, then do some talking, then another 2-3 songs etc. I take requests, do sing-alongs etc., which breaks it up to give them something different (depending on the gig and audience of course).

If it's a background-music gig, no talking. If it's a dance, very little talking. But if it's one of my typical "mini-concert-style" jobs, I do a bit of talking.

Jim

#454809 - 07/16/18 10:10 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By jimlaing
I've been told be many that they like hearing a bit of interesting info about the songs, the music, etc., and I'm always asked to come back.

Hi, Jim. Yes, I've been told the same thing. But still I don't take chances. I actually ask the audience after maybe 5-10 minutes if they want to hear mainly music or they'd like to have talking in between. All of them so far say the latter. Many have said it makes the show much more engaging. But I always stay aware of when it's time to talk and when it's time to hit the keys.

What I don't do is tell "one-liners" or jokes

me neither...that's a big no-no in today's politically charged world. In the context of a joke, you're playing with dynamite with every single word you say. Smooth, easy stories are less toxic.

I do find interesting info to tell them, that does give them a "chuckle" now and then. I usually play 2 or 3 songs as medleys, then do some talking, then another 2-3 songs etc. I take requests, do sing-alongs etc., which breaks it up to give them something different (depending on the gig and audience of course).

Yep....that's the formula that works for me too. It's kind of like, I love Opera, but I don't know a thing about it. When someone explains the story behind what I'm listening to, I appreciate it so much more.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online