On the retirement community and long-term care, etc circuit, I find I'm now doing probably 50% talking and 50% playing. No joke telling, but interesting stories regarding music......anything and everything.

My homework involves writing down whatever I come across that I think might go over well to accompany the music. I get info from television, radio, reading, people, movies, Youtube, the Internet....just about everywhere. I also get a lot of usable info from the Michael Feinstein series (The Great American Songbook) on PBS.

In all fairness, I find just about most everything interesting anyhow and that's how I started this whole thing. And lucky I did, because it really comes in handy now. All the notes I’ve made over the years. The talking portion has rejuvenated me a whole lot….sometimes on stage facing the audience and sometimes going right out there with them and talking direct.

So, I’m leading up to……..how about you? Do you find yourself talking more to the audience and what ideas have YOU come up with for material?

Some of my own stuff:

Because the Star Spangled Banner has a vocal range of 1 ½ octaves and it’s difficult to sing, other songs were being considered for the American National Anthem: America (My Country, Tis of Thee)……America the Beautiful…..God Bless America….This Land is Your Land (Woody Guthrie) (play each one).

Why the lyrics to the song Little Things Mean A Lot make it as popular today as it was when it was first written.

The Blue Danube Waltz is the most recognized song on the planet.

The three most sung songs in America are in this order: 1) The Star-Spangled Banner 2) Happy Birthday 3) Take Me Out to the Ballgame

The Irving Berlin repertoire (and history) of songs that many people don’t even know he wrote…..first hit song: Alexander’s Ragtime Band….followed by White Christmas... Blue Skies... Puttin’ on the Ritz... Always... God Bless America... Cheek to Cheek... Top Hat White Tie and Tails... Easter Parade... There’s No Business Like Show , etc

Easter Parade……Irving Berlin wrote it around 1918 with the original title being “Smile and Show Your Dimple.” It was a flop but he revived it in the 30’s and renamed it Easter Parade for the movie Holiday Inn.

Neil Diamond wrote so many hit songs that he gave away “I’m a Believer” to the Monkees for free.

The “My Way” story, of course, and a little info on (the real) Frank Sinatra.

And, don’t forget Elvis. He didn't just burst onto the scene with Heartbreak Hotel. He was doing Country and his first recorded "hit" was this one in 1955 and on a 78 record no less:

You're welcome to use my ideas if you feel they'll work for you.