SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#454765 - 07/16/18 06:57 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Here I go again, stirring up trouble... LOL! Being a highly unsuccessful songwriter... I think it is only fair that you talented performers mention the name of the songwriter before performing each song! To coin a phrase by Rodney Dangerfield... "We Don't Get No Respect!" (Just kidding, guys!)

#454773 - 07/16/18 10:28 AM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - interesting topic ... for me, it depends on the gig also. For most Retirement Community (senior) type gigs, they want it "concert style", so I do some talking between songs. I'd say it comes out to 10-15% talking, and 85-90% music. I've been told be many that they like hearing a bit of interesting info about the songs, the music, etc., and I'm always asked to come back. What I don't do is tell "one-liners" or jokes ... my personality just doesn't work for that ... but sometimes I do find interesting info to tell them, that does give them a "chuckle" now and then. I usually play 2 or 3 songs as medleys, then do some talking, then another 2-3 songs etc. I take requests, do sing-alongs etc., which breaks it up to give them something different (depending on the gig and audience of course).

If it's a background-music gig, no talking. If it's a dance, very little talking. But if it's one of my typical "mini-concert-style" jobs, I do a bit of talking.

Jim

#454809 - 07/16/18 10:10 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By jimlaing
I've been told be many that they like hearing a bit of interesting info about the songs, the music, etc., and I'm always asked to come back.

Hi, Jim. Yes, I've been told the same thing. But still I don't take chances. I actually ask the audience after maybe 5-10 minutes if they want to hear mainly music or they'd like to have talking in between. All of them so far say the latter. Many have said it makes the show much more engaging. But I always stay aware of when it's time to talk and when it's time to hit the keys.

What I don't do is tell "one-liners" or jokes

me neither...that's a big no-no in today's politically charged world. In the context of a joke, you're playing with dynamite with every single word you say. Smooth, easy stories are less toxic.

I do find interesting info to tell them, that does give them a "chuckle" now and then. I usually play 2 or 3 songs as medleys, then do some talking, then another 2-3 songs etc. I take requests, do sing-alongs etc., which breaks it up to give them something different (depending on the gig and audience of course).

Yep....that's the formula that works for me too. It's kind of like, I love Opera, but I don't know a thing about it. When someone explains the story behind what I'm listening to, I appreciate it so much more.

Mark

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online