SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454731 - 07/15/18 12:09 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
For me it depends on the venue and the audience ... if it's a dancing crowd, very little patter, except for maybe "... here's a song recorded in 19something by whomever..." if it's primarily a 'sit down' we're just hear to listen audience, I will add a little something about the song or the artist(s) that recorded it ...

PS: I LOVE listening to Elvis' original SUN Label recordings: That's All Right,Mama; I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine; I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone; Blue Moon of Kentucky; etc. guitar, stand up bass, high hat cymbal, snare, bass drum ... simple ...

#454733 - 07/15/18 12:33 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello Friends

At least from most of all the Phoenix and Metro Area, the people like more music than talking, a friend of mine that also plays, he has ADD, and sometimes he talks to much between songs, and that has hurt him.....

I keep it musically continuos, perhaps a remark here and there, but no more.

My 2 Cents

Manuel

#454734 - 07/15/18 01:12 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
For me it depends on the venue and the audience ... if it's a dancing crowd, very little patter, except for maybe "... here's a song recorded in 19something by whomever..." if it's primarily a 'sit down' we're just hear to listen audience, I will add a little something about the song or the artist(s) that recorded it ...

PS: I LOVE listening to Elvis' original SUN Label recordings: That's All Right,Mama; I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine; I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone; Blue Moon of Kentucky; etc. guitar, stand up bass, high hat cymbal, snare, bass drum ... simple ...

You'll like THIS then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0OdyUSoQw

#454735 - 07/15/18 01:27 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sounds like an occasional humorous one-liner between songs is the way to go. Anything more and it sounds like you've got a limited repertoire and you're trying to stretch it smile.

chas

#454736 - 07/15/18 01:43 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks for the link Don. Like it.

I am with the majority in that I will throw out a quick remark about title and date. I have one group of challenged people that talk above each other, and if I open it up too much, bedlam ensues. They are a great group, but you have to keep control.

#454737 - 07/15/18 01:48 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Uncle Dave will love number 18! smile

#454738 - 07/15/18 02:58 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Sounds like an occasional humorous one-liner between songs is the way to go. Anything more and it sounds like you've got a limited repertoire and you're trying to stretch it smile.
chas

Yep ...

#454751 - 07/15/18 11:40 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I have had a few friends who played the senior nursing home circuit booted and never asked to return because of 50% talkin means 50% less music being played which that's what you're hired to do 15 to 30 seconds in between songs is more than enough patter to introduce it which in turn increases the number of songs you can play in an hour....

Donny.....I'm not sure I understand. Are you now saying DON'T do whatever you have to do to entertain like you've been advocating in the past?

#454752 - 07/15/18 11:47 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

Chas......the reason Victor Borge was so succesful was because his audience knew the dude could play. And he did in his act often enough to remind them of that side of him. That's how I get away with it...a lot of talkin' but also a lot of good music when I'm not talkin' (notice the talkin' instead of talking?). smile

#454753 - 07/15/18 11:51 PM Re: patter for the people [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I LOVE listening to Elvis' original SUN Label recordings: That's All Right,Mama; I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine; I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone; Blue Moon of Kentucky; etc.

You'll like THIS then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0OdyUSoQw

Don......I really have to thank you for digging this up. I'm with Tony when it comes to songs like this. So much so.....I recorded the whole 52 minutes. Now I can be in Hillbilly Heaven whenever I want.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online