SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454175 - 06/30/18 08:12 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Because I've been relatively poor most of my life, I always figured if you wanted something fixed right, you better figure on fixing it yourself. That policy seems to be the best, at least for me. I can fix damned near anything, including my Central AC system at home, and all the things on my boat. Though I'm now beginning to feel that I'm too damned old to do this kind of stuff, I still manage to get things done. Now I have to shoot a damned deer that keeps eating all my beautiful flower buds. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454176 - 06/30/18 08:46 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: Riceroni9]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Riceroni9
We had plenty of good manufacturing plants scattered all over the country then. Lets hope it returns to that level soon.

Rice...It probably ain't gonna happen. The toothpaste is out of the tube most likely never to find it’s way back. Harley-Davidson is the latest to defect and soon to be followed by another wave of exiting manufacturers trying to eke out a living.

The bottom line strikes again. It supersedes the welfare of the American people. We’ve been living NOT the American Dream but the American Nightmare all along without realizing it. Now it’s come to the end of the road and we’re paying the price for all of those days of living in Camelot. Even if new manufacturing facilities open up, the jobs will quickly be filled by new immigrants pouring into this country who are only too happy to work for low wages.

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Don mentioned competing with "Internet Based" companies... and I wonder if the new law about taxation will begin to level the playing field?

My own take on that is a big NO! Reason being it WAS about taxation at one time, now it’s about convenience and laziness (people want everything done for them and brought to them), and mass congested traffic on the roads leading to actual stores, English as a second language now if you need help in the store (unless you want to navigate it with a GPS), masses of people in the stores so that you can’t walk 10 feet without bumping into someone or falling over their cart, or maybe you're just plain too tired at the end of the day to go shopping.

But good Internet prices are still making it attractive (if you don’t get a counterfeit version of what you order.....and.....you take a gamble on what a cologne smells like…..and those shoes you order in your size actually fit your feet!).

I was watching a documentary on traffic "road rage" on the roads in Denver, Colorado. I remember saying to myself, where I live must probably be a "magic carpet ride" compared to what drivers in other cities go through.

I long ago gave up trying to navigate our highways to get anywhere. I don't even order anything on the Net. Easier to just not buy anything and save the money for the Pa5x!

#454178 - 06/30/18 09:04 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Don....thanks for bringing this topic up. It's not really "off-topic" as it DOES relate to musicians in this way.

I remember back in grammar school a teacher told us something like "always be aware of what's happening in the world at all times, because ANYTHING and EVERYTHING will eventually affect YOU."

In my neck of the woods here, it's what you described and more. So much more, I can't get anything done in any given day because people, not doing their job right (or not doing it at all), are becoming major obstacles. Heck, I called my telephone company to discuss my account and was told "all Customer Service agents are busy helping other customers. If you choose to hold, the "wait time" is appx 1 hour and 23 minutes."

It's no wonder I can't learn "walking bass".......can't concentrate with stuff like this happening all the time!

I'd really like to hear what's going on in other parts of the country......maybe I'm living in a fantasy world, thinking when I finally move away from here, I'll encounter competent service people again!

#454185 - 07/01/18 06:15 AM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Generaly speaking people's views can change in a split second if they won a $500,000.00 lottery. Then having things go the way they want them to go would not be as great an issue.

JohnC.

#454197 - 07/01/18 12:02 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Its amazing that these people in these businesses survive. We as musicians screw up and become unreliable and we're done.
While in Cape May NJ the term for getting something done was "Cape Maybe"
Down here in the South its not only the slower pace but the big lack of available workers. My neighbor is a transplanted electrician from NY and can't find reliable workers even thought he pays more than anyone else and will train them. He's a big proponent of college is not for everyone and you can make a damn good living as a skilled craftsman or tech.
Restaurants here are cutting hours because they can't find enough staff.
The work ethic has changed.

#454199 - 07/01/18 01:10 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gee, what happened to "the immigrants are taking all our jobs". What a bunch of crap. Seems like we'll look for any excuse to justify our worst instincts. Raise your hand if you've had a job taken away from you by an illegal immigrant (and what job was it? Picking fruit or digging ditches?). I think Bill's description of the job situation is closer to the truth.

chas

#454205 - 07/01/18 04:29 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I waited over 7 hours for a repair tech from internet company to fix my problem. Arriving in her, yes her, 13th hour of work, she tried an equipment change that didn't worked and promised to return next morning. Finally fame back 3 days later, because of being dispatched elsewhere for those days, and fixed the problem. Not enough techs to make repair appointments. Those 4 hour windows are a joke with this company. Understaffed and overbooked the repair techs themselves are good people who do good work, but they are getting driven into the ground..I, as a tradesman, can't believe nobody wants these jobs..I guess its easier to sit on the couch??? Who pays you for that?

Then again, I don't know many younger twenty something folks who want to work outside in the heat, cold, rain or snow occasionally...but will go to the beach or snowboarding in the same conditions for fun..
And that same age group doesn't like authority figures, like dispatchers,supervisors, or bosses in general...

#454289 - 07/03/18 10:27 AM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Same here, Don. A grandfather clock repair, a vinyl seat repair, completion of a porch extension...a guy promising to take out a tree and replace a piece if sidewalk...Service on a B-3, replacement of a rifle stock.

I'm waiting on all these guys and more. Plus, I've got to add all the restaurant and car service people who have screwed something up, usually with minimal apologies. think and Egg Muffin with no Canadian bacon, Regular oil instead of the requested synthetic, entree items forgotten, salads made incorrectly, no refills...the list goes on and on.

Frankly, I can't remember a recent service situation that was done correctly and on time.

Really pathetic. Makes you really appreciate the good suppliers.

Russ

#454293 - 07/03/18 10:39 AM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, I had a refreshing experience with a bicycle shop where I had taken my boat bike for repairs. It is manned mostly by young men, ranging in age from 20 to 30 and one older guy in his early 50s.

They were prompt, very courteous, polite, did an excellent job of assessing the problems and fixing them, charged me a reasonable price, and even loaded the bicycle into my van for me, shook my hand, and thanked me for my business.

I guess there's hope for the younger generation, yet. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454300 - 07/03/18 01:02 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, those incidents are, indeed, life affirming. I, too had a pleasant experience at a bike repair shop recently. Nice young people. They have a customer...ME!

And that's all it takes. Too bad it's getting harder to find that kind of service.

R.

(P.S.) Lost your number...please call or email.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online