SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454024 - 06/27/18 12:17 PM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Mark79100]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hang in there. When it "clicks", it's a wonderful thing. Of course, you find yourself trying to play every tune Jimmy Smith, Tony Monaco or Joey style.

Walking is easier than playing other bass lines and leads simultaneously.

Joey is my current favorite. Plays just enough, and has his tone down flat.

You'll get there sooner than you think!

Russ "I'm Walkin" Lay

#454030 - 06/27/18 12:50 PM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Wow Chas when I used the word black I never meany to offend anyone. I was just telling the story as I remmember it.

John C.

The word "black" doesn't offend me John, but clearly you missed the point of my post. I'm sure that was a 'cute' story back in 1950, 2018....not so much. But back on topic.

Russ's post triggered a thought. The term 'walking bass' DOES conjure up the image of a jazz organ-type bassline, but clearly this is not suitable for all types of popular music. Plus, this type of bassline doesn't lend itself to piano or piano styles (Boogie woogie, Stride, solo Coctail (lounge) piano, etc.) as well as it does to organ. So perhaps 'left-hand bass' might be a better or more accurate description of what you're looking for. In that sense, learning suitable basslines for piano might be even more challenging than for organ. But....I feel your pain; I too, am usually at a loss as to what to play in the left hand when playing solo piano. If I'm playing atempo, no problem, but if I have to maintain a beat...arrrrggg. I'm guessing Dave (UD) might be the most experienced in this aspect of piano playing. Good topic, though.

chas

Edited by cgiles (06/27/18 01:30 PM)

#454038 - 06/27/18 04:11 PM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Mark79100]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
There is a short article in the latest issue of "Electronic Musician" by Jim Alfredson on starting out learning walking bass. It's pretty basic but it sort of gets you used to left hand/right hand, left foot/right foot independence. I've been doing it for over 50 years now because of playing the B-3 organ. It's my claim to fame but I learned it gradually over the years. I was much younger when I started doing it with no life distractions like having to cook and clean for myself because my Mom did all that for me at that young age. I could stay focused in a sense.
I started out with imitating what the bass guitar was doing and then later on simply started out by outlining the chords of the tunes. I have since learned how to play the bass guitar and that helps learning to play convincing bass lines with my feet or left hand.

#454050 - 06/28/18 01:11 AM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By cgiles

The word "black" doesn't offend me John, but clearly you missed the point of my post. I'm sure that was a 'cute' story back in 1950, 2018....not so much. But back on topic.

Although this is off topic I will not remove it because I think it is dialogue that should remain as it makes people think more. And that will always make the world a better place.

#454051 - 06/28/18 02:07 AM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Mark79100]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Nigel,
I admire highly your great way to administrate and moderate the SZ forum.
bow

------

Regarding myself and left hand bass.
Years ago I played accordeon, and left hand bass was a part of it. But when swap to arranger keyboard, I find it really hard to play bass with left hand.
So I take the easy way out, autobass does the work. During the years the styles getting got more dynamic responding to what chords played.
But, I agree fully, bass and drums played 'correctly' really make the differences. smile
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#454060 - 06/28/18 08:35 AM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark

Go slow and it will start to become second nature. Back when I though Jimmy Smith did all his bass on the pedals I practiced 1 -5 jumps in all keys and then scales. After awhile I really didn't think about my left foot much and can still play a pretty good pedal bass.
For LH bass I would put on a SLOW swing or shuffle rhythm on your drum machine to keep you steady and do ii - V - I's in all keys using scale tones to move smoothly from one chord to the next. Later you can add 1/2 step slides and jumps from 1 - 5 or octaves. With you RH keep it really simple and just do chord stabs wherever you feel like it. Sort of like comping behind an soloist. Soloing over it will come faster than you think. Good luck

#454061 - 06/28/18 09:04 AM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I really, really appreciated the input from everyone here. I thought I was carrying this situation "alone."

So here's the way it went. I never turn away from a challenge once I take it on. But after I first brought up the subject here, I started thinking to myself something like.....why don't you admit you're wearing yourself out and starting to dread your daily practice and maybe it's just one of those things that I'm just not good at.

Well, you guys helped jump-start me again and I appreciate it.

You all wrote such good information I'm going to go over each message closely, one at a time, and "reevaluate" how I'm going about this. I'm probably not seeing the "forest for the trees."

I know my chords, scales, progressions, etc. And I CAN play a lot more songs with walking bass than when I first started. But that's it.....the instant I start to improvise (doing LH bass), I lose it!

Someone said years ago in a discussion about singing. "It's impossible to be a great singer and a great instrumentalist at the same time. That the mind can only focus on one thing at a time" I'm wondering if that's true with "walking bass." The mind can't handle improvising in both hands at the same time?

I have a feeling when I go over each of your posts that the answer will come to me. This has been one great struggle these last six months! My piano sessions are becoming harder than exercise sessions!

I'll keep you posted on what I glean from your posts in the next few days and let you know if I finally "got it" or I need more help.

#454062 - 06/28/18 09:19 AM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: salsaman]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By salsaman
There is a short article in the latest issue of "Electronic Musician" by Jim Alfredson on starting out learning walking bass.

I'll even take "basic." I have the last few issues......can you tell me what month and page #?

Thanks

#454069 - 06/28/18 11:52 AM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Mark79100

Someone said years ago in a discussion about singing. "It's impossible to be a great singer and a great instrumentalist at the same time. That the mind can only focus on one thing at a time"

To quote the very wise Sherman T. Potter .... "Horse Hockey!"

#454072 - 06/28/18 12:15 PM Re: my walking bass progress [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Mark79100

Someone said years ago in a discussion about singing. "It's impossible to be a great singer and a great instrumentalist at the same time. That the mind can only focus on one thing at a time"

To quote the very wise Sherman T. Potter .... "Horse Hockey!"

DITTO!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online