SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#453394 - 06/11/18 09:55 AM O.T. Windows 10 update problems
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I have had several problems with recent Windows 10 updates. On my office machine the computer would not wake up from sleep mode (it woke up but the display was gone). After weeks of trying every suggested fix on the internet, I finally got it to work again but then the face recognition on sign-on stopped working ("can't turn camera on"). Haven't resolved that yet (have to enter PIN from keyboard). On my studio computer, after the latest two updates, the playback audio from the computer started to distort (horribly) after about 10-15 minutes of playing. It wasn't the interface (Alesis I/O 26) as the instruments played fine through, only the playback tracks from the computer were affected. I solved that by uninstalling the last two updates (both Security updates).

Has anyone else had any (recent) problems after major updates?

chas

#453397 - 06/11/18 10:26 AM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Sorry I can't help I only use Win7 pro on all with a solid state HD....no problems

#453399 - 06/11/18 10:46 AM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
HI Chas

With so many different programs out there it is always possible that an update might break them if they have not been designed correctly, (Particularly if they are old) make sure you have all the latest drivers (Don’t rely on Windows choosing the correct one) and program updates (Reinstalling will usually cure the problem) as sometimes earlier versions might not meet the latest security requirements.
The sleep problem could be a Motherboard setting that needs changing, (Although it’s probably just a driver problem) so check the manual. (Also make sure the BIOS is up to date)
A long distance fix is always difficult but a good computer tech should be able to help if you still have problems.

Bill

#453401 - 06/11/18 01:32 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Bill, much appreciated. I will follow your advice. Should I stop the automatic updates?

chas

#453402 - 06/11/18 01:58 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, went through the same thing with my wife's laptop PC. Finally, in desperation, did a restoration to an earlier date, which solved all the problems. My son, the programmer, said the updates are pretty much unnecessary and some have caused lots of problems. He stopped the updates and we have not had a single problem since. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453403 - 06/11/18 02:05 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Gary, you're reading my mind. Both machines were working perfectly before the updates. I think I will selectively install certain updates depending on what they're fixing or adding. I'll test all my driver-dependent stuff and if anything comes up shakey, I'll uninstall the update. Thanks for responding. Glad to know I wasn't alone.

chas

#453412 - 06/11/18 03:01 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chas

A lot of updates are for security purposes so under no circumstances turn these off, feature updates can be delayed to allow time for any problems to be fixed, however you cannot stop the updates in Win 10 without going into the registry, (They will always eventually install to keep things up to date) which I would not recommend unless you know what you are doing.
Uninstalling an update that is causing a problem is fine, as a further update that fixes the problem will come along in a short space of time. (You can also report it to Microsoft)

Bill

#453413 - 06/11/18 03:04 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
I have gotten the best result by having a audio only computer. Once I have a good OS installed, usually Windows 7. I don't do any further Windows updates. I never go on the internet. This has worked great for me.

#453414 - 06/11/18 03:14 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: solomon8]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By solomon8
I have gotten the best result by having a audio only computer. Once I have a good OS installed, usually Windows 7. I don't do any further Windows updates. I never go on the internet. This has worked great for me.

Same SOL here WIN 7 on both my performance laptops which never went on the internet ever,.....running stable and thankfully no problems..

#453417 - 06/11/18 03:47 PM Re: O.T. Windows 10 update problems [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
If you are fed up with being a "hostage" to the tyranny of Windows and all the baggage that comes with it... take a peek at Linux Cinnamon Mint. It has a graphical user interface, costs zero and is bringing more new programs and apps "on-board" (most are free) every day. I've been using it for several months now and really like it... especially for use on the Internet coupled with Firefox. Best of luck, regardless. ----Mayberry Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online