SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#45338 - 03/15/03 07:16 AM Getting The Most From Your KN7000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alec,
Excellent piece of work. Your new book is one of the best written manuals I have read. Beginner or Pro can understand and there is something for both. A must have for all 7000 owners.

Technics...why not have Alec write manuals for your new boards. Sure would help the sales.

cheers,

Fran in Florida

Ps......Thank you Walt Tenay for your speedy delivery.

#45339 - 03/16/03 09:06 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

again, thank you very much, Fran.

I deliberately tried not to repeat the previous book, and make this one as original as possible. If it's helping out, then it's doing its job

#45340 - 03/17/03 04:29 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Yes the book's brilliant Alec and so readable - well done.
It gets me sitting down at the keyboard and trying all the things you write about...
Just one thing - neither I nor my local Dealer can make the CD attached to the book work - mind you I can't make the recently discovered Applications and Drivers CD work either (the borrowed copy that is from the Dealer - there wasn't one in my box!!!).
Could just be my computer/laptop but I don't think so having seen the same problem occur on the Dealer's laptop...
Anyway the words are worth every penny....
Best wishes
Roger M

#45341 - 03/17/03 10:50 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

thank you very much, Roger, really glad you rate it

making the cd work?...

put it in an audio cd player or in a computer with audio cd playback software and the ripping demos and finalised tracks will play just like any audio cd.

open the drive letter in windows explorer and all the demo and pattern data will be seen just like any data cd, ready for Song Manager restore operations, uploading, copying to floppy etc.

If you don't have Jukebox and the Panasonic reader - I have provided instructions how you can approximate the effects of the audio demos without needing to rip the audio. The Technics format demos obviously just need loading.

#45342 - 03/18/03 02:38 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
RMepstead Offline

Hiya Alec
That's just the problem Alec - when you put the CD in an Audio player it doesn't play - my local dealer is getting in touch with Technote currently to try to find out why this is - we tried several disks at the dealers premises.
Equally when you put the CD in your computer to use the other bits and pieces on the Cd it screws up the computer as well...seen it both on my laptop at home and the one at the dealer's premises....
I reckon its the way the CDs were recorded/copied on behalf of Technote presumably by some secondary supplier.
Still I guess we'll hear all about it sooner or later....
Best wishes
Roger M

#45343 - 03/18/03 03:32 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
The CD I recieved with the book was completely bank and Technote sent me a new one. Perhaps a batch were sent out with blank discs. To test insert in CD rom click on my computer and the D drive or whatever is your rom drive if disc is blank it will say not found, if is ok you will see contents

Best Wishes

Tony

#45344 - 03/18/03 05:11 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
RMepstead Offline

Yes thanks Tony - I thought for a while I was going gaga, but I've just popped out to my local dealer and he has confirmed the same thing...
Now should I wait for my dealer to get me a replacement copy or do the sensible thing like you and go direct....ah patience, and I have so little with commercial concerns these days...
Yes I've made my mind up I'll phone...!!!
Thanks again for putting my mind at rest - you know when you say something doesn't work nobody believes you and gives you that odd look like maybe you're not doing it properly - well I was travelling through that experience a bit...
Roger M

#45345 - 03/18/03 06:51 AM Re: Getting The Most From Your KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

you must have had a faulty duplication then.

My master was obviously fine, and I was sent samples from the first batch of duplication which I signed off as fine.

Also was asked to demo some random ones from the racks at a couple of dealers and those worked ok, and a few others have discussed the contents here so theirs worked too, so maybe there is a batch problem.

Undoubtedly Technote will sort you out.

Incidentally I mastered the cd as cd-extra, the latest format, which has advantages over the older mixed-mode format in that audio cd players cannot see the data at all.

Otherwise if I made a mixed-mode cd very old cd players can try to play the data with unfortunate results if you have the loudspeakers turned up high!

There are other advantages of cd-extra in the organisation of the tutorials and making those step by step instructions using the cd easy to follow in the book.
A by-product of this newer format is that it is more difficult for auto-duplicators than standard audio or data cds.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online