SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#452957 - 06/01/18 02:49 PM Re: Grilling OT [Re: zuki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fact is you an allergist can run these tests, virtually risk-free, and then you will know for sure. Mine said only an extremely small percentage of people they test are allergic to it. He said even if you once had a reaction, the body tends to change after a few years and there is a good chance the allergy is no longer present.
They inject a tiny bit, barely under the skin, then wait 20 minutes to see if there is any reaction, such as reddening or inflammation of the site. They also do a control that is SUPPOSED to cause a slight irritation. If the first test is negative, they do a second one with a slightly higher dose. As long as the results are negative, they increase the doses every 20 to 30 minutes for a total of five (I think).
That took from 8 a.m. till nearly noon. Back at 1 p.m. to take the first oral dose, half a pill, which is 1/4 of a normal dose. There is a one hour wait and then a 2nd dose of 1/2 strength, one pill. After one more hour and no negative reaction you get a full dose, two pills. You have to wait one for hour before leaving.
If you take a Beta Blocker, as I do, you must skip it for a day preceding the procedure, because if you have strong reaction, they use Epinephrine injection to counteract it if needed. The Beta Blocker would also block the Epinephrine.
I listened to nearly an entire recorded book on my phone while waiting! But it was well worth it.

#452993 - 06/02/18 08:58 AM Re: Grilling OT [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

That said,.......I find instead of all the work that has to go into "REAL" Grilling & BBQ outdoors I am using my T-Fal Optic grill much more for quick dinners & grilling etc,....really works wonderful for many dishes,....anyone else have one too.?

#452995 - 06/02/18 09:32 AM Re: Grilling OT [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, I have a (overpriced) George Foreman 'tabletop' grill but don't use it anymore as I don't think it does a good job of grilling. Plus, it's a PIA to clean. I also have a nice SS portable gas grill which I keep set up in the screened room in case it rains when I want to use the big grill. The big grill is hooked into my gas line, so at least no portable gas tanks to contend with. I also have an infraRed wave cooker that is really great for steaks and the like and practically smokeless and odorless. It's 'tabletop' but big and somewhat of a PIA to clean. My latest 'acquisition' is the AIR Fryer, which is great for a lot of things that you might ordinarily prepare in a Deep fryer or an oven. Very easy to clean, smaller than the Wave oven, and nearly as fast as a microwave. Ahhh, so many choices these days. Happy grillin' (or BarBQ'ing). BTW, the worst for you healthwise, charcoal grilling....naturally, it's also the best tasting smile smile.

chas

#452997 - 06/02/18 09:43 AM Re: Grilling OT [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Chas I have tried over the years many different grilling & BBq devices which are all a PIA for whatever reason...the T-Fal grills just pop off and clean easier then most for those quick grilling meals etc,...
or the heck with it I'm out the door to my favorite BBq restaurant for a Margarita and a big
Porterhouse steak with all the sides....enjoy the summer.

#452999 - 06/02/18 09:54 AM Re: Grilling OT [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
We too tried the George Foreman grill, used it a few times and gave it to our son, who later gave it to a friend. Nothing beats the added flavor of real flame and real smoke on meats and vegetables, IMO. Donny, the Optigrill resembles the Foreman grill in many ways, and Chas is right, it was a PITA to clean.

Chas, at our age, we really don't have to worry about the adverse health risk of charcoal grilling, though in my case I got lazy and went to a propane gas grill many years ago. I visited the cardiologist last week and he told me that my heart health was excellent and for some strange reason, my cholesterol has come down to under 200 for the first time in the past three decades. Damned, there goes my shot for a massive heart attack and instant death. wink He said not to come back until this time next year. I told him that I'm not coming back at all.

Last night, I grilled some Old Bay Seafood seasoned sausages on the grill and enjoyed a side of garlic smashed potatoes with, margarine, sour cream, bacon bits and chives on top. I'm not gonna linger in a nursing home, and for me, this IS a heart healthy diet. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453002 - 06/02/18 10:11 AM Re: Grilling OT [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I'd much rather hear those famous words "COME & GET IT"

pick up my Ice Cold Blue Moon and head for the dinner table!

Edited by Dnj (06/02/18 10:11 AM)

#453006 - 06/02/18 12:29 PM Re: Grilling OT [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I'd much rather hear those famous words "COME & GET IT"

You're a disgrace to every Bar-BQ'n, Grillin', Manly man out there smile smile (but secretly, I agree with you smile ).

Your lazy buddy,

chas

#453009 - 06/02/18 01:22 PM Re: Grilling OT [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I went to a gas grill for 'quick and easy' cooking many years ago, and I've always had it hooked up to the main gas line ...
Steaks are always cooked on a grill ... From now until October every meal but Sunday pasta will be cooked on the grill or in the smoker ... Gives me more time to have an extra cocktail or beer while cooking ...

#453014 - 06/02/18 04:13 PM Re: Grilling OT [Re: tony mads usa]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I went to a gas grill for 'quick and easy' cooking many years ago, and I've always had it hooked up to the main gas line ...
Steaks are always cooked on a grill ... From now until October every meal but Sunday pasta will be cooked on the grill or in the smoker ... Gives me more time to have an extra cocktail or beer while cooking ...

Now t, you have to cut down on that stuff??? smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#453018 - 06/02/18 07:51 PM Re: Grilling OT [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, there is absolutely no reason on Earth to cut down on grilled foods, especially at Tony's age.

First and foremost, numerous studies clearly show that people on the planet that have the highest cholesterol live the longest. Same holds true for fat intake. There are only a few places on earth where folks consume more fat than in France - yet they have a far lower incidence of cardio-vascular disease than the US, which emphasizes low fat low cholesterol diets.

Ironically, the race that has the lowest cholesterol and fat intake is the Australian Aborigines, and they have the highest incidence of cardio vascular disease. Go figure.

Jim, I spent 15 years of my life working in Cardio-Pulmonary Medicine. I did the workups on thousands of patients that had to undergo bypass surgery. More than 70 percent had low or normal fat intakes and cholesterol levels. Additionally, there are hundreds of studies that clearly show that taking cholesterol reducing drugs will not extend your life a single day, but the side effects can be fatal. Duh! What's wrong with this picture?

Tony, enjoy those steaks, chops, burgers and anything else you cook on the grill - you will likely outlive most of us. smile

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/02/18 07:51 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online