Grilling OT

Posted by: zuki

Grilling OT - 05/30/18 07:24 AM

Bought a sealed box, new Weber grill on eBay and picked it up locally. Of course, I broke the ring when putting together.

Called Weber, they registered me as the owner, without a receipt and sent out the part and other things for FREE.

Nice to know there are good companies out there who care smile

OK, now off to mail Gentleman Don's new keyboard smile smile smile
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 07:29 AM

Been using Weber forever ... Great product, and apparently a great company ...
Happy grilling ... grin
Posted by: Harold123

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 08:31 AM

Happy for You Zuk..............Harold

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 08:34 AM

New grill ... New keyboard ... zuki's living LARGE !!!
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 09:06 AM

Cool. Love my grill and grilling, although probably not the healthiest form of food prep smile. Along those lines, I recently delved into the world of Air Fryers and I am ecstatic....mainly because of the easy prep and easy cleanup. The air-fried food is pretty good also. Haven't touched a deep fryer since I got it and probably won't ever again. Lives up to the hype (for most things). It's basically a super-duper convection oven, but with a tblspn of oil can do a good job of emulating a deep fryer. Anyhoo, happy grillin'.

chas (trying to eat healthier but probably too late smile )
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 10:02 AM

Grilling is Not BBQ... Just saying.... Anyway enjoy grilling it's certainly a laborious enjoyment & usually delicious if done right...
Do you prefer Gas, Wood or Charcoal?

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 11:05 AM

I don't see that anyone said it was, but that's why I have a grill AND a hardwood smoker ... wink

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 11:37 AM

Coals all the way and agree with Chas, not the healthiest thing for my lungs.

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 11:46 AM

For a fast and easy meal it's the gas grill on the deck right outside the kitchen ... otherwise, it's hardwood charcoal in the smoker that also serves as a grill ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 12:00 PM

Those that attended the Synthzone Jam at the Diamond Ranch got to see my monster gas grill in person. I also have an electric smoker that I use to smoke fish and turkey in once in a while. While you can use a grill for smoking meats, they tend to get much too warm, which is why I use an electric smoker where I can readily control the temperature. The secret, however, to high quality and great tasting smoked fish and meats lies in the brine solution and the length of time those meats and fillets soak in the brine. I will try to post my brine recipe and smoking technique later today when I get in the office.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By zuki
Bought a sealed box, new Weber grill on eBay and picked it up locally. Of course, I broke the ring when putting together.

Called Weber, they registered me as the owner, without a receipt and sent out the part and other things for FREE.

I have been in the hospital all day. I was told that I am allergic to penicillin MANY years ago. Doing an all day test to see if I still am. The skin tests took 4 hours and were all negative. Oral tests will take 4 more hours. First one was negative. So far so good.
Can't ship kb until tomorrow. frown
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 12:14 PM

I have my “Black Bastard” kamado
I am using high quallity charcoal..
It turns barbequeing into an art..

Inalso have a webber bbq and a webber gas grill..
But by far prefer the kamado

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
Originally Posted By zuki

I have been in the hospital all day. I was told that I am allergic to penicillin MANY years ago. Doing an all day test to see if I still am. The skin tests took 4 hours and were all negative. Oral tests will take 4 more hours. First one was negative. So far so good.
Can't ship kb until tomorrow. frown

Don....I hope all turns out fine with the tests & you can go home asap..GET WELL

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 01:41 PM

Thanks. I just took the last pills a full dose of penicillin. 30 more minutes to go to see if there is a reaction. Looks like I am not allergic!

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
I just took the last pills a full dose of penicillin.

Well, as long as it's already in your system, if there happens to be any cuties in the audience tonight.....nah, just reminiscing about the good ol' days smile smile .

chas

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 02:09 PM

Chas, do you remember the Pro Kits that were handed to the crews as the left the ship for liberty? Those were the first days of preventive medicine. smile

Gary cool

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 02:11 PM

Ok so whats your favorite steak and why?

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 02:14 PM

Here's my Smoked Salmon Recipe that I promised to post earlier. It requires a lot of work and ingredients, but those that have tasted my smoked salmon, including some restaurateurs, claim it is the best they have ever tasted.

SMOKED SALMON

There are lots of good recipes for smoked salmon. Unfortunately, there are not many great recipes for smoked fish, but this particular one seems to be the best of all. After more than five years of experimentation, using every species of fish available in the mid-Atlantic region, the recipe has been modified until it has finally reached the pinnacle of perfection. If you enjoy the flavor of smoked fish, especially oily species such as salmon, bluefish, Atlantic mackerel, king mackerel and cobia, you'll love this.

BRINE SOLUTION
2 qts. Water
1 cup dark brown sugar
4 tblsp. Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
4 tblsp. chopped, fresh Vidalia onions
½ cup kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tblsp. Montreal steak seasoning
6 drops Worcestershire sauce
1 tblsp. lemon juice

DIRECTIONS:
Thoroughly mix all ingredients of brine solution in a plastic container until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Using a flat, Tupperware container pour in a small amount of bring solution (about one-inch deep). Cut fish fillets into inch-thick, four-inch squares and place them in the container in layers. After the first layer is in place, pour in enough brine solution to cover them, then add the second layer and continue until all the fillets are covered with brine. Cover the container using a sealable lid or Saran Wrap and refrigerate for five days. Be sure to agitate the container at least once daily to prevent the brine ingredients from settling–this is important. If there are several layers of fillets, it's also a good idea to occasionally separate them at least once daily to ensure all surfaces are exposed to the brine.

At the end of the brining period, remove the fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Place them on a broiler pan sprayed with Pam non-stick vegetable oil and bake in a 350-degree, preheated oven for 25 minutes, then place the fillets in the smoker. Using an electric smoker, smoke for approximately two hours using hickory chips. When the fillets are golden brown in color, remove them from the smoker, allow a few minutes for them to cool, then place them in Zip-Loc bags and refrigerate overnight before serving. While they taste good fresh from the smoker, the hickory flavor penetrates the meat completely when refrigerated in air-tight bags. The smoked fillets will last up to six weeks in the refrigerator and may be frozen for up to three months. Smoked fillets can be shredded and used with your favorite dip, or you can make a fantastic smoked salmon salad to be used as a substitute for tuna-salad. Enjoy!

Gary cool

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 02:20 PM

I have been to Gary's mansion on may occasions and can attest to the great BBQ...Good Times always top notch!!

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Chas, do you remember the Pro Kits that were handed to the crews as the left the ship for liberty? Those were the first days of preventive medicine. smile

Gary cool

Yes, but being a person of high moral character, I didn't need one....I just carried them around in case a friend needed one smile.

chas

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles

Gary cool

Yes, but being a person of high moral character, I didn't need one....I just carried them around in case a friend needed one smile.

chas

laugh2 rotf2

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 06:12 PM

Wow Don, hope you are doing OK. Take all the time in the world for YOUR HEALTH, as nothing else matters.....

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 06:20 PM

Everything great! It's really great to know I'm not allergic to penicillin because I thought I was for the past 60 years.

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 06:57 PM

NOW you find out! Hope you are doing better. Stay well.....

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By Harold123
Happy for You Zuk..............Harold

Thank you Harold!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 07:17 PM

Don, I seriously doubt that you were ever allergic to Penicillin. Most folks that are allergic to Penicillin are also high allergic to eggs in any form. Last time I saw you, I was pretty sure you were eating eggs for breakfast.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Re: Grilling OT - 05/30/18 07:58 PM

I had a pretty bad reaction to it when I was about 10 years old. The doctor who did the test said the same thing happened to him, but after a period of time, maybe 10 years, your body will often "forget" the allergy.
He says that almost every older person they test proves to be non longer allergic to it.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Grilling OT - 06/01/18 01:35 PM

Don, I seriously doubt that you were ever allergic to Penicillin. Most folks that are allergic to Penicillin are also high allergic to eggs

My Dad, and daughter are both allergic to all "cillin's" and they both eat eggs.

Re: Grilling OT - 06/01/18 02:04 PM

That all said I just threw out my Big gas BBQ...first off I hardly use it, it takes up too much room on the patio, and it's just a pain in the butt to setup, cook, clean etc,etc,...yuk....I'm gonna look into getting an indoor Blaze grill instead or something like that...
I'm done with BBQ outside..

Re: Grilling OT - 06/01/18 02:31 PM

Dave, note that I said MOST - Not ALL! There are exceptions to every rule. Having spent 15 years working in the field of medicine, I saw lots of things the average person never, or rarely sees. And, despite many of the more important cells in my aging brain being a bit frazzled, I still can remember most of the pharmacology information I learned way back then. Not much has really changed when it comes to allergic reactions to certain medications.

Gary cool

Re: Grilling OT - 06/01/18 02:49 PM

Fact is you an allergist can run these tests, virtually risk-free, and then you will know for sure. Mine said only an extremely small percentage of people they test are allergic to it. He said even if you once had a reaction, the body tends to change after a few years and there is a good chance the allergy is no longer present.
They inject a tiny bit, barely under the skin, then wait 20 minutes to see if there is any reaction, such as reddening or inflammation of the site. They also do a control that is SUPPOSED to cause a slight irritation. If the first test is negative, they do a second one with a slightly higher dose. As long as the results are negative, they increase the doses every 20 to 30 minutes for a total of five (I think).
That took from 8 a.m. till nearly noon. Back at 1 p.m. to take the first oral dose, half a pill, which is 1/4 of a normal dose. There is a one hour wait and then a 2nd dose of 1/2 strength, one pill. After one more hour and no negative reaction you get a full dose, two pills. You have to wait one for hour before leaving.
If you take a Beta Blocker, as I do, you must skip it for a day preceding the procedure, because if you have strong reaction, they use Epinephrine injection to counteract it if needed. The Beta Blocker would also block the Epinephrine.
I listened to nearly an entire recorded book on my phone while waiting! But it was well worth it.

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 08:58 AM

That said,.......I find instead of all the work that has to go into "REAL" Grilling & BBQ outdoors I am using my T-Fal Optic grill much more for quick dinners & grilling etc,....really works wonderful for many dishes,....anyone else have one too.?

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 09:32 AM

Donny, I have a (overpriced) George Foreman 'tabletop' grill but don't use it anymore as I don't think it does a good job of grilling. Plus, it's a PIA to clean. I also have a nice SS portable gas grill which I keep set up in the screened room in case it rains when I want to use the big grill. The big grill is hooked into my gas line, so at least no portable gas tanks to contend with. I also have an infraRed wave cooker that is really great for steaks and the like and practically smokeless and odorless. It's 'tabletop' but big and somewhat of a PIA to clean. My latest 'acquisition' is the AIR Fryer, which is great for a lot of things that you might ordinarily prepare in a Deep fryer or an oven. Very easy to clean, smaller than the Wave oven, and nearly as fast as a microwave. Ahhh, so many choices these days. Happy grillin' (or BarBQ'ing). BTW, the worst for you healthwise, charcoal grilling....naturally, it's also the best tasting smile smile.

chas

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 09:43 AM

Chas I have tried over the years many different grilling & BBq devices which are all a PIA for whatever reason...the T-Fal grills just pop off and clean easier then most for those quick grilling meals etc,...
or the heck with it I'm out the door to my favorite BBq restaurant for a Margarita and a big
Porterhouse steak with all the sides....enjoy the summer.

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 09:54 AM

We too tried the George Foreman grill, used it a few times and gave it to our son, who later gave it to a friend. Nothing beats the added flavor of real flame and real smoke on meats and vegetables, IMO. Donny, the Optigrill resembles the Foreman grill in many ways, and Chas is right, it was a PITA to clean.

Chas, at our age, we really don't have to worry about the adverse health risk of charcoal grilling, though in my case I got lazy and went to a propane gas grill many years ago. I visited the cardiologist last week and he told me that my heart health was excellent and for some strange reason, my cholesterol has come down to under 200 for the first time in the past three decades. Damned, there goes my shot for a massive heart attack and instant death. wink He said not to come back until this time next year. I told him that I'm not coming back at all.

Last night, I grilled some Old Bay Seafood seasoned sausages on the grill and enjoyed a side of garlic smashed potatoes with, margarine, sour cream, bacon bits and chives on top. I'm not gonna linger in a nursing home, and for me, this IS a heart healthy diet. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 10:11 AM

I'd much rather hear those famous words "COME & GET IT"

pick up my Ice Cold Blue Moon and head for the dinner table!

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
I'd much rather hear those famous words "COME & GET IT"

You're a disgrace to every Bar-BQ'n, Grillin', Manly man out there smile smile (but secretly, I agree with you smile ).

Your lazy buddy,

chas

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 01:22 PM

I went to a gas grill for 'quick and easy' cooking many years ago, and I've always had it hooked up to the main gas line ...
Steaks are always cooked on a grill ... From now until October every meal but Sunday pasta will be cooked on the grill or in the smoker ... Gives me more time to have an extra cocktail or beer while cooking ...

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I went to a gas grill for 'quick and easy' cooking many years ago, and I've always had it hooked up to the main gas line ...
Steaks are always cooked on a grill ... From now until October every meal but Sunday pasta will be cooked on the grill or in the smoker ... Gives me more time to have an extra cocktail or beer while cooking ...

Now t, you have to cut down on that stuff??? smile

Re: Grilling OT - 06/02/18 07:51 PM

Jim, there is absolutely no reason on Earth to cut down on grilled foods, especially at Tony's age.

First and foremost, numerous studies clearly show that people on the planet that have the highest cholesterol live the longest. Same holds true for fat intake. There are only a few places on earth where folks consume more fat than in France - yet they have a far lower incidence of cardio-vascular disease than the US, which emphasizes low fat low cholesterol diets.

Ironically, the race that has the lowest cholesterol and fat intake is the Australian Aborigines, and they have the highest incidence of cardio vascular disease. Go figure.

Jim, I spent 15 years of my life working in Cardio-Pulmonary Medicine. I did the workups on thousands of patients that had to undergo bypass surgery. More than 70 percent had low or normal fat intakes and cholesterol levels. Additionally, there are hundreds of studies that clearly show that taking cholesterol reducing drugs will not extend your life a single day, but the side effects can be fatal. Duh! What's wrong with this picture?

Tony, enjoy those steaks, chops, burgers and anything else you cook on the grill - you will likely outlive most of us. smile

Gary cool

Re: Grilling OT - 06/03/18 02:12 AM

Uh Tony, did you leave Gary a Genos in your will or something? Also remember, you ain't French.

smile

chas

Re: Grilling OT - 06/03/18 06:41 AM

Jim, there is absolutely no reason on Earth to cut down on grilled foods, especially at Tony's age.

First and foremost, numerous studies clearly show that people on the planet that have the highest cholesterol live the longest. Same holds true for fat intake. There are only a few places on earth where folks consume more fat than in France - yet they have a far lower incidence of cardio-vascular disease than the US, which emphasizes low fat low cholesterol diets.

Ironically, the race that has the lowest cholesterol and fat intake is the Australian Aborigines, and they have the highest incidence of cardio vascular disease. Go figure.

Jim, I spent 15 years of my life working in Cardio-Pulmonary Medicine. I did the workups on thousands of patients that had to undergo bypass surgery. More than 70 percent had low or normal fat intakes and cholesterol levels. Additionally, there are hundreds of studies that clearly show that taking cholesterol reducing drugs will not extend your life a single day, but the side effects can be fatal. Duh! What's wrong with this picture?

Tony, enjoy those steaks, chops, burgers and anything else you cook on the grill - you will likely outlive most of us. smile

Gary cool

I was talking about the EXTRA cocktail and beer smile

Re: Grilling OT - 06/03/18 07:22 AM

Re: Grilling OT - 06/03/18 08:07 AM

Today I'm making a Puerto Rican Pernil Pork Roast....
oh man it smells so good in here!!

Re: Grilling OT - 06/03/18 09:30 AM

Uh, ... I think that's PeRnil pork roast ... wink