SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#452998 - 06/02/18 09:51 AM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Great topic!

Bernie lots of great suggestions so far. Let me just describe one approach: It's called "filling in the holes" . This concept was first brought to my attention by a drum teacher actually. His name is Steve Houghton and he was playing in Woody Herman's big when he was still in high school. The guy can play!

Anyways, maybe start with a blues tune like "Kansas City"

Sing the opening line "I'm going to Kansas City-Kansas Here I come"

After you sing that, you then have two bars in which you can fill in that space. Try all sorts of approaches: busy blue scale runs, simple blue scale runs, rhythmic chords stabs, combination of chords and runs.....

You can do this with any tune.... just fill in the "holes"

So in other words, when there is a space in the melody line, you’re going to "fill in the holes"

Hope this makes sense- have fun!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#453000 - 06/02/18 09:58 AM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Kansas City is a great tune to use for this technique.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453004 - 06/02/18 11:57 AM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you all for your help. "Filling in the holes" cuts right to the heart of it. Thanks, Don, for the specifics, and I notice you always fill yours real good. One question is: To what extent is it permissible to duplicate the melody line? The easiest thing for me to do is sing in the same time as I would play, jumping the beat or lagging like Sinatra, to give it a live feel. I most always use full left hand sound for movement to fill in with like a ninth/-9/major. I just don't want to do it if it is going to sound amateurish.

#453005 - 06/02/18 12:24 PM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bernie, one last thing. Comping to an arranger is a little different than say, comping in a piano trio (bass and drums). With the arranger, there will be less 'holes to fill' and it's important that you not COMPETE with the arranger (IOW, don't fill holes that aren't there smile ). That's why, in most instances, Don's approach of SUPPLEMENTING the arrangement is usually the best approach. Also, EVERY hole doesn't need to be filled. Miles Davis said it best, "sometimes what you DON'T play is as important as what you play" or words to that effect.

Interesting side note: BB King said (in an interview) that he just can't play and sing at the same time....didn't stop him from becoming a legend.

chas

#453007 - 06/02/18 12:32 PM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Duly noted sir, and thank you

#453008 - 06/02/18 01:11 PM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bernie ... Playing a melody line after singing it is ok if it is a 'call and answer' type of song ... Personally, I do not like it when someone is singing and playing the same melody line at the same time ...

#453010 - 06/02/18 01:24 PM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Tony. That was my question and now my answer.

#453011 - 06/02/18 01:31 PM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Happy to help ...
Good luck ...

#453012 - 06/02/18 03:03 PM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Let me tell you about Bernie’s best two parts.
1-He is humble, and he is not timid about asking for help. .
2-He really loves music.

“Filling in the holes” Yes and a bit more. In Latin music they are very careful to fill in the holes with rhythmic vocals. In fact, I would have to say their rhythm is the most important. It is difficult to sit till when it is played.

Comping is not normally taught because it’s a come naturally, most feel it, they do not think about.
1-Kansas City here I come -------------- Here is where the singer needs help. You come in lightly, then grow, and then play your comping with a flavor that helps them get into their next part. Singers favor compers who help lead them to the next part AND, do not comp while they are singing; it can interfere with their phrasing. Some musicians voice their chords with the melody on top. Singers hate that, they know which note THEY WANT to sing, and when they want to sing it. No leading lines or comping while someone is singing unless it is part of what made the song popular. t

Bernie, when asked what to use to comp I was told, “What would like to hear”. It is all about listening; not copying but listening and trying.
All fill ins and comping are different for each style of music.

John C.

#453026 - 06/03/18 01:52 AM Re: Comping My Own Vocals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Very good, John, thanks for the advice.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online