SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#45297 - 07/27/07 08:05 AM Converting Technics File to Midi Format
Triple T Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 08/18/06
Posts: 20
Loc: Mesa, AZ
Is it possible to convert song files, as are available for download at Bill Norrie's site, into midi format .... simply?

As an aside and FYI for all, 95% of the songs Bill has produced for the KN6000 & KN7000 loaded (and played) without problem on my PR604

Tim

Top
#45298 - 07/27/07 09:05 AM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
RMepstead Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 06/15/02
Posts: 1478
Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Tim
I take it you are talking about Bill's WMA file downloads, not his Technics sequenced song files?
Rog
_________________________
Roger M

Top
#45299 - 07/27/07 09:53 AM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
Triple T Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 08/18/06
Posts: 20
Loc: Mesa, AZ
Roger:
Beats me! Not sure without going back to his web site which I can easily do if need be. A quick look at my saved files floppy shows each song I downloaded generally has five individual song related files with extensions of ACT/CMP/EFC/PMT/SQT and a windows installer patch.
Tim

Top
#45300 - 07/27/07 12:49 PM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
bruno123 Online   content
Senior Member

Registered: 06/04/02
Posts: 3272
Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tim, Is it time we got together?

John C.
561 616-5858
Boynton Beach

Top
#45301 - 07/27/07 03:30 PM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
Bill Norrie Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/16/02
Posts: 2275
Loc: Richmond,North Yorkshire, UK
The basic answer to your question is Yes, they can be converted, however, it's quite a lengthy process and not always very successful, since the Technics sounds will be replaced by standard MIDI sounds. I often use edited sounds in my sequences and these sounds cannot be converted to Midi format.

The WMA files cannot be converted to MIDI, since they are purely Digital Audio Files.

Incidentally, the file component (.MSP) which Windows wrongly shows as a 'Windows Installer Patch' is the file component for the Performance Pads - nothing to do with Windows Installer !
Tech Tip number 12 explains the functions of all the file components.

You say that 95% of the songs play OK - I would be interested to know what problems you had with the other 5%

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
_________________________
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

Top
#45302 - 07/28/07 03:32 AM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
RMepstead Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 06/15/02
Posts: 1478
Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I guess the next question Tim is why do you want to do that?
Rog



[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 07-28-2007).]
_________________________
Roger M

Top
#45303 - 07/30/07 03:32 PM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
Triple T Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 08/18/06
Posts: 20
Loc: Mesa, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
I guess the next question Tim is why do you want to do that?
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 07-28-2007).]


I have recently installed Propellerhead's Reason software - virtual sound studio - and wanted some input of substance to begin learning the "how to's" of a rather complicated piece of software.

[This message has been edited by Triple T (edited 07-30-2007).]

Top
#45304 - 08/01/07 02:57 PM Re: Converting Technics File to Midi Format
lahawk Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 06/28/01
Posts: 2198
Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
Originally posted by Triple T:
Is it possible to convert song files, as are available for download at Bill Norrie's site, into midi format .... simply? Tim


Simply?

NO


You'll find the hard way at Cee's Site: http://www.keso.nl/

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper



[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 08-01-2007).]
_________________________
Larry

" Always Do Whatever's Next "

Top

Moderator:  Admin 



Help keep Synth Zone Online