SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#452824 - 05/30/18 03:52 PM Genos AI Fingering Mode Explained
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I got this email from Yamaha today.

"It is the first of a series of blog postings dedicated to the understanding of Genos."

I currently use full fingered mode. I remember trying AI mode but didn't spend that much time with it to see if it might be better.

Looking forward to seeing some more. -charley

https://hub.yamaha.com/genos-power-playi...ent=text_module

#452826 - 05/30/18 04:15 PM Re: Genos AI Fingering Mode Explained [Re: rattley]
tyroschuck Offline

Loc: Downey, CA, US
Thank you.
regards, charles

#452845 - 05/30/18 07:24 PM Re: Genos AI Fingering Mode Explained [Re: rattley]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great post, Charlie,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#452854 - 05/30/18 10:50 PM Re: Genos AI Fingering Mode Explained [Re: rattley]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I own a Tyros 5 and I'm pretty sure this AI Fingered mode is unchanged from when it was introduced years ago on the original Tyros. Major chords have to be triggered by playing a full triad, or at least the root and a major third above.

Unfortunately, that's just not as ergonomic or convenient as Roland's "Chord Intelligence," which allows you to trigger a major chord by pressing only the root note. Now before you jump all over me, be advised that both of these systems recognize a full range of the most complex chords you can imagine; if you have the skill to play all the constituent notes you can still do so and get the expected result.

On the Yamaha, playing a single note gets you a unison [1+8], a thin-sounding accompaniment based only on the root. For how often that's needed, I wouldn't mind playing it manually (i.e., just fingering the octave [1+8]). The newer Casios do it this way, and it's a worthwhile trade-off. Being able to play majors with just one key permits some rapid combinations with less hand and finger movement--and for me, fewer errors!!

Bottom line, with each new model I've been hoping Yamaha would add an OPTIONAL setting to their AI Fingered mode, such that a single note in the chord area triggers the major chord instead of a unison. Making it optional wouldn't alienate folks who like it the way it is now. But it would make it easier for players transitioning from Roland, Korg, Lowrey organs, etc., and might entice those folks to switch brands.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to try a Yamaha YPG-535. This particular model, an inexpensive mid-range digital piano with arranger styles, has what seems to be a unique implementation of Yamaha's "Multifinger" mode. IMO it's actually more "intelligent" than the AI Fingered mode in the Genos video. I'm pretty sure it can recognize all of the same chord types, including "slash" chords, open fifths, etc., AND play major chords with a single note! Unfortunately, although the chord recognition is brilliant, the form factor is bulky, and the feature set is really basic. Not even DIN connectors for MIDI :-(
My $.02, now let the beatings begin!

Edited by TedS (05/30/18 11:14 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online