SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#452638 - 05/27/18 08:46 AM How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG...
Dnj Offline

At 7:03 Jürgen Sartorius demonstrates..This is where the Magic lies to "fine tune your Drum Kits" on your KORG Arrangers to get your styles to sound even better using TRACK CONTROL...if you haven't been doing this you should look into it for sure.. cool2

#452639 - 05/27/18 09:31 AM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, sharing your excitement with Roland, Korg or whatever is one of the joys on SynthZone, thank you.

When I had a Technics I was forced to look for ways to make better and stronger drums. (Editing Drums) I also used a Boss DR 670 drum machine, connected it with midi and audio. Changing drum sets was easy, one button. You could also add an extended drum brake. When you spend time digging in its amazing what can be done.

KN 7000 --- Use an ordinary midi file (GM)
1-Replace all GM instrument sounds with Technic sounds.
2-Edit the drums.
3-The style structure was now Technics.
He results were fantastic – for those days. Because all the Technics midi files were style based you could change the style while playing the midi files.

Fun days, John C.

#452646 - 05/27/18 11:18 AM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Just midi it to a Ketron or Roland sound source smile

#452648 - 05/27/18 11:42 AM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Fran Carango]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Have been fine-tuning drums as well as other acc tracks for ages on my Korgs. The PA4X has been around for three years now, you even had one yourself!!!Fail to see what is so spectacular about it,other than the fact that most musicians are not too fond of intensive in-depth tweaking.......

Regards,
John

#452649 - 05/27/18 12:54 PM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By john smies

Have been fine-tuning drums as well as other acc tracks for ages on my Korgs. The PA4X has been around for three years now, you even had one yourself!!!Fail to see what is so spectacular about it,other than the fact that most musicians are not too fond of intensive in-depth tweaking.......

Regards,
John

John & others here, first off I never said it was something NEW.. .....yes I have been tweaking drum kits & my overall sound for years on all my KORGS and every other other arranger since the arranger KB inception and beyond. If you really care about all aspects of your music it's never a bother to do so but pure pleasure knowing you created the sound you want vs just a factory sound that they give you..but that's just me. Let's all remember that many NEW Korg owners might not be aware or have never indulged deeper then turning on the Kb and playing styles as is without digging deeper into the OS tools etc,....my intention was to make the process more aware to those just learning or would like to try improving their styles they way they want to have them sound beyond the factory I know I certainly do.
By sharing info like this here helps us all.

Edited by Dnj (05/27/18 02:24 PM)

#452652 - 05/27/18 01:55 PM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I tend to pay way more attention to a person's playing (technique, tastefulness, rhythmic feel, chord choices, improvisation, arrangement, voice choices, creativity, etc.) than how well they micro-tweaked their drums. If your playing sucks, tweaking the drums ain't gonna help. That's not to say that getting the best quality sound you can out of the drums does not matter; it does....but getting the right pattern, the right 'groove' is, in my opinion, much more important. If you find a dog that can talk, you don't criticize it's grammar. BUT....this is coming from someone who never tweaks ANY of my source tones; I just look for something that sounds good to me out of the box (and usually I can). I just want people to hear the message I'm trying to convey, not how well I tweaked the drums. But hey, that's just me. Different strokes for different folks, just depends on where you want to spend your energy.

chas

#452654 - 05/27/18 02:25 PM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually I will watch it later today. I have changed a drum kit or two but never tried fine-tuning them. I've been pretty happy with the drum sounds in the Korgs I've had, but I'm always open to making things better.
Thanks for sharing!

#452656 - 05/27/18 02:29 PM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Actually I will watch it later today. I have changed a drum kit or two but never tried fine-tuning them. I've been pretty happy with the drum sounds in the Korgs I've had, but I'm always open to making things better.
Thanks for sharing!

Sometimes Don it's just a matter of fine tuning a snare drum timber, or resonance, etc, or any other part of the drum kit the tools are all there to use. I'm never happy with just the factory styles it's just a starting point so you can then create and make them so much better. If not they wouldn't be in the keyboard to use you'd be stuck & just play what they give you ..NOT!
It would be a shame not to dig in....take care..

Edited by Dnj (05/27/18 03:45 PM)

#452657 - 05/27/18 03:38 PM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying to get a better sound out of their units; it's just that, as John points out, " most musicians are not too fond of intensive in-depth tweaking......." and that's because the drums in most current arrangers are already pretty darn good....and unless you're a seasoned drummer or musicologist, it's questionable whether you have the 'ear' to improve on the factory kits. BUT, if you've got the time and inclination to experiment, why not....you can always go back to the 'factory' kit if it doesn't work out.

chas

#452658 - 05/27/18 03:45 PM Re: How To Get a Great Drum-kit sound on your KORG... [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

I've fine tuned drums many times. I feel the bass drum is always too boomy in the mix, so it comes down from 127 to - 90 or so, most of the time.

I find it necessary to tame down the snare or sticks or other things too at times. Doesn't really take much and nice to get it done right.

Going through kits is easy and productive..........

Edited by zuki (05/27/18 03:46 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online