SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4526 - 09/28/03 02:36 AM Any Given SunDAW
theledzepp Offline

Loc: Oregon
Help, please!

Alrighty, I need a DAW for recording, midi music (via keyboard controller), editing/mixing, sampling and looping. I'm mostly interested in the recording and midi stuff--but I'd like to build and use a sample library. I don't over-looped stuff b/c it tends to stifle the evolution of a piece of music (IMO), but it has its uses.

I think I've read everything I possibly can and am now ready for interactive help...

I have the musical chops, and I have some limited digital studio time (on the musician end working closely w/the engineer/producer). I have no clue what software or hardware I need save for a general idea from research. Since every component works together, it's too complicated for me to be able to choose what will work well for my needs/together w/the rest of the equipment. I don't want to end up with equipment and software that stonewalls me or I end up outgrowing in a month. That's just frustrating. I'll need to learn how to use ANY of the software/equipment, so learning curve and UI's are more important than familiarity.

So basically, a great baseline system upon which I can expand later (instead of replace...).

Here's what I've figured so far:
*LCD panel monitor (space limitations)
*2HDD (3 if the package includes sampling software?) WD drives seem to be popular
*Synth (s/w or h/w, I don't know--I've heard crappy midi and its...crappy...I need some solid sounds...)
*2-octave midi controller (I'll add a big bro down the road as I grow) w/sustain pedal
*Audio card: Echo's Mia, M Audio's Audiophile 2496, and Terratec's EWX 24/96??
*Analogue mixer for mic/direct inputs (mostly acoustic, electric guitar, but also vocals, percussion, making samples from scratch)
*Mics
*If the midi controller doesn't cover this already, then a HUI--I'm not a mouse person
*Needs to be QUIET! (in relatively tight quarters, but at least the room is acoustically dead)
*Monitors and headphones--Studiophile BX-5 monitors, Logitech 2.1 system speakers, and ?headphones?
*And the software to make it all relevant, functional, and stable. I hear names like Cubase, Sonar, Protools, etc thrown around but I have no idea exactly what they do, whether they do what I need them to do and what additional s/w I would need (even after looking at the s/w websites...it's so freaking obtuse when you don't know the jargon!)

I would appreciate greatly anyone who may suggest specific hardware/software combinations/configurations and also tell me how much I would expect to pay so I know whether it's feasible. I'm a student w/VERY limited funds on top of all this, so I can't spend more than $25,000...whoops, j/k. More like $500 TOPS. Whoops, j/k again. Seriously, about $4,000 is as much as I'm willing to INVEST (that's it...an investment...hehe).

TIA,
Ethan Young

#4527 - 09/28/03 04:44 AM Re: Any Given SunDAW
tekminus Offline

Alright, 4k?

Alesis HD24 for recording with a nice HD. Just an idea. It's about $1500 here in Sweden.

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 09-28-2003).]

#4528 - 09/28/03 10:21 AM Re: Any Given SunDAW
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
If you want my opinion...

1. MAC G4 or a G5 with at least a GIG of RAM and an additional 100 to 200 GIG hard drive.
2. Logic Audio Platinum 6 with EXS or KONTACT Sampler.
3. MOTU or Emagic USB MIDI interface.
6. Digi 001 or MOTU audio card (or interface)
5. Mackie 12/02 mixer (or something similar if you don't like MACKIE).
5. AT least 5 octave master controller. Haveing only 2 or 3 octaves WILL piss you off.

PS
Some guys might talk you into buying Cubase instead of LOGIC and that's fine - both are good. And try to stay away from PCs. The latency is terrible. But that's just my opinion.
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-28-2003).]

#4529 - 09/28/03 02:19 PM Re: Any Given SunDAW
theledzepp Offline

Thanks ED

I checked E-magic's website--do you mean Logic Audio or Logic Platinum? Do they and Cubase have the same functionality? With the basic setup you outlined above (G4 realistically...), a flat-panel monitor, monitors and headphones, "regular" speakers, and a couple decent microphones (I've heard supreme results w/Sm57s...), how much $$ would you estimate it costing?

Thanks,
Ethan

#4530 - 09/28/03 02:21 PM Re: Any Given SunDAW
theledzepp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
Alright, 4k?

Alesis HD24 for recording with a nice HD. Just an idea. It's about $1500 here in Sweden.

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 09-28-2003).]

I'm not familiar with those types of setups (well, I'm not familiar with much anything). In what type of complete configuration (other hardware/software) does something like the Alesis exist? Do you use it?

Thanks,
Ethan

#4531 - 09/28/03 03:13 PM Re: Any Given SunDAW
tekminus Offline

If you don't want to use a computer for the actual HD recording, something like the Alesis is nice. I use an Akai DPS12 myself. The Akai looks a bit different, but does the same job. Some of the standalone HD recorders also have a built-in CD-burner, like the Yamaha AW's (AW16GCD).

-tek

#4532 - 09/28/03 04:04 PM Re: Any Given SunDAW
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I was refering to Logic 6 platinum.
As far as comparing Logic and Cubase - they have pretty much the same functionality. I've been using both for about ten years now and I prefer LOGIC, because I find it more flexible. But that's just me.

PS
Estimate...
Well for everything, including a G4?
take a DEEP breath man.......ready?
about $7500 - May be less.
Keep in mind that you don't have to buy everything at the same time + there's always other alternatives. Looks like Tek's got an idea there.
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-28-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online