SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#452494 - 05/23/18 02:38 PM What you won't do for love
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
No, not the Bobby Caldwell tune, I'm thinking back to when we willingly hauled around a 400+ lb. B3 (closer to 500 with those solid oak side carriers) and one or two 100 lb. Leslies. And usually for the princely sum of $100-125 for a four hour gig and then loading up at 1 or 2am after a hard night of playing and drinking. Gosh, what fun. It was even worse for me 'cause I had a C3 which was probably 50 lbs. heavier than the 'B'. Plus, by the time the gig was over, all the desirable ladies had already left (with some guy that didn't have to gig for a living) in a cute little convertible (vs the raggedy van you were compelled to have to haul that stupid organ around) and you were left with only the '2am deplorables'. Gosh, what fun. Remember how the other band members would magically disappear when it was time to load the organ (ever wonder why you never kept in touch smile ). Now we whimper, although we can pick up every single piece of equipment we own with one hand but still complain about a 5lb weight difference in a keyboard that can accurately duplicate 1000 different instruments. What a bunch of slackers we've become.....or did we just get OLD.

Zuki's quip about getting an organ made me think of all this smile.

chas

#452496 - 05/23/18 03:01 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hurt my back on those things way before I got old! Yamaha FS500 was a beast, plus leslies, pedals, p.a., etc. The dollies weighed a ton by themselves. Two of my happiest days were when I bought it and when I sold it! It was my LAST organ.

#452498 - 05/23/18 03:39 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I was lucky ... I only had to haul around a Rhodes ... used one of those big refrigerator hand trucks ...
Played with a 'classic rock' band for a year in RI with a guy who played a Hammond... he had big piano legs hinged to the sides to make it easier for four guys to carry ...

#452500 - 05/23/18 04:30 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

So blessed to have memories and relive them. When I met my wife, she (nursing school) was at the bar I played (Livers Club). Fast forward, I quit the band, we married and I played the Holiday Inn circuit, 6 nights a week, kicking the pedals on an A100. Yes, had the HL822 I believe. The patrons would marvel when she (5'1 - 100 lbs) and I (not much bigger with a 27 waist) lifted that thing in and out of the Dodge slant 6. Great days.....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#452501 - 05/23/18 04:49 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

I'm disappointed read the Title....and I thought that finally Chas would grace us with a song.....oh well frown

#452505 - 05/23/18 08:35 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
During my B3 days I was the drummer in the duo. We hauled that beast around covered in a tarp in the bed of a pick up truck. More than once I can remember skinning my knuckles getting it through a door jam. A three or four hour gig was more like a 7+ hour job. The money....not even worth talking about. It would have been great training for a career with United Van Lines.
Eddie

#452506 - 05/23/18 08:37 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
In the 60's I demoed Hammond organs...they were called exposures.. The company had a special equipped Ford Econoline.. The dolly stayed attached to the Hammond..

When I gigged …. I used an accordion smile

#452509 - 05/23/18 11:00 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
... I was born in 1973...
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#452519 - 05/24/18 02:08 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Darnit I love that Bobby Caldwell song lol. Just shows you don't need the latest keyboards to make unforgettable music.

#452520 - 05/24/18 02:25 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I'm disappointed read the Title....and I thought that finally Chas would grace us with a song.....oh well frown

I have heard Chas posting his music on the forum. He posted a recording of his smooth jazz lineup that was magical. I just don't recall you posting yours Donny. Or I could have just missed it cos that is possible.

#452521 - 05/24/18 04:11 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Actually, both Donny and chas have posted their music, and I would love to hear more of both ...

#452523 - 05/24/18 05:20 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Wow! I hadn't seen that live performance of the tune before....fabulous! That SUPER-SOUL sax solo at the end is KILLER. What a great arrangement. We used to find a way to play this tune no matter what kind of gig it was; it was ALWAYS a super crowd-pleaser. A couple of people have covered it but Bobby Caldwell's is the definitive version. You just don't mess with perfection smile.

As far as posting music, the guys I jam with just don't want to record without a live drummer (and depending on the tune, a bass player). Since they're the ones that do all the driving (to my house) and have all the talent smile , I don't push it. When I record alone, I usually use a pre-recorded drum track (rarely, but sometimes I'll record a drum track from my BK7m or from my E-kit control module). I usually use organ bass or hand play a separate bass line from my G7, Motif ES, or controller and VST. I have a couple of recordings of just Bob (guitar) and me but they're mostly straight-ahead jazz tunes (Just Friends, East of the Sun, etc.). Anyhoo, still waiting on my Crumar Seven (backordered at Sweetwater) to record some 'real' Rhodes.

chas

#452531 - 05/24/18 06:59 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
Originally Posted By Dnj

I have heard Chas posting his music on the forum. He posted a recording of his smooth jazz lineup that was magical. I just don't recall you posting yours Donny. Or I could have just missed it cos that is possible.

Nigel I have posted many songs on SZ usually for a week before I remove to make room on hosting site, posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music...take care

#452532 - 05/24/18 07:04 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: shueymusic]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic
... I was born in 1973...

OK now.............. smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#452540 - 05/24/18 08:00 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music...

I respectfully disagree. This is a FORUM, not a music posting site. On a FORUM we discuss music and the equipment we use to make it. Posting music, usually as an example of something being DISCUSSED, is just a bonus. People should not feel COMPELLED to post their music (by either very subtle shaming or bullying). We, as forum members, are only obligated to provide a friendly and welcoming environment for people to post their music IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. So I think this constant nagging to 'post your music' needs to stop. Saying "I like your music and would love to hear more" is DIFFERENT from the admonishment that " posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music", especially on a forum such as this. JMO.

chas

#452541 - 05/24/18 08:30 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
... I have a couple of recordings of just Bob (guitar) and me but they're mostly straight-ahead jazz tunes (Just Friends, East of the Sun, etc.). Anyhoo, still waiting on my Crumar Seven (backordered at Sweetwater) to record some 'real' Rhodes.
chas

I was 19 years young and attending college at night when I met a trumpet player in one of the classes ... he was trying to put together a 'cocktail' group and asked if I was interested ... I was already with the band I would play with for 26 years, but I figured I would give it a try ... He had a vibes player who was excellent, himself on trumpet, and me on accordion with left hand bass - we later added a bass player which I guess told me that I needed to work more on my left hand ... the trumpet player and the vibes player would switch off on a little 'cocktail' drum set when not playing their main instrument ... I loved it when it was me, the vibes player, bass, and drums ... we used to get close to that "Art Van Damme" sound ... one of the songs we did particularly well was "East of the Sun" ... I've loved that song ever since ...

PS ... We played a few nice gigs, but then my schedule took me away from them ...

And, no pressure, chas, but I hope to hear some of that 'real' Rhodes sound ...

#452542 - 05/24/18 08:52 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Caldwell Kicks ASS! I particularly like "Janet". He's still HUGE in the Orient. I went overseas with Cal Collins once (the 80's), and Bobby was king there.

Luckily, most of my B-3 gigs were house jobs. When I had to do a one-nighter, I used a small Coleman trailer that tilted. It had a camping top, a mat, motorcycle channels and rails. Just big enough for a small PA, B-3 and a 147.

Now, if I have to move a B-3, I hire a piano company to move it and add the price to the contract. My working B-3 is at a country club where it has resided for over 20 years. Lots of repairs. I'm going to retire it and replace it with the two manual Hammond XK???. I also have a cherry condition C. The Methodist church in my home town bought it, and my grandmother donated a new Rogers several months later. Been meaning to move it to Lexington, but should probably sell it,

Everything was bigger and heavier back in the day. Now, house jobs are virtually gone.

Gotta love Three Dog Night and the Rascals!

Be well, all.

Sorry for the grumpy mood lately.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (05/24/18 08:55 AM)

#452544 - 05/24/18 09:22 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: captain Russ]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
One Word.........AWSOME....Harold

#452545 - 05/24/18 09:29 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I hope to hear some of that 'real' Rhodes sound ...

You will Tony, if I don't die of old age before it comes off of backorder smile. However, RUSS plays organ, piano, vibes, jazz guitar, and I believe he used to own a real Rhodes, so between his keyboard skills and his mastery of jazz chording (which a Rhodes really needs to come alive), I'm guessing he's killer on the Rhodes. I'd also like to hear Rory Hoffman on one and I'm guessing Uncle Dave could also hold his own. I'm sure there are others here with a Rhodes history that could also do it justice but like the B3, they're just no longer practical to keep around, much less haul to a gig. The relatively inexpensive, no-maintenance Crumar Seven though, is perfect for me as it will be permanently placed in one spot from whence it shall never roam smile. If Russ comes by after it arrives (and he will), I'll get him on disk and post it (with or without his permission smile ).

BTW, you're making that heart procedure seem like just a tiny bump in the road (although we all realize the seriousness of it and continue to wish for your speedy recovery).

chas

#452547 - 05/24/18 10:49 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music...

I respectfully disagree. This is a FORUM, not a music posting site. On a FORUM we discuss music and the equipment we use to make it. Posting music, usually as an example of something being DISCUSSED, is just a bonus. People should not feel COMPELLED to post their music (by either very subtle shaming or bullying). We, as forum members, are only obligated to provide a friendly and welcoming environment for people to post their music IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. So I think this constant nagging to 'post your music' needs to stop. Saying "I like your music and would love to hear more" is DIFFERENT from the admonishment that " posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music", especially on a forum such as this. JMO.

chas

ok chas if that's the way you feel,...
no need to get angry save your CAPS mad ,...
I said my peace,...you said yours,....let the pieces fall where they may..personally I'd rather listen then talk but that's me..

#452549 - 05/24/18 12:48 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Donny, I'm not angry, the CAPS are for emphasis, not anger. When I said I RESPECTFULLY disagree, I meant it.

chas

#452550 - 05/24/18 01:45 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

BTW, you're making that heart procedure seem like just a tiny bump in the road (although we all realize the seriousness of it and continue to wish for your speedy recovery).
chas

Fortunately, to this point at least, that's all it has been ... I am very thankful that I have not had any of the problems our good friend Don had ... had the incision checked today and it is very clean ...
I just came in from a 20 minute walk ... the street we live on is pretty flat, and it's like if you don't live on this street, you have little reason to drive on it, so there is very little - if any - traffic ...
As the song says "Day by Day"

speaking of songs, that live version was GREAT ... his name should really be Bobby COOLwell ... like Boz Scaggs, I just don't think he's gotten the recognition he deserves ...

#452557 - 05/24/18 03:55 PM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Actually, Caldwell and Skaggs are good friends. Skaggs includes several Caldwell songs in his live show and recognizes Bobby as the writer.

Big fan of both!

R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online