SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#452521 - 05/24/18 04:11 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Actually, both Donny and chas have posted their music, and I would love to hear more of both ...

#452523 - 05/24/18 05:20 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow! I hadn't seen that live performance of the tune before....fabulous! That SUPER-SOUL sax solo at the end is KILLER. What a great arrangement. We used to find a way to play this tune no matter what kind of gig it was; it was ALWAYS a super crowd-pleaser. A couple of people have covered it but Bobby Caldwell's is the definitive version. You just don't mess with perfection smile.

As far as posting music, the guys I jam with just don't want to record without a live drummer (and depending on the tune, a bass player). Since they're the ones that do all the driving (to my house) and have all the talent smile , I don't push it. When I record alone, I usually use a pre-recorded drum track (rarely, but sometimes I'll record a drum track from my BK7m or from my E-kit control module). I usually use organ bass or hand play a separate bass line from my G7, Motif ES, or controller and VST. I have a couple of recordings of just Bob (guitar) and me but they're mostly straight-ahead jazz tunes (Just Friends, East of the Sun, etc.). Anyhoo, still waiting on my Crumar Seven (backordered at Sweetwater) to record some 'real' Rhodes.

chas

#452531 - 05/24/18 06:59 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
Originally Posted By Dnj
I'm disappointed read the Title....and I thought that finally Chas would grace us with a song.....oh well frown

I have heard Chas posting his music on the forum. He posted a recording of his smooth jazz lineup that was magical. I just don't recall you posting yours Donny. Or I could have just missed it cos that is possible.

Nigel I have posted many songs on SZ usually for a week before I remove to make room on hosting site, posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music...take care

#452532 - 05/24/18 07:04 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: shueymusic]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic
... I was born in 1973...

OK now.............. smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#452540 - 05/24/18 08:00 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music...

I respectfully disagree. This is a FORUM, not a music posting site. On a FORUM we discuss music and the equipment we use to make it. Posting music, usually as an example of something being DISCUSSED, is just a bonus. People should not feel COMPELLED to post their music (by either very subtle shaming or bullying). We, as forum members, are only obligated to provide a friendly and welcoming environment for people to post their music IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. So I think this constant nagging to 'post your music' needs to stop. Saying "I like your music and would love to hear more" is DIFFERENT from the admonishment that " posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music", especially on a forum such as this. JMO.

chas

#452541 - 05/24/18 08:30 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
... I have a couple of recordings of just Bob (guitar) and me but they're mostly straight-ahead jazz tunes (Just Friends, East of the Sun, etc.). Anyhoo, still waiting on my Crumar Seven (backordered at Sweetwater) to record some 'real' Rhodes.
chas

I was 19 years young and attending college at night when I met a trumpet player in one of the classes ... he was trying to put together a 'cocktail' group and asked if I was interested ... I was already with the band I would play with for 26 years, but I figured I would give it a try ... He had a vibes player who was excellent, himself on trumpet, and me on accordion with left hand bass - we later added a bass player which I guess told me that I needed to work more on my left hand ... the trumpet player and the vibes player would switch off on a little 'cocktail' drum set when not playing their main instrument ... I loved it when it was me, the vibes player, bass, and drums ... we used to get close to that "Art Van Damme" sound ... one of the songs we did particularly well was "East of the Sun" ... I've loved that song ever since ...

PS ... We played a few nice gigs, but then my schedule took me away from them ...

And, no pressure, chas, but I hope to hear some of that 'real' Rhodes sound ...

#452542 - 05/24/18 08:52 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Caldwell Kicks ASS! I particularly like "Janet". He's still HUGE in the Orient. I went overseas with Cal Collins once (the 80's), and Bobby was king there.

Luckily, most of my B-3 gigs were house jobs. When I had to do a one-nighter, I used a small Coleman trailer that tilted. It had a camping top, a mat, motorcycle channels and rails. Just big enough for a small PA, B-3 and a 147.

Now, if I have to move a B-3, I hire a piano company to move it and add the price to the contract. My working B-3 is at a country club where it has resided for over 20 years. Lots of repairs. I'm going to retire it and replace it with the two manual Hammond XK???. I also have a cherry condition C. The Methodist church in my home town bought it, and my grandmother donated a new Rogers several months later. Been meaning to move it to Lexington, but should probably sell it,

Everything was bigger and heavier back in the day. Now, house jobs are virtually gone.

Gotta love Three Dog Night and the Rascals!

Be well, all.

Sorry for the grumpy mood lately.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (05/24/18 08:55 AM)

#452544 - 05/24/18 09:22 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: captain Russ]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
One Word.........AWSOME....Harold

#452545 - 05/24/18 09:29 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I hope to hear some of that 'real' Rhodes sound ...

You will Tony, if I don't die of old age before it comes off of backorder smile. However, RUSS plays organ, piano, vibes, jazz guitar, and I believe he used to own a real Rhodes, so between his keyboard skills and his mastery of jazz chording (which a Rhodes really needs to come alive), I'm guessing he's killer on the Rhodes. I'd also like to hear Rory Hoffman on one and I'm guessing Uncle Dave could also hold his own. I'm sure there are others here with a Rhodes history that could also do it justice but like the B3, they're just no longer practical to keep around, much less haul to a gig. The relatively inexpensive, no-maintenance Crumar Seven though, is perfect for me as it will be permanently placed in one spot from whence it shall never roam smile. If Russ comes by after it arrives (and he will), I'll get him on disk and post it (with or without his permission smile ).

BTW, you're making that heart procedure seem like just a tiny bump in the road (although we all realize the seriousness of it and continue to wish for your speedy recovery).

chas

#452547 - 05/24/18 10:49 AM Re: What you won't do for love [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music...

I respectfully disagree. This is a FORUM, not a music posting site. On a FORUM we discuss music and the equipment we use to make it. Posting music, usually as an example of something being DISCUSSED, is just a bonus. People should not feel COMPELLED to post their music (by either very subtle shaming or bullying). We, as forum members, are only obligated to provide a friendly and welcoming environment for people to post their music IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. So I think this constant nagging to 'post your music' needs to stop. Saying "I like your music and would love to hear more" is DIFFERENT from the admonishment that " posting music always
trumps (no pun intended) just talking about music", especially on a forum such as this. JMO.

chas

ok chas if that's the way you feel,...
no need to get angry save your CAPS mad ,...
I said my peace,...you said yours,....let the pieces fall where they may..personally I'd rather listen then talk but that's me..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online