Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#451654 - 05/07/18 11:37 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By DonM
......Probably a nice guy as well.

Yeah, I'm sure he is a terrific and lovely guy. smile
But to put videos like that at YT can be very risky ......
especially when pretend to play and not too good at pretending. wink
He probably have big fun, and that's what's counts.
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#451655 - 05/07/18 11:38 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
Originally Posted By Dnj
Just to be clear STYLES are only small SMF Files triggered by chords...

Maybe...but you sure can't get a full blown arrangement like "New York, New York" by playing style play. A lot of ebb and flow and intermittent instruments cannot be achieved in style mode, as in a SMF.

That said, I cannot and will not play a SMF. I love the versatility and (somewhat) creativity achieved by 'working at it'. I get a lot of compliments on my arrangements - which are really mine smile

I don't know why the disdain in playing with smf arrangements.....
mix it up you'll be a better musician for it and your audiences will love it even more, ....there is music after just repetitious styles ......why be just a one trick pony I don't get it?

#451656 - 05/07/18 11:49 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Sit there and look at that arranger and see if it plays. That is if you don't play a recording through it.

The point is you are certainly operating an automatic musical instrument that we know... But playing the individual accompiament style parts we're not....

I'll go out on the limb...........because anyone can do smf and a few can do style play effectively.

Give me someone from the audience and tell them to push SMF play smile

Put that same person in style mode .........

...isn't that the rap of this whole thread? If he was performing in style mode and really busy with changes, he'd be admired smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#451660 - 05/07/18 01:53 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Sit there and look at that arranger and see if it plays. That is if you don't play a recording through it.

The point is you are certainly operating an automatic musical instrument that we know... But playing the individual accompiament style parts we're not....

I'll go out on the limb...........because anyone can do smf and a few can do style play effectively.

...isn't that the rap of this whole thread? If he was performing in style mode and really busy with changes, he'd be admired smile

Have you considered the thought and talent to record and create a SMF song exactly in the arrangement you like track by track and then play on top of it with both hands....?

Edited by Dnj (05/07/18 01:58 PM)

#451663 - 05/07/18 03:06 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

Have you considered the thought and talent to record and create a SMF song exactly in the arrangement you like track by track and then play on top of it with both hands....?

Hey Donny,

If that's what you do, I wouldn't even mention the word SMF. You are creating a masterpiece from scratch, as in workstation. Kudos to that - done it many times and wish to no longer do so.

I was referring to the person who throws in a SMF and sings on top, or worse, as we've all seen.

But, you know, "Who am I?" as Casting Crowns sing (what a song!).
I just do what pleases me, in order to continue and admire anyone who has talent, no matter how they bring it.

Edited by zuki (05/07/18 03:09 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#451665 - 05/07/18 04:17 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Hey Donny,

If that's what you do, I wouldn't even mention the word SMF. You are creating a masterpiece from scratch, as in workstation. Kudos to that - done it many times and wish to no longer do so.

I was referring to the person who throws in a SMF and sings on top, or worse, as we've all seen.

But, you know, "Who am I?" as Casting Crowns sing (what a song!).
I just do what pleases me, in order to continue and admire anyone who has talent, no matter how they bring it.

Zuki,...I appreciate ALL Styles of music as there is good & not so go in all of it no matter how it is created...to just be like a Parrot as we all do and just mimick other peoples songs best we can is ok to make a few bucks and enjoy yourself but the deeper interest is in "THE CREATION" of the musical performance,...be it an original or stylizing it in such a way to make someone else's song your own...
If you were in a band you would only be playing your keyboard part same as you would playing on top of a SMF arrangement. That said all the tools to create music any way you desire is all inside these machines why not utilize them all and mix it up.
Good luck to you buddy.

keys

#451667 - 05/07/18 04:36 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Eric, B]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, I actually have a dedicated style file for New York, New York that provides you with a full blown arrangement. Of course, it's a Yamaha style, but I'll be glad to post it here so others can download and enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

Gary cool

Attachments
New York.S199.STY (112 downloads)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#451670 - 05/07/18 07:58 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary, could you post an MP3 of just the style so that we 'non-yammies' could just hear what it sounds like?

#451676 - 05/08/18 08:20 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Gary, could you post an MP3 of just the style so that we 'non-yammies' could just hear what it sounds like?

Here is Gary's NYNY sty in action!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m6kj3b82jjcb5q/NYNY.mp3?dl=0

Regards,

Jerryghr

#451678 - 05/08/18 08:37 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Eric, B]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I really enjoyed your NY NYrendition Jerry. I use that same style too and it works great. I do play with one singer that can’t live without the retardando finale so for him I use an SMF. Both approaches work...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online