SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#451315 - 04/30/18 02:47 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Eric, B]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The guy is using the keyboard as a "prop"... just like the light show, or even his hat..

I know players that use a keyboard as a buffer to the audience, or just as a player (media)..

I have seen big name country singers that strap on a guitar...and don't play it...lust an image (prop)..

I have seen decent singer/ piano performers rely on their back up keyboard players..

Or well known gal singers (stars) that can't sing without a pitch correction or studio backing track..

So to call this guy a fake, and not look at the entire entertainment business doesn't seem fair..

#451316 - 04/30/18 02:51 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
He could travel lighter with a Mic and mp3 player or laptop. I don't use backing tracks, but either way what he does doesn't make me "ashamed" of what I do..
Btw, anybody heard of this?
Merish4
or this?
Okyweb4

Edited by sparky589 (04/30/18 03:18 PM)

#451322 - 04/30/18 03:55 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: sparky589]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands

It is very clear that he is being cheated here, this happens in most holiday resorts ewaar I have been, if you tell the musician that he does not do anything you have an argument with the man in question. . But let's not forget that the most popular keyboard player on You-Tube gets the most appreciation by playing along with a Midi file. and that there are thousands of people enthusiastically with a DJ who has made an audio track in his home studio that he just turns on or off on his laptop computer. It is therefore clear that the audience does not care at all whether you make music yourself or not, but how you present it all.

Impuls

#451323 - 04/30/18 04:20 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Impuls]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Impuls

It is therefore clear that the audience does not care at all whether you make music yourself or not, but how you present it all.

Impuls

I respectfully disagree. It depends on the audience and the venue. If you tried 'faking it' in a jazz club (YES, they're still around), you'd get run out of the place. If the audience is there for THE MUSIC, they are not going to be nearly as accepting as those that are there to be 'entertained'. Also, is it a 'listening' audience or a 'dancing'/let's party, ya'll' audience. There is also the question of QUALITY. A really good singer/arranger player is always going to trump a bad band. But where the quality is equal, and given a reasonably sophisticated (and sober) audience, the band is almost always preferable. Of course, this is all theory as I've never personally seen an arranger player in any venue in all my 99 years on this planet. Maybe I need to get out more?

chas

#451334 - 05/01/18 02:46 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: cgiles]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Impuls

It is therefore clear that the audience does not care at all whether you make music yourself or not, but how you present it all.

Impuls

I respectfully disagree. It depends on the audience and the venue. If you tried 'faking it' in a jazz club (YES, they're still around), you'd get run out of the place. If the audience is there for THE MUSIC, they are not going to be nearly as accepting as those that are there to be 'entertained'. Also, is it a 'listening' audience or a 'dancing'/let's party, ya'll' audience. There is also the question of QUALITY. A really good singer/arranger player is always going to trump a bad band. But where the quality is equal, and given a reasonably sophisticated (and sober) audience, the band is almost always preferable. Of course, this is all theory as I've never personally seen an arranger player in any venue in all my 99 years on this planet. Maybe I need to get out more?chas

I mostly agree , but here in europe you see arranger in bands and a lot of solo entertainers use them ,for 20 years ago live bands where populair , but that time is realy gone , the youth only wants to listen to DJ's ( in smal places like bars and clubs) ,Festivals are a total other leage . When we play for audience with my band , the average eage is about 50 years. ( we know good music) :-) most in small places and playing for fun ( not payed) . keys

Impuls cool2

#451344 - 05/01/18 06:59 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Eric, B]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree, Chas, you really need to get out more. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#451348 - 05/01/18 08:36 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I CARE, A LOT whether it's live or "Memorex".

Many in a jazz audience know as much about changes as I do.

R.

#451350 - 05/01/18 08:59 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: sparky589]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran is right. About 20 years ago, the producer of a successful area band (7 top 10 albums in the last 20 years) asked if I would work with an upcoming country singer on guitar. I listened to him. He played like George Jones, Blake Shelton, Randy Travis, Toby Kieth and the like...almost no ability at all. He wanted to sound like John Meyer, Brad Paisley or Amy Grant's husband, a personal favorite, Vince Gill.

I told him that, right now, developing his stage presence, showmanship and repertoire was more important.

He made major bucks standing there holding that "prop" guitar and is now semi retired. About once a month, he stops by where I'm working with friends. He introduces me as his former guitar teacher, who advised him to "GIVE UP"!

We all have a good laugh. He's a good guy....TERRIBLE PLAYER!

Russ

#451394 - 05/01/18 08:06 PM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: Eric, B]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If I recall correctly, there was a TV band that was a total fake, but they turned their fakery into a mountain of money. Just cannot recall the name of them right now.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#451401 - 05/02/18 12:18 AM Re: How to fake playing an arranger ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Swissman Offline

Loc: Moita, Portugal
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
If I recall correctly, there was a TV band that was a total fake, but they turned their fakery into a mountain of money. Just cannot recall the name of them right now.

Gary cool

Milli Vanilli?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online