SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#450746 - 04/21/18 03:11 AM Upper keyboard fatigue
Bachus Offline

As many know, i have a 2 keyboard setup, kronos(lower) pa4x(upper)

When playing long term on the upper keys, i get fatigued more and more espescially in the shoulders.. its getting worse the last few months, to a level where its really affecting my daily routines.

the problem resolves, if i put the upper keyboard lower.. and a bit more forward... but then i can't use my Kronos anymore.. so thats not really an option..

anyone else recognising this?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#450747 - 04/21/18 04:08 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

That's why I always play a single kb... never had the need for double KB when I can do anything with one..Too awkward using two, especially on the road who wants to carry all that gear..... But we all play differently,.... Years ago I found that A-frame kb stands work best for multiple keyboards and are more comfortable to reach... Good luck.

https://lm-products.myshopify.com/collections/standtastic-keyboard-stands

Edited by Dnj (04/21/18 04:44 AM)

#450748 - 04/21/18 04:30 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Bachus

...... anyone else recognising this?

Yeah, I have the KMA in upper position, also connected to run BK-7m.
Bought a adjustable Mapex drummer seat to bring me in more comfortable hight when sit play both upper and lower keys.
I feel it's much better this way, but when only play Genos, I'm using the 'good old office chair'. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#450753 - 04/21/18 05:03 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

anyone else recognising this?

Yes. Same with me. No real solution as it gets more pronounced as we get older and more arthritic. If most of your (lifetime) playing has been at the piano (level), the muscles just aren't trained to handle this unnatural position for prolonged periods of time. Multiple manual organist fare a little better. I have a keyboard (VP770) on top of my organ (KeyB Duo MkIII) which has a flat top so that the VP770 sits directly on top of the organ without interfering with the organ controls. Since I only use it sparingly (the VP770), it's not a problem. However, in my studio where I have (two sets of) multiple keyboards on one stand, it's a big problem. In fact, I don't think I could play a live gig with that configuration.

The only partial solutions I can think of is to compromise a little and make the bottom KB as low as you can comfortably play it and move the top keyboard closer to the bottom one but further back so as not to obstruct the controls on the bottom one. Also, consider some arm/shoulder exercises to strengthen the shoulder muscles. You may need to consult a trainer for this. An alternate solution is, of course, an 'L' configuration (doesn't work for me). Good luck.

chas

#450759 - 04/21/18 05:37 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most problems are down to poor posture, (Particularly if you are coming from singe keyboard play) however here are some links for organ that may help with position.

2. PDF file

Bill

#450761 - 04/21/18 05:45 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

keys

#450783 - 04/21/18 07:53 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Dnj]
Sapphire Offline

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
I too have this problem since setting up both my boards, Tyro 5 bottom and SD7 on top. I thought this was a problem unique to me as I have been diagnosed with Peripheral Polyneuropathy which does make my arms and legs fatigue very quickly.
I find that if playing the upper board for a roughly half to three quarters of a standard length song my hands tend to hang onto the keys rather than press then release but having seen this thread then maybe it is not my condition but age which is the problem.

Alan.

Edited by Sapphire (04/21/18 07:54 AM)

#450793 - 04/21/18 09:09 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Sometimes I start to consider using several keyboards and then I say to myself “STOP!”. It just seems that when you’re comfortable, you can do so much more just because of this comfort. Even when it comes to typing some text it’s obvious that you want all the buttons to be in the right place.

I might sound ignorant, but I’d say that using few keyboards at once is a little bit “retro”.

Here I am, 7 years ago… Retro! :

#450794 - 04/21/18 09:32 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Retro or not, very nice playing by a young talented guy. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#450796 - 04/21/18 10:28 AM Re: Upper keyboard fatigue [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Sapphire Offline

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
I don't consider that as being Retro. Retro to us older players is probably 1950's, 1960's and early 1970's.

However, that said, I envy you your talent Kabinopus. I have reached the ripe old age of seventy one and would love to play as well as you. Alas that is not to be.

Alan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online