SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#450622 - 04/18/18 07:21 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Zuki,
Your vocals aren't really separated, as they get summed into the QSC amp with the kb tones. With just 2 wires from the keyboard you have full control of every element of your performance. The mic has dedicated volume knobs for lead and harmony, and the KB sounds have a balance control for lead/acc. I'm still a little cloudy on why you feel you can't adjust the mic separately, right from the kb cockpit.
Thanks for the vocal compliment, BTW. Shux smile

#450623 - 04/18/18 07:29 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
ZUKI,
i feel the same way about independant volume for vocals. I like that I can turn the volume up on the keyboard and not the mic.
There is much less fiddling around while you are performing and you also know what volume you are going to get when you sing. That is why I will never sell my vp7 roland. However, for most gigs I just use the onboard vp and I am gitting used to it.

MEL

#450624 - 04/18/18 07:34 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Zuki,
Your vocals aren't really separated, as they get summed into the QSC amp with the kb tones. With just 2 wires from the keyboard you have full control of every element of your performance. The mic has dedicated volume knobs for lead and harmony, and the KB sounds have a balance control for lead/acc. I'm still a little cloudy on why you feel you can't adjust the mic separately, right from the kb cockpit.
Thanks for the vocal compliment, BTW. Shux smile

It's all about separation of key and mic volumes. I want to be able to turn up one or the other, not both at the same time (and that is what happens). This is a nightmare (and for others) who have expressed the same problem on the forum.

This is why I used a mixer (now gone).

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#450625 - 04/18/18 07:52 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, I eliminated a mixer more than a decade ago. I approached this a bit differently, though, in that I still use an outboard vocal processor. However, when I have to increase the style volume I also want to increase the vocal vocal volume accordingly. I figured that once I had achieved a good balance between the vocal and keyboard volumes, I wished to retain that balance, thus no need for a separate mic volume. If for some reason I have a 3rd party style that has a louder than normal volume level, I merely lower the style volume using the keyboard slider for style.

In my setup, I use the TC Helicon Harmony-M, the output of which fires directly into the line in of my Yamaha PSR-S950. My harmony is triggered with a foot pedal, and because I use the Crown CM-311A headset mic and the Bose L1 Compact, I never experience any feedback problems whatsoever.

I too utilize the KISS rule, which made life a lot easier for me as an entertainer, and I sincerely believe that by lightening the load, it gave me another decade of being physically able to be an on stage performer/entertainer.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#450626 - 04/18/18 07:58 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thread highjack ! Zuki, I guess you feel secure about putting your keyboard on the Apex but don't you worry about someone leaning on the end of the keyboard ? That happened to me as a lady fell and grabbing the end of my keyboard. Luckily my stand had enough support so the keyboard was OK and BTW so was she. It was scary.
Do you sit or stand when you play ? Wondering if the mic boom will reach if you sit. I've always used a seperate mic stand.

#450628 - 04/18/18 08:38 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Apex stand has plus and minuses.... My beef was it's too tall for sitting, center pole blocks view, I cut mine down 6" with a hack saw to see better.... And used a extra long mic boom too as the back angle creates more distance..... I use a QL2000 double braced Xstand love it with attached boom.

Edited by Dnj (04/18/18 10:46 AM)

#450629 - 04/18/18 09:12 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

I stand, sing and play. The Apex is perfect with the mic attachment.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#450630 - 04/18/18 10:27 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There's no wrong way Zuki. Sounds like you're happy with this new setup - good luck!

#450632 - 04/18/18 10:46 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Thanks Dave. If I run into a snag (who knows), I'll be calling you smile

#450634 - 04/18/18 10:51 AM Re: 4X VH [Re: Bill Lewis]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Thread highjack ! Zuki, I guess you feel secure about putting your keyboard on the Apex but don't you worry about someone leaning on the end of the keyboard ? That happened to me as a lady fell and grabbing the end of my keyboard. Luckily my stand had enough support so the keyboard was OK and BTW so was she. It was scary.
Do you sit or stand when you play ? Wondering if the mic boom will reach if you sit. I've always used a seperate mic stand.

I learned the hard way. Never stray too far away from equipment after setup. I was taking a leak one time and heard a loud bang. Yes, a motorized wheelchair mowed over my equipment and knocked everything to the floor. I was using the PSR 3000 (just started) at the time and it cracked the corner casing. The guy was fine, but not my equipment.

I worry about my QSCs on a dual pole mount. Now that could cause real damage to a person! So, I always stay with my gear. As far as someone leaning on the keys - yikes, but at least the 61 seems secure on the Apex.

Edited by zuki (04/18/18 10:52 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online