4X VH

Posted by: zuki

4X VH - 04/16/18 01:27 PM

Worked all day on this and finally resolved my issue. I am running all audio outs (4) to my QSCs. This separates the keyboard and mic and allows using respective volume controls. Works like a charm and I'm getting great results, harmony-wise.

This will eliminate my mixer. Now I can back to my AX-48 stand too, which is really cool with the mic attachment. All I need.....KISS
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: 4X VH - 04/16/18 02:10 PM

Hey Jim, glad you got it sorted out.

Re: 4X VH - 04/16/18 03:00 PM

Thanks Bernie!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: 4X VH - 04/16/18 03:03 PM

Good for you, Jim ... sure wish my Pa900 had separate outs for vocals ...
Posted by: shueymusic

Re: 4X VH - 04/16/18 04:44 PM

And you are running them balanced? TRS to XLR?

I am so happy that this is working out for you!!

Re: 4X VH - 04/16/18 05:46 PM

thx J, 4X outputs are unbalanced. I just use unbalanced into the QSCs also, making it simple, with Monster cables. (I don't have TSR to XLR cables).
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: 4X VH - 04/17/18 08:52 AM

Zuki,
I can't imagine that using the additional QSC inputs give you any more control than the volume knob on the PA4X. Since the inputs on the speaker have no separate tone controls, and the 4X has all the needed EQ, and FX ... how is it an advantage using 2 extra cables, to get the same result?
Not being critical ... just wondering if I missed something. Everything gets summed into the amp of the QSC, so what is the benefit of using the extra wires?

Re: 4X VH - 04/17/18 07:35 PM

Hi Dave,

Maybe I'm missing something too smile but when I use all (4) outputs and global them correctly, I get separate control over mic and keyboard. Is this overkill?

Re: 4X VH - 04/17/18 08:14 PM

Hmmm, the only thing that I can see as an advantage is that when you use the separate outs, the 4X master volume control only changes the KB tones, and not the vocals. If you didn't separate the two, then raising the master would also raise your vocals. You have separate control of the mic, and keys from the front panel knobs ... all except the master. Hey - what ever works for ya. If you like running the extra wires, then go for it!

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 06:45 AM

Glad you responded Dave......is there another way to separate them and use less wires? It's a great find because I eliminated a mixer and the (3) extra wires (2 outs and 1 power cord).

Old way: Mixer - (3) wires / Keyboard out (2) = (5)
New way: Keyboard out (4) = (4)

My calculation shows less wires smile

It was a royal pain not to have separate volume controls, especially when engaging a harmonizer to boot. This way, I don't have feedback because I needed just the keys up and not vocals.

Works for me. BTW...I have side A on QSCs at 1/2 volume for keys and side B at 1/4 volume (hot gain on Blue 300).

Also, eliminating the need for X stand tubes to put my mixer in and mic boom is gone! I went back to the great Apex stand that looks fantastic, holds the keyboard straight and makes my appearance very clean. All I need is your voice and I'd really be golden smile

If anyone has a different way, all ears, but this is a much easier setup for me.

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 07:21 AM

Zuki,
Your vocals aren't really separated, as they get summed into the QSC amp with the kb tones. With just 2 wires from the keyboard you have full control of every element of your performance. The mic has dedicated volume knobs for lead and harmony, and the KB sounds have a balance control for lead/acc. I'm still a little cloudy on why you feel you can't adjust the mic separately, right from the kb cockpit.
Thanks for the vocal compliment, BTW. Shux smile
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 07:29 AM

ZUKI,
i feel the same way about independant volume for vocals. I like that I can turn the volume up on the keyboard and not the mic.
There is much less fiddling around while you are performing and you also know what volume you are going to get when you sing. That is why I will never sell my vp7 roland. However, for most gigs I just use the onboard vp and I am gitting used to it.

MEL

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Zuki,
Your vocals aren't really separated, as they get summed into the QSC amp with the kb tones. With just 2 wires from the keyboard you have full control of every element of your performance. The mic has dedicated volume knobs for lead and harmony, and the KB sounds have a balance control for lead/acc. I'm still a little cloudy on why you feel you can't adjust the mic separately, right from the kb cockpit.
Thanks for the vocal compliment, BTW. Shux smile

It's all about separation of key and mic volumes. I want to be able to turn up one or the other, not both at the same time (and that is what happens). This is a nightmare (and for others) who have expressed the same problem on the forum.

This is why I used a mixer (now gone).
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 07:52 AM

Jim, I eliminated a mixer more than a decade ago. I approached this a bit differently, though, in that I still use an outboard vocal processor. However, when I have to increase the style volume I also want to increase the vocal vocal volume accordingly. I figured that once I had achieved a good balance between the vocal and keyboard volumes, I wished to retain that balance, thus no need for a separate mic volume. If for some reason I have a 3rd party style that has a louder than normal volume level, I merely lower the style volume using the keyboard slider for style.

In my setup, I use the TC Helicon Harmony-M, the output of which fires directly into the line in of my Yamaha PSR-S950. My harmony is triggered with a foot pedal, and because I use the Crown CM-311A headset mic and the Bose L1 Compact, I never experience any feedback problems whatsoever.

I too utilize the KISS rule, which made life a lot easier for me as an entertainer, and I sincerely believe that by lightening the load, it gave me another decade of being physically able to be an on stage performer/entertainer.

Good luck,

Gary cool
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 07:58 AM

Thread highjack ! Zuki, I guess you feel secure about putting your keyboard on the Apex but don't you worry about someone leaning on the end of the keyboard ? That happened to me as a lady fell and grabbing the end of my keyboard. Luckily my stand had enough support so the keyboard was OK and BTW so was she. It was scary.
Do you sit or stand when you play ? Wondering if the mic boom will reach if you sit. I've always used a seperate mic stand.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 08:38 AM

Apex stand has plus and minuses.... My beef was it's too tall for sitting, center pole blocks view, I cut mine down 6" with a hack saw to see better.... And used a extra long mic boom too as the back angle creates more distance..... I use a QL2000 double braced Xstand love it with attached boom.

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 09:12 AM

I stand, sing and play. The Apex is perfect with the mic attachment.

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 10:27 AM

There's no wrong way Zuki. Sounds like you're happy with this new setup - good luck!

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 10:46 AM

Thanks Dave. If I run into a snag (who knows), I'll be calling you smile

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Thread highjack ! Zuki, I guess you feel secure about putting your keyboard on the Apex but don't you worry about someone leaning on the end of the keyboard ? That happened to me as a lady fell and grabbing the end of my keyboard. Luckily my stand had enough support so the keyboard was OK and BTW so was she. It was scary.
Do you sit or stand when you play ? Wondering if the mic boom will reach if you sit. I've always used a seperate mic stand.

I learned the hard way. Never stray too far away from equipment after setup. I was taking a leak one time and heard a loud bang. Yes, a motorized wheelchair mowed over my equipment and knocked everything to the floor. I was using the PSR 3000 (just started) at the time and it cracked the corner casing. The guy was fine, but not my equipment.

I worry about my QSCs on a dual pole mount. Now that could cause real damage to a person! So, I always stay with my gear. As far as someone leaning on the keys - yikes, but at least the 61 seems secure on the Apex.
Posted by: DonM

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 10:58 AM

I remember some years ago, playing at a party in Breax Bridge, LA. Doing a swing song and a really large lady was dancing with a man. I was set up right next to the dance floor on the same level, no bandstand.
This lady had a REALLY big back side! With each "swing" it was getting closer and closer to my keyboard. Finally she swung backwards within an inch of my setup, and I just STOPPED the music, and announced, "Let's have some fun; everybody change partners!" It worked as she moved away and found another victim. smile
There have been other close calls, including a time where I packed up and left a place when the SECOND fight broke out on the dance floor. Too close for comfort there. The owner followed me to the parking lot and asked why I was leaving early and I told him my equipment was worth way more than he was paying me. Bless his little heart, he paid me anyway!
Posted by: sparky589

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 11:57 AM

I use a quiklok Z stand. No balance issues side to side or front to back like some X stands. Fold up top arms and bottom legs and transport like a big H. Not a problem loading in back of suv on top of other equipment.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By zuki

I learned the hard way. Never stray too far away from equipment after setup. I was taking a leak one time and heard a loud bang. Yes, a motorized wheelchair mowed over my equipment and knocked everything to the floor. I was using the PSR 3000 (just started) at the time and it cracked the corner casing. The guy was fine, but not my equipment.

I worry about my QSCs on a dual pole mount. Now that could cause real damage to a person! So, I always stay with my gear. As far as someone leaning on the keys - yikes, but at least the 61 seems secure on the Apex.

Hmmm, interesting post. Funny how an innocent post can tell you a lot about a person. Probably without realizing it, you clearly showed that you were more concerned about the welfare of the people than about the equipment. I applaud that....a lot. Empathy seems to be a rare commodity these days. Good show.

chas

Re: 4X VH - 04/18/18 07:57 PM

I was thinking more on the lines of 'liability' smile Thx for the nice compliment Chas.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: 4X VH - 04/19/18 04:31 AM

Zuki please, let me hold on to my good image of you smile smile smile. Hey, in a bar full of drunks, you worry about the equipment; in a nursing home, you worry about the people......and make sure you've got good insurance smile smile.

chas