SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#450426 - 04/14/18 08:06 PM Most beautiful song
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This performance combines one of the most beautiful songs ever written, played by the legendary Roy Hargrove, with a heavenly arrangement by the composer, Benny Golson. It also shows off some of the finest ensemble playing you'll hear these days. You really don't have to be a jazz fan to appreciate the exquisite chord structure and progressions, and let's not even talk about the beautiful melody. Of course it was written for one of my favorite musicians, the late, great Clifford Brown, who died way too soon. Hope you'll take the time to listen, it's worth it. It may be that only Russ and Boo know the tune but that's okay. I lost 4 lifelong friends in the course of the last 2 weeks and that's probably what prompted me to post it. Thanks.

chas

#450448 - 04/15/18 08:36 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
tyroschuck Offline

Loc: Downey, CA, US
Thank you,
charles

#450450 - 04/15/18 08:43 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Beautiful indeed! I was a decent cornet/trumpet player in my younger days, but I never played a flugel horn. I understand they are a B instrument rather than Bb like trumpets. Beautiful tone.

#450452 - 04/15/18 09:01 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
No surprise to me Don, that you'd have a diverse musical background. Also, you'll never convince me that at some point you weren't a decent guitar player as well smile. Also, regarding some other recent posts regarding 'new gear', you'll notice that his flugel horn didn't look exactly 'factory fresh' smile. Seems to be the case with a lot of concert-level performers and their instruments. Is that why those old guitars are worth so much?

chas

#450453 - 04/15/18 09:18 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Love these guys, like Freddie Hubbard and the other jazz giants that bring out every emotion in their playing.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#450456 - 04/15/18 10:09 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Wish I had a couple of my guitars back...59 Strat, 40's Gibson L7 come to mind.
You're right Chas, I was decent, but only played it a few years. If I stuck with it I'd be pretty good I imagine. I have four guitars and seldom pick one up.

#450457 - 04/15/18 10:22 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Chas,

Great post! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends.

Always loved this tune, I discovered it by accident about 30 years ago when I picked up a piano solo book of Benny Golson tunes. I was actually looking for a sheet to “Five Spot After Dark,”. “ I Remember Clifford” was also published in the same book. I started playing it and I immediately liked the tune and found it within my ability to play. I had forgotten about the tune but took out the book after reading your post and realized with a couple of hours practice I should get the tune back under my fingers.

One added note at my wedding 24 years ago when the band took a break I played a couple of piano solos on my friend’s Kurzweil piano for our guests. One of the tunes was “I Remember Clifford, “. I lied a bit and said the name of the tune was “I Remember Michael” and played it in honor of my late father who had passed quite a few years before the wedding. My father was a very mellow guy and this tune seemed to fit. By the way no one came to me and said “you fraud” smile we know the real name of the song is “ I Remember Clifford.”

Thanks again for the memory.

#450458 - 04/15/18 10:40 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By DonM
Beautiful indeed! I was a decent cornet/trumpet player in my younger days, but I never played a flugel horn. I understand they are a B instrument rather than Bb like trumpets. Beautiful tone.

Hmmmm, not sure where you got that info, but every flugelhorn chart I ever saw was written for a Bb instrument. I understand there is a C conversion, but a standard horn is pitched in Bb.

#450460 - 04/15/18 10:41 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By DonM

Hmmmm, not sure where you got that info, but every flugelhorn chart I ever saw was written for a Bb instrument. I understand there is a C conversion, but a standard horn is pitched in Bb.

Well that makes a lot more sense! As I said, I never played one and not sure where I heard that. Thanks!

#450461 - 04/15/18 10:43 AM Re: Most beautiful song [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's one of my favorite tones .... If I ewer decide to tackle brass, I'm gettin one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online