SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#450406 - 04/14/18 07:46 AM Headworn wireless microphones
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm having problems using, adjusting, and getting used to a wireless headset. I've tried two different units and each has given me volume and screech problems. I assumed that the onboard speakers contributed to the problem, but it continues even when I'm away from the keyboard. AND, the sound quality seems much different than my EV or Shure mics. Anyone have comments or solutions? I'm about to return these units and stay with my handheld hard-wire stuff.

BTW, both of these units are Peavey, a PV-1 and a 16channel UHF unit.

#450407 - 04/14/18 08:13 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Cassp
The Crown CM 11A worked well for me as far as blocking an feedback. Gary is the pro on this unit. I'm sure he will chime in.
Ed

#450409 - 04/14/18 08:31 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary always muted his KB speakers when performing, so feedback was not as much of a problem. If you use onboard speakers, and a vocal harmonizer, like many do, a headset mic will be very tricky to manage as well as a good stand mic. They generally pick up too much around the sides, and therefore, confuse the harmonizer.

#450417 - 04/14/18 10:18 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like the AKG E520, but I used it wired. To me it is more comfortable than the Crown, and I like the way it sounds.

#450418 - 04/14/18 11:10 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I found the Crown headset to be a bit delicate. As careful as I was the plastic arms on two different headsets broke. And, like Gary, I muted the onboard speakers which would also help eliminate feedback.

#450423 - 04/14/18 05:44 PM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I know that muting the onboard speakers is helpful, but then all I have is the Bose Compact. I can’t get used to not having a speaker in front of me. What about a monitor?

Regarding the harmonizer, I think the wireless does interfere with it. What if I used an outboard unit like my Harmony M?

#450436 - 04/15/18 03:42 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My opinion: The main reason I do not use the on board speakers is that I want to hear what the people are hearing. The on board speakers and the Bose do not have the same the same sound; especially the bass.
I love the mic headsets, but I am wearing glasses, and sometimes I star at the music -- and if it is wired the wire is all over the place – and I feel like a man from Mars.

It is another thing to be concerned with. I move to and from the mic depending on what I am doing; they are two different sounds.

Cassp, give it a good try you may love um.
John C.
PS, how many people use a mic headset?

#450445 - 04/15/18 07:30 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I used the Crown CM-311A for two decades, loved it! First and foremost, it provides me with the freedom I did not have with a handheld mic on a stand. I could move anywhere and not worry about the mic position. The footprint was relatively small, especially in comparison with a handheld mic and I never had to worry about feedback while using the Bose sound systems. The range of the CM-311A was very short and the difference between full vocal sound and no sound coming through the mic is just the difference of positioning it so the mic touches your lips (per the instruction manual) and no sound at all was just moving the mic head a couple inches to where it was below your chin.

The sound quality of the CM-311-A was nearly as good as my Sennheiser E855. When properly positioned, there were no breath sounds and the frequency range was superior to nearly every handheld mic I ever owned. The clarity was superior to the Shure SM-58 and equally as good as my Sennheiser.

While you could not utilize the mic proximity effect, vocal control easily compensated for this, though some here may argue that point. Dozens of top entertainers used this mic and it was designed for Garth Brooks. It is also used by Sher Bono, Madonna, and many others.

While it is not as comfortable as some other headset mics, it's really not that uncomfortable, and after a couple weeks, I really didn't notice this unless I had to do a 4 hour job with no breaks. And, I too wear eye glasses.

Now, as UD said, I dead plugged my onboard speakers while using the Bose line array systems. When the speakers were positioned off to the side and a bit behind me, I heard exactly what the audience heard. There was no need for monitors. Additionally, using the onboard speakers as monitors can pose a problem, which I discovered the hard way. I had a job one day where I arrived just two minutes before the job was to begin because I got caught in heavy traffic. When there is an accident on I-95 and you are no where near an exit, everything just comes to a dead stop. I called the AD and she said it was not a problem.

Upon my arrival there were about 200 people waiting in the auditorium at Pickeresgill Retirement. They were all staring at me, or it seemed that way, while I was setting up as fast as I could. Back then I used to leave the onboard speakers turned on. Well, I fired up the keyboard, began playing and singing and noticed that no one seemed to be paying any attention at all other than a few folks in the first row sitting a few feet away. Then one got up and came to me and said, "something must be wrong, we can barely hear you." I had forgotten to switch on the Bose, but didn't realize it because I could hear myself just fine through the onboard speakers. That never happened again after dead plugging the onboard speakers.

When I used the CM-311A as a wireless mic, I used the Samson Wireless system, which has a tiny transmitter about the size of a 12-gauge shotgun shell. It plugs directly into any XLR connected mic, and fit nicely on the Crown beltpac. The range was incredible and I never had a problem with it. Later, I want to direct wiring because it eliminated more things to carry and that could possibly go wrong.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#450514 - 04/16/18 07:38 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: travlin'easy]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

I had forgotten to switch on the Bose, but didn't realize it because I could hear myself just fine through the onboard speakers.

LOL....recently, I had my mono mixer button OFF and the stereo button ON, which only allowed it to pass through (1) speaker. Everyone kept saying "turn voice up". Finally realizing what I did, it didn't deter me from repeating the same the next night. Vowing to never happen again, my left speaker was still not producing my vocals again......WTH? Well, this time, I just totally forgot to turn on my speaker smile Getting old!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#450524 - 04/16/18 09:16 AM Re: Headworn wireless microphones [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By zuki
this time, I just totally forgot to turn on my speaker smile Getting old!

Wait until you go to get paid and find out you're in the wrong venue smile .

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online