SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#450363 - 04/13/18 09:27 AM My nursing home visit....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mid-week, I went to a local nursing home to play for a birthday party for a life-long friend; a former governor of Kentucky. I reluctantly did this for the family.He's a "jazz nut".

While there, I ran into another old friend, a "chord-holder" from my old rock-n-roll days. Nick has built a nice little retirement business playing about 10 jobs a week at nursing homes. He is agreat guy, but a pretty pitiful player.

All that didn't matter. He has the right personality, line of BS and selection of up tempo tunes to really get over. He genuinely enjoys the work and so do the residents.

His changes are horrific, and selection of tunes was a random selection of things I wouldn't play on a bet.

Frankly, I wish I had the personality and the commitment. Basically, I don't have the talent (personality) to pull what he does off.

Add my intense hate for the "for profit" nursing home industry, and it's pretty easy to see I'll never work those kinds of jobs.

I do, however, have an appreciation for those who do it with compassion and sincerity.

I will continue to donate the fee for one of my "during the week" jobs to the group I'm in which lobbies for nursing home reform (usually, $300-500.00).

For those of you who do this kind of work, keep it up.
Just check those chord changes, please (LOL). Gary actually had a post years ago that made me give Nick a little advice. His tunes were from the Rosemary Clooney..Teresa Brewer era. I told him about Gary's suggestion that a 75 year old today would have been 25 50 years ago...think Three Dog Night....Fifth Dimension...Sunny...Spooky...I Love You More Today Than Yesterday...all kinds of up-tempo material with great changes, lyrics and melodies.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (04/13/18 11:55 AM)

#450369 - 04/13/18 11:51 AM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: captain Russ]
dont811 Offline

4/13/18 2:50PM EDT Hi Capt. Russ, I truly enjoyed your story. I also agree w/your advise about playing what was "cool" when the audience was in their teens & 20's.
I hope you get to read this.
Regards,
Don Taylor, Jr. Fl Yamaha psr-910 proud owner.

#450377 - 04/13/18 12:48 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: dont811]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Along with a lot of late 50s early 60s songs, I play a medley of "Put your hand in the hand/Joy to the world" that always gets a lot of participation ...

#450379 - 04/13/18 12:57 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Don. WELCOME! Hope to hear from you often.

R.

#450384 - 04/13/18 02:05 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Its not what you play it's HOW you play it...

#450385 - 04/13/18 02:24 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Not necessarily ... somebody can play GREAT, but if the audience doesn't relate to the music, what's the sense ?!? ...

#450387 - 04/13/18 02:39 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ I read and enjoy your every post, they come from a different place.
Thanks, John C.

#450388 - 04/13/18 03:20 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tony I feel the people in a N.H. are there to let up and have a good time. Worrying about the right chord or song, or how you are dressed are important but never as important as what they see in the performer.
Are you ready to make fun of yourself? Can you include them in what you’re doing? The song South of the border has a -- aye, aye, aye, aye lyric – If they are not singing that part with me I stop the music and in strong I tell them they have to sing along or else – and then I laugh and go back to the song. A small silly idea but it includes them, hams that they are.

The Shiek if Araby. I’m the Sheik of Araby – with no pants on (the add on after each phrase) Into your tent I’ll creep – with no pants on. The second step is to get them to sing the phrase – with no pants on. They get silly, they laugh and you are having a great time; and they see that, I adds to them having a good time.

If I am playing a wedding or anniversary it is all about the right song at the right tempo at the right volume – and my tux. Years ago the band wore a black jump suit (all one peace) with a matching tux jacket. The shirt was multi-colored. (Vivid coloring) When we were ready to let loose the jackets came off (they received a visual) We set a mood. We then play our most exciting song sets.

aaaaaah, it’s is good to go back to the old days. Ya know I was getting excited writing this. (smile)
John C.
PS, how does HE say it??? – “be so good they can’t ignore you”

#450389 - 04/13/18 03:36 PM Re: My nursing home visit.... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Dnj

Not necessarily ... somebody can play GREAT, but if the audience doesn't relate to the music, what's the sense ?!? ...

Your missing the point Tony,.. "HOW you play it" includes reading the audience also, it's all part of the performance,...if they don't relate that's on the performer who's doing something wrong one way or the other.But of course with such big egos as many players have it just CAN'T Be their fault right?.....
they are always blaming the audience,...go figure.

all the best

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online