SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#449354 - 03/25/18 10:05 PM Power of the Mind practicing principles for me
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've mentioned it a few times so I'm not going into great depth this time around. But I get a lot of mileage from just these few principles and I thought they were worth repeating.

Instead of doing 1-3 hours in a practice session, I break it up...20-30 minutes at a time with maybe a half hour between sessions. This way I get near a half dozen daily sessions. For some reason the brain seems to absorb info better "by sessions." So six short sessions are better than one long one.

That holds true for memorizing also. Go over a song (play or to memorize words) just a few times in a session, and give it up until your next session. Eventually the penny drops and one day it just comes out naturally (whatever you're working on) if you persist.

One more thing. I've been listening closely to jazz players to hear what they're doing. Most play so fast it's a hodge-podge for me to hear the notes. But years ago the hearing aid salesman told my father the reason he can't hear with his new hearing aids is because......he's not concentrating on the conversation. I then noticed when I go to a movie, I can't understand the words a lot unless I "concentrate" intensely. And that really works. So now I find when I'm listening to a recording if I go out of my way to concentrate on the notes I'm hearing, I can recognize a lot more of what the musician is doing than if I don't concentrate. More brain power!

I got started on PoftheM principles many years ago when I realized that playing music involves a lot of learning and that's not just on your instrument. I realized I'd better figure out the most efficient way of practicing everything and anything. All of this is hard to explain, it has to be experienced. But when they say you use only 10% of your brain power, they weren't just whistling Dixie!"

Most of you read this stuff already....just hoping it helps some of the other members (who just read the posts) in their practicing.

#449363 - 03/26/18 01:52 AM Re: Power of the Mind practicing principles for me [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Some good principles to remember. Thanks for sharing.

#449366 - 03/26/18 02:38 AM Re: Power of the Mind practicing principles for me [Re: Mark79100]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Agreed. I have never been able to practise for long periods.

I also find that when trying to learn a song I can listen to a recording over and over, and whilst I end up being able to play along with it, playing it purely from memory never works. However if I leave it a few days the tune will pop back into my head and at that point I will be able to play it. Weird but it works for me!

#449374 - 03/26/18 05:36 AM Re: Power of the Mind practicing principles for me [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

improvisation has to be felt inside when playing..

#449378 - 03/26/18 06:24 AM Re: Power of the Mind practicing principles for me [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

I never have a problem practicing for many straight hours. It's getting to the water that's difficult sometimes.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#449381 - 03/26/18 06:55 AM Re: Power of the Mind practicing principles for me [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
Great tips for thinking about your practicing techniques rather than just banging away for long periods. Practice routines should be broken down into sections of technique, review, new material, and playing for fun. It takes time for the brain to digest and "file" new info so cramming sessions rarely work.
Good stuff Thanks

#449484 - 03/28/18 08:00 AM Re: Power of the Mind practicing principles for me [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
It would be nice if I could break up my practice into chunks but my day job keeps me away from my instruments all day. I’m lucky if I can get an hour or two when I get home. But I do have down time at work when I take walks and listen to music, sing, and do some “ mental transcribing” For those fast passages Mark, try an app that slows down the music and loops it. I love Yamaha Chord Tracker. It’s free !

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online