SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#449202 - 03/22/18 11:40 AM Guitar Center in trouble
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Artical talks about declining guitar sales, imagine where keyboard sales are ? And the section on kids learning instruments is right on. They want it now with no investment in time or work, believe me I know from experience.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/20/gui...musical-tastes/

#449203 - 03/22/18 11:50 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
It's a sad commentary on those young folks who "want instant gratificaiton" and don't want to do the work to learn.

#449206 - 03/22/18 12:13 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Stephenm52]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
When I’m teaching, I encourage students to learn an instrument vs. spending hours on mind numbing games on their devices.

#449208 - 03/22/18 12:22 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

times are changing fast...Toys are US, Guitar Center, etc, etc.it's just a matter of time to only online music stores.. ............

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/major-retailers-closing-2017/

Edited by Dnj (03/22/18 01:42 PM)

#449217 - 03/22/18 01:21 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Th g.c. Nearest me is small because it has studios where they give music and voice lessons, another angle to their business.

As to guitars, I've been surprised at the amount of models within a brand manufactured. Minute options become additional models to the point of over saturating the g.c. wall of guitars.

I've seen models from Ibanez with exact descriptions with different item numbers where I can't see a difference in specs, and I'm not a novice. Of course if I go into a g.c., I'm treated like one by some kid..

#449223 - 03/22/18 02:08 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not surprised. Keep in mind that most of the GC stores are manned by relatively young people that have little or no technical expertise, very narrow musical experience, usually only a single instrument, little or no retail sales experience, and I seriously doubt they are paid very high, so there tends to be a high rate of employee turnover. We have several independently owned music stores in Maryland that have been around for more than a half century and continue to do well. Their employees are very knowledgeable, have a lot of technical expertise, sales experience, and they take care of their customers. Granted, their prices may be a bit higher, but usually not that much higher than GC. Most have their own service departments and the vast majority are factory authorized service centers for much of the equipment they sell.

GC will go the way of many other similar businesses, and for the same reasons.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#449228 - 03/22/18 05:01 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary. Your right on. A good friend who worked in a band with me years back was a dept. manager at a new GC. Made peanuts and worked his tail off.
As for the students if they would look at their"musical heros" they would see a common thread of time spent "wood shedding" to reach a high level on their instrument. But then again the rock star, who can sing/scream really high with no training gets all the attention and $$$. Go figure.

#449233 - 03/23/18 12:11 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Gibson guitars who have been a historic instrument manufacturer in the USA for over a century look like they have only a few months left before they go under. http://www.rockandbluesmuse.com/2018/02/28/end-gibson-guitars-bankruptcy-rumors-staff-layoffs/

#449239 - 03/23/18 05:47 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
In case you didn't read Nigel's link above, here is an interesting excerpt from it:

----------------------------------
"In addition, the popularity of the guitar might have suffered over the last decade or two. Younger music listeners may not gravitate to guitar-driven music, and the focus of the guitar hero is not as in vogue as it was in the 60’s, 70’s. It’s been reported that fewer pre-teens and teens are learning guitar and instead, are gravitating to making music with technology.

That is a shame. I sure hope the pendulum swings back on that one. You don’t have to possess musical talent to make music using technology."
------------------------------------

Hmmmm, wonder if that last statement also applies to arranger keyboards as well. I have often said, although many (including some school music programs) disagree, that I would NEVER give a child an arranger keyboard as a BEGINNING instrument. IMO, the 'basics' have to come first.

chas

#449241 - 03/23/18 06:23 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
It is all about instant gratification. My granddaughter said she wanted a keyboard at about 16 yrs old, and I said I had one I would give her only if she was serious about learning music. She said "Oh no, I have a friend in school that can teach me in a week everything I need to know". I told her about the proper scope of learning it and she wanted to argue about it. She didn't get the keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online