SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#448807 - 03/16/18 09:07 AM Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I was playing the other day and noticed some sounds that I had not heard before in on of the songs. I had time to explore it today and found that there are sounds playing even when every one of the 8 parts are set to zero. This seems to be the case on all styles.

I tried a factory restore but that did not change it. Any ideas?

#448811 - 03/16/18 09:22 AM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By PraiseTheLord
I was playing the other day and noticed some sounds that I had not heard before in on of the songs. I had time to explore it today and found that there are sounds playing even when every one of the 8 parts are set to zero. This seems to be the case on all styles.

I tried a factory restore but that did not change it. Any ideas?

go into your makeup tools within that style if its a drum set go into drum instruments on second page and explore each INDIVIDUAL PART of the drum set "SOLO" each till you isolate the sound...........if its not a drum kit check all sounds in the style sometimes there's more then one sound for each part also on other pages.....

#448813 - 03/16/18 09:33 AM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi.
I'm not any repair guru or engineer, but just thinking loud when see your post.....
Just to eliminate all other possible causes outside the BK.
Did you disconnect all other equipment and plugs totally from the BK, and play only the keyboard, and use headset to see if it is the same situation?
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#448825 - 03/16/18 12:22 PM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Crossover Offline

What exactly did you set to zero? Might it be the direct volume only, and there are still effect signals of the parts? And are you talking about style parts exclusively?

#448866 - 03/17/18 08:02 AM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Thanks for the responses guys.

DNJ, I did that from the Mixer window, and even with Solo selected on drums an occasional piano voice would sound.

Gunnar, I only had the BK-9 connected to my speaker system, and I tried it on my Bose and on my Focal monitors, same result.

Crossover, I hit the Mixer button twice to see the Rhythm parts volumes (Drums, Base, Acc1....), and then, using the sliders I turned the volume of each part to zero to try to isolate the problem, but even with all of them at zero the sounds were playing.

I finally did a Factory Reset and when I turned it on this morning the problem had gone! Great, but I still don't know what caused the problem. Hopefully it will never happen again! Hope not, since Roland have not offered a replacement for this keyboard.

#448867 - 03/17/18 08:11 AM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Good news... Probably just a glitch..

#449002 - 03/19/18 03:43 PM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I tested a BK-9 extensively in a local store. I encountered this bug and a lot of others associated with the user style creation work-flow. I didn't have the OS upgrades on my USB stick, so I don't know whether the bugs I found were ever corrected. My impression is that the software QC on the BK-series wasn't especially thorough and Roland abandoned it for the next generation instead of fixing the problems. I liked the board and there are some workarounds (like keeping my trusty E-50 to create styles.) But these problems discouraged me from buying one at full retail.

#449011 - 03/19/18 07:48 PM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

I think you are right, TedS. But it is an an amazing 76 key keyboard at a very light weight which until now has worked flawlessly for me for the last 2 years. I bought it virtually brand new at a very discounted price, so it has more than given me full value already, but frankly I do not know what I would replace it with.

I am hoping for many more years service, like other Roland models have given.

#449034 - 03/20/18 06:47 AM Re: Roland BK-9 Rhythm Sounds [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By PraiseTheLord
I think you are right, TedS. But it is an an amazing 76 key keyboard at a very light weight which until now has worked flawlessly for me for the last 2 years. I bought it virtually brand new at a very discounted price, so it has more than given me full value already, but frankly I do not know what I would replace it with.

I am hoping for many more years service, like other Roland models have given.

good luck Graham stay the course and make people happy with your music..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online