SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#448666 - 03/14/18 10:26 PM I learned a major lesson on tonight's event
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Actually, I should have learned my lesson 40 years ago. So here's the way it happened.

I'm playing a gig back in the 80's and thinking what a hot shot I am with my improvising. Gigs are all going alright, but someone said to me the following: (paraphrase) "we love to hear you play, but often we can't figure out what you're playing." That translated to......when you're doing a "sing-a-long" type song, you're all over the place with the melody....you're hard to follow.

Fast forward to 2-3 months ago on the SynthZone. Zuki posted his video playing Jobim. I'm sitting there listening and really enjoying the music. Why? Because he's playing the song exactly as it's written (and playing it very nicely)....no extra notes to throw me off...to keep me from enjoying the melody in my mind. I've been thinking about that for a while now since I watched it.

Sure enough, I'm giving a piano performance tonight and hitting my audience with everything in my repertoire, and hitting them hard. One song after another, and sandwiching the "sing-a-long" songs in there with the "flash" songs. At the end, a lady said to me "I hope I don't hurt your feelings. You're a great pianist, but.......when you play simple "sing-a-long" tunes, we don't know what you're playing so we can sing along (i.e. I improvise too much when I shouldn't be......one should improvise on songs like Brazil or Granada, etc, but NOT the "sing-a-longs"....they have to be played as one-note melody lines, EXACTLY as written).

I think I finally learned to get my ego out of the way and play to the people.

#448685 - 03/15/18 06:02 AM Re: I learned a major lesson on tonight's event [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I'd listen to the audience they will make you or break you....

#448692 - 03/15/18 06:54 AM Re: I learned a major lesson on tonight's event [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

Thanks for the compliment Mark.

Funny. One time, a guitarist (looked like a slob) and I showed up at a double book (imagine that). I (dressed wonderfully) had my usual live studio setup, with the all the bells. HE had a cheap acoustic and pignose.

In short, his whole deal was lousy chords and GREAT sing-a-long songs. Everyone in the room sang with him. That's what they wanted - not my fancy pants stuff or neat attire.

This is only one time out of thousands, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Edited by zuki (03/15/18 07:00 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#448694 - 03/15/18 07:49 AM Re: I learned a major lesson on tonight's event [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I'd listen to the audience they will make you or break you....

Ditto!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online