SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#448408 - 03/12/18 10:30 AM Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING??
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hey guys.....I wander what you do...regarding learning songs.
I can go learn a song from music...play it for a while...then after some time...can't remember it all...Yes I am 69 but it seems it has always been like that.
So is learning to play by ear the answer?
And can virtually anyone learn to play by ear??

#448409 - 03/12/18 10:35 AM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
My sister and I both play. I play by ear. She needs charts. I wish I could read as well as she does. She wishes she could play by ear. So I think the answer is NO.

#448410 - 03/12/18 10:36 AM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Although I read music also...
I prefer to just hear the chords in my head and play..

also let me add it gives you more freedom to be more creatively improvisational with your music any way you feel free to ..

Edited by Dnj (03/12/18 04:47 PM)

#448411 - 03/12/18 10:44 AM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I'm just glad I don't hear the chords in Boo's head.
(Just kidding Boo!)

#448415 - 03/12/18 10:51 AM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I just hear the chords in my head and play..

Same here! Sometimes I remember all the words, but when I'm having trouble with the lyrics, I have them on my Netbook PC right in front of me. Accessing them takes less than 2 seconds.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (03/12/18 10:52 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#448418 - 03/12/18 11:30 AM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Do Google search and you will find plenty of books and videos on how to learn to play by ear, (It can be taught to most people but it requires effort) however a good understanding of Music Theory (Chords etc.) helps, along with knowing (Or having quick access to) the circle of fifths.

Some people are just naturals, however in most cases they have problems learning to read music. (If you can do both you are laughing)

Bill

#448419 - 03/12/18 11:37 AM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I tried playing by ear, but it was straining my neck muscles, so I went back to using my fingers.
Seriously, no easy answer here. My mother could play any music you put in front of her on the piano, but couldn't play happy birthday without it. She was jealous of me because I could play without music.
I can read music and when I was getting started it helped a lot. Over the years I can hear the notes and chords better in my little pea brain. smile Only time I would read now is if it were something really strange to me that I'd never heard.

#448423 - 03/12/18 12:28 PM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I play by ear, but find myself turning to another band member asking "how does that song start?"

Many songs are similar , especially with instrumentals and ethnic music. Sometimes I'll start one with the intention of doing of different one..age doesn't help.

A LOT longer learning process with new stuff though. All listening and committing to memory, which obviously doesn't always work. Reading and going would be so much easier. It is like learning a foreign language, maybe I'll do it someday.

#448454 - 03/12/18 02:49 PM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By DonM
I tried playing by ear, but it was straining my neck muscles, so I went back to using my fingers.

rotf2

I'm mostly use and prefer the lyrics with the written chords strategig placed just as we could see in Georgia post.
Or, I simply have a note with chord progression if I it's sogs I don't remember well.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#448463 - 03/12/18 04:28 PM Re: Playing from music OR by ear...REMEMBERING?? [Re: leeboy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
Sadly I have to read everything. After playing a tune a number of times I do start to remember it, but, that’s not the same as playing it by ear.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online