SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#448218 - 03/09/18 09:22 AM Genos...a few thoughts
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I’ve had my Genos a little over a month. Been putting about two hours a day, minimum, on it since I got it. Had my first gig with it yesterday.

Genos is different than any keyboard I’ve had in the past.

First off, it’s 76 Keys....I’ve come to love that feature.

Genos has few dedicated buttons or sliders...almost everything can be assigned. I like that feature but it can also be a bit strange.

For instance, there’s no dedicated fader button. I didn’t think about that when I set up my master registration. So, on each of the 250 songs/registrations I have done, if I want the fader function, I have to go back and set that up on each song.

In other words, there’s very few Global settings. This can be both a blessing and a curse. So far, for me, I like the assignable features so it’s more a blessing.

One thing that’s interesting...Playlist works much like Songbook on the PA4X. If I edit a song on a playlist, it refers back to the original registration. That means that a song I edit on one playlist will update on other playlists that have that song. At least that’s what it looks like now.

Regarding Genos vocal processing, Yamaha must have updated it because it sounds as good(dare I say better?)to me as the TC Helicon.

Voices and styles are so good sounding to me that I enjoy hearing them as much as the audience does. smile

I read complaints/concerns about Genos on other forums. I wonder how many of those concerns are just tied to not understanding how Genos works?

The Genos is pricey but it’s obvious Yamaha put thought into this keyboard. The biggest thing I see is that with the many assignable features, and updated OS, I can end up with a new keyboard from time to time....without actually having to buy a new keyboard.

I guess what I’m saying...nice job Yamaha on the Genos. clap

#448219 - 03/09/18 10:05 AM Re: Genos...a few thoughts [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Regarding Genos vocal processing, Yamaha must have updated it because it sounds as good(dare I say better?)to me as the TC Helicon.

It might seem that way to your ears but "as good as a TC Helicon"? eek2 I cant even imagine that unless they gained technology from
TC Helicon themselves and incorporated it into genos which I doubt,.........I would have to actually hear a A/B VH comparison with my own ears to even give that a consideration,.....sorry..
secondly power singing tracking would also have to be auditioned in person.....

Edited by Dnj (03/09/18 10:27 AM)

#448227 - 03/09/18 12:20 PM Re: Genos...a few thoughts [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
He did say vocal processing and not harmony. The updated 32 bit DAC (digital to analog converter) will do wonders with the overall audio quality of the Genos. I would mostly use the XLR (with phantom power) for reverb on my vocals.

I would use the harmonizer and vocoder as a gimmick effect only for certain songs during a set.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#448228 - 03/09/18 12:27 PM Re: Genos...a few thoughts [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic
He did say vocal processing and not harmony. The updated 32 bit DAC (digital to analog converter) will do wonders with the overall audio quality of the Genos. I would mostly use the XLR (with phantom power) for reverb on my vocals.

I would use the harmonizer and vocoder as a gimmick effect only for certain songs during a set.

ok My bad.....I apologize, sorry.........Voc processing Yammy/Korg I can see,
...but I stand by my VH opinion above also...

#448253 - 03/09/18 08:02 PM Re: Genos...a few thoughts [Re: Dnj]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By shueymusic

ok My bad.....I apologize, sorry.........Voc processing Yammy/Korg I can see,
...but I stand by my VH opinion above also...

I agree with the VH position... TC is best.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#448257 - 03/09/18 11:44 PM Re: Genos...a few thoughts [Re: shueymusic]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good comments all.

Re: vocals. On the PA4X, there are more controls..I.e. to add more harmony/less harmony where on my Genos, there’s just an on/off button.

Interestingly, on Genos, there’s a dedicated talk button which I find most useful vs. fishing for that switch on the PA4X screen.

As far as vocal harmony goes, tracking etc, on the Genos, I’m very impressed.

I thought the TC Helicon unit was good also on the 4X. But let’s put it this way, I wouldn’t go out and buy a TC Helicon unit to use with Genos...at least not at this point.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online