SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44764 - 03/20/02 08:28 PM KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
After viewing the recently revealed picture of the KN7000, http://www.wtenaykeyboardstudios.com/SK-KN7000.html
I wanted to offer my thoughts & opinions.

I must admit that the new flip top lid (ala laptop computer style) is an innovative new idea for an arranger keyboard. I assume (hope) that the tilt back/forward combination LCD display & button control panel is able to tilt back to an almost flat position to provide the customary button access angle we're all used to. It appears that because of this design, that the panel memory buttons and other arranger function buttons will be situtated (disappointingly) further away from the key bed than I'd prefer.

My BIGGEST concern is the fact that this large tilt panel is one BIG moveable part. cable(s) are needed to connect from the main keyboard to this large moving panel & LCD display. I remember (on my KN5000) that I (and a number of other KN5000 owners as well) experienced loose cable connection problems between the tilt up color LCD screen & keyboard, so I see how this could become an even greater potential problem on the KN7000.

Aesthetically speaking, at least from what I can gather from this initial picture, I DO NOT like the looks/styling of the KN7000. It's oversized tilt control panel looks way out of proportion (too large & awkward looking ) in relation to the keyboard itself. The large tilt panel seems like it may block (muffle) the sound coming from the speakers (from the player's POV) as well.

As I have been putting a lot of (next keyboard) hopes into the KN7000, I'm not going to jump to any final conclusions about it this early in the game. Afterall, the KN7000 won't even be released till the Fall, so I suppose anything can happen between now and then. Nonetheless, I look forward to hearing other KN7000 opinions (based on the pic & Alec's report) as well. - Scott

#44765 - 03/20/02 08:48 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
PS: I'm now wondering if the KN7000 was designed and intended to be played with the panel in a near 90 degree angle position from the keyboard (as the picture shows). If so, you'd have to be careful not to press the buttons too hard (or risk moving the panel while performing). Other issues to consider is if the panel (in a 90 degree angle position) will block a clear view of the audience and/or music stand and internal speakers? Just my mind working overtime as usual.

#44766 - 03/20/02 10:08 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
Hi Scott
Just in case the picture disappears again I've saved it, enlarged it and set it as my wallpaper!
I agree with your concerns about the flip top. Surely it must continue back to a lower position. Also the one big moveable part is a problem especially for a gigging musician like yourself. If technics made the plastic shell a bit stronger it would help but if it's like previous models then the flip top certainly appears a little over-exposed and susceptible to accidents.
The button layout, apart from the pads, lcd screen and wheel all seem very different from the 6000. Have they discarded the tracker ball (or whatever it's called)....or is it over on the right somewhere? INTERESTING!
Peter

#44767 - 03/20/02 10:48 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
If this is going to be the new #1 top of the line from Technics,
it have to be as good to use that the "pros" can use it too.
The material quality have always been good, so I think that is
to be continued. Cable connections between the board and panel
should not be the big problem nowadays. (Look at all the laptops
around).
The picture is not any good, the keyboard is higher than wide,
so when we see it in better photos the first impression may be
far better. But it sure looks different then we're used to see
the keyboards.
I'm looking forward to see, feel and hear the machine, because
for me that's the only way to decide if my "good old" KN5000 is
leaving for a new Technics, or another added to the family.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#44768 - 03/21/02 02:22 AM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
I think the lift up panel is not a novolty. Years ago I think Yamaha something lik that only lifting backward not over the keys.

My concern is the color screen incorporated into the panel. As mentioned in other messages for a good access/feel wiht the buttons you tilt the panel almost to a flat posistion. But what if you want a better view on the screen.
You have to compromising.

#44769 - 03/21/02 03:23 AM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
technicsplayer Offline

many of these points have already been discussed and explained here in the other relevant threads.

The tilt up panel is the same angle(s?) as we have now, this picture just gives a false perspective of it. 90 degrees does not make any sense however you look at it.
I have heard of no problems with 6000 swivel panel connections since the 6000 was launched, so any problems are likely to have been many years ago.

The tweeters are not blocked at all by the panel, and high frequencies are the directional ones subject to reflection off solid surfaces. By the time the crossover to the midrange speakers has occured, the minimal amount of grill behind the fold back panel is completely negligible compared to the wavelengths of the frequencies involved, so there is no blocking of sound at all.

I would have thought gigers would have been pleased to see the back of the raised grills that could be dented so easily through mishandling.

Since the tweeters are closer to the player than before in this arrangement, monitoring and clarity should theoretically be improved in comparison. It remains to be seen how successfully this has been implemented in practise. But from a theoretical acoustic viewpoint it is a very logical design and likely to be superior to what we have now provided that it has been balanced as successfully.

The Yamaha with the same physical arrangement was the psr6100 (then 6300) which Bill Norrie pointed out here, and which I thought of as soon as I walked into the demo, because both of us have owned that model in the past. This was 1986 I think.

The panel is much the same angle as the Genesys and the 6500 so I can see no problems there. My only concern is how far away the buttons are, and that can only be resolved by actually playing it and seeing if it suits you. We will have to see...

#44770 - 03/21/02 03:45 AM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Dutch player Offline

Loc: Wormerveer, Netherlands
The first time I saw the picture, I thought: "Yuk, what an ugly keyboard that is." But then when I looked at it a second time, the new design might have some charm. I quess the picture doesn't represent the keyboard very well, because in the report of Alec he stated that the metallic colour of the keyboard has been maintained, but on the picture it almost has an antracite/black colouring. I think it's a very dark picture.
The only thing that worries me as well, is that the display and the buttons are on the same panel. I don't think that to be very beautifull. Even with the KN6000, which I think is a very beautifull keyboard (according to the looks), the display and the arranger buttons are divided with a thin line. I hope that such 3D-effects are in the panel of the KN7000 as well. Because one major, big, but very flat panel is not the thing that sounds very appealing to me. The new sound can be very beautifull, but if it comes from a keyboard with bad looks... But then I didn't see, nor hear it in Frankfurt, the picture doesn't represent the "star-trek" effect (see review of Alec) of the board, and its a very dark picture. I quess we just have to wait to see the real looks. I hope it's way better than what's represented on this picture.

The other thing I'm wondering is: what are these two round (are they round???) things on the right of the panel. One could be the sound-controller, but what is the other thing? And then, placing the real-time sound-controller on such a difficult-to-access place (far away), would not be very clever in my opinion (similar to the panel memory).

#44771 - 03/21/02 03:58 AM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
technicsplayer Offline

it is a very bad picture, obviously taken illegally (pictures were not allowed) from the back of the stage, and from above with insufficient light, and does not give a good represenation of what it looks like at all. Presumably that is why it was removed from the mr music site at technics request???

as far as I was able to tell I could see no sound controller ball, certainly not on the right at any rate.

#44772 - 03/21/02 04:31 AM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Many of you have comments/real concerns/suggestions concerning the KN7000. I contacted Panasonic and have provided an e-mail address in a separate post for all of you to write to. Express your feelings. I was assured Panasonic wants to hear your comments. Earlier, I spoke of my wish for the KN7000 to have a switchable multi-voltage power supply. That wish is now with Panasonic via the e-mail address I have given you. The company will be forced to do a re-think if their office is inundated with e-mails from knowledgeable KN users saying we will not buy a KN7000 if certain of the things we have highlighted are not included in the production board. I made it clear I will not buy the KN7000 unless I can change voltages with the simple adjustment of a switch. Use the direct line into Panasonic to voice your opinions!

Chuck

#44773 - 03/21/02 06:49 PM Re: KN7000 Picture: Feedback/Comments
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Dutch player,

Regarding the 'round things' on the right of the panel, the one closest to the display looks like the tempo/program wheel.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online