SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#446755 - 02/17/18 01:21 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Eric, B
I am with Donny on this one. Sort of wink
Even though the VH2 in my Genos is great it is not quit in the same league as my VoiceLive3.
Let me explain.
Like Donny I sing a little more with power at times.
Now all VH will distort if you sing with too much power.
However the main thing I noticed when I tried the two unites side by side was another tracking issue with the Genos.
Holding just a chord down and singing through the VH2 without any accompaniment the harmony of the VH2 was a bit all over the place. It did not stay with me. It kind of jumped a bit.
The sound was great. don't get me wrong.
The VoiceLive3 stays with me no matter what I do.
I surely can make the VH2 work and it is very usable, however I would have to adjust my singing a bit.
With the VoiceLive3 no adjustment needed.
Again the issue sounds bigger than it actually is.
I was impressed with the improvement of the Genos, but prefer my VL3.
Hope this clears it up a bit.
Eric

cool2

#446949 - 02/19/18 10:45 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

I've never had luck with the PA series VH, minus the 4X.

When I do employ it through a studio mix situation, through headphones, it sounds pretty good - cannot duplicate that live though.

One of the best VH I heard live was Dayton Bill - but don't know what he was using.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#446951 - 02/19/18 10:48 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

No way to fake it Zuki either your a singer or your not....VH is an art form in itself too many have no clue how to sing with it or when to utilize correctly also......
I learned from the master himself UNCLE DAVE!

here listen to Dave perform A Nightingale Sang #4

https://www.boydsongs.com/music

#446954 - 02/19/18 11:24 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

That has always been my favorite UD song ... the best use of a VH I have ever heard BY FAR !!!
IMHO ... of course ...

#446958 - 02/19/18 12:18 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I did a bit of testing last night with the VH2 and discovered a few things. First and foremost, you must exercise complete vocal control. Vocal harmony is not meant for a power singer who uses the proximity effect. This caused the VH to wander all over the place, even using my TC Helicon Harmony-M. While the Harmony-M handled this a bit better, when I maintained the mic distance and exercised vocal control, keeping the levels fairly clean and constant, both the VH2 and TC Helicon tracked perfectly.

Unfortunately, I didn't record the data, mainly because I cannot sing as well as I could just two years ago when my health forced me to retire. To me, this is quite disconcerting as I depended heavily upon my vocals during my performances. I loved it when the ladies, young and old, told me how much they loved my voice, then gave me a big hug and kiss. Those were the days, my friends. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446963 - 02/19/18 12:31 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I did a bit of testing last night with the VH2 and discovered a few things. First and foremost, you must exercise complete vocal control. Vocal harmony is not meant for a power singer who uses the proximity effect. This caused the VH to wander all over the place, even using my TC Helicon Harmony-M. While the Harmony-M handled this a bit better, when I maintained the mic distance and exercised vocal control, keeping the levels fairly clean and constant, both the VH2 and TC Helicon tracked perfectly.

Unfortunately, I didn't record the data, mainly because I cannot sing as well as I could just two years ago when my health forced me to retire. To me, this is quite disconcerting as I depended heavily upon my vocals during my performances. I loved it when the ladies, young and old, told me how much they loved my voice, then gave me a big hug and kiss. Those were the days, my friends. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary ever think about playing our as a double with a girl singer instead etc..

#446972 - 02/19/18 01:51 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
No way to fake it Zuki either your a singer or your not....VH is an art form in itself too many have no clue how to sing with it or when to utilize correctly also......

Well, that explains it. I guess I suck smile smile I sing well, the VH does not smile

Edited by zuki (02/19/18 01:52 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#446981 - 02/19/18 03:11 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
Originally Posted By Dnj

Well, that explains it. I guess I suck smile smile I sing well, the VH does not smile

Zuki.....it's not that your a bad singer.... it's all about knowing how to approach VH usage, type, settings,etc, in a way that makes sense to the music your playing......give Dave a shout I'm sure he can give you some pointers..good luck buddy..

#446989 - 02/19/18 04:38 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

Thx Donny - like I said, when I sing and use the VH through the phones, it's fantastic. I cannot for the life of me duplicate it live. I will get with Dave, as I want to add this if I get a 4X.

#447053 - 02/20/18 10:58 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Mic pattern can compound tracking problem. I use a super cardoid senn 945 for feedback control which can occur with Senn condenser mics in accordion when I switch to it during performance, You can't be off axis with that..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online