SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44642 - 11/15/02 12:55 PM Interesting info
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I know this is off line, but it interesting stuff ..... especially about calling an 809 area code .....
"DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809
Important information....

SUBJECT: 809 area code

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T.
DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809

This one is being distributed all over the US. This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call. Be sure you read this and pass it on to all your friends and family so they don't get scammed!

MAJOR SCAM:
Don't respond to Emails, phone calls, or web pages which tell you to call an "809" Phone Number. This is a very important issue of Scam Busters because it alerts you to a scam that is spreading *extremely* quickly can easily cost you $2400 or more, and is difficult to avoid unless you are aware of it. We'd like to thank Verizon for bringing this scam to our attention. This scam has also been identified by the National Fraud Information Center and is costing victims a lots of money. There are lots of different permutations of this scam.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

You will receive a message on your answering machine or your pager, which asks you to call a number beginning with area code 809. The reason you're asked to call varies. It can be to receive information about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone has been arrested, died, to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc. In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute. Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00.

WHY IT WORKS:

The 809 area code is located in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call" number, similar to 900 numbers in the US. Since 809 is not in the US, it is not covered by US regulations of 900 numbers, which require that you be notified and warned of charges and rates involved when you call a "pay-per-call" number.

There is also no requirement that the company provide a time period during which you may terminate the call without being charged. Further, whereas many US homes that have 900 number blocking to avoid these kinds of charges, do not work in preventing calls to the 809 area code. We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked to call a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize just disregard the message. Be wary of email or calls asking you to call an 809 area code number. It's important to prevent becoming a victim of this scam, since trying to fight the charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely! tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'l! ! l end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam."

Sandi Van Handel
AT&T Field Service Manager
(920) 687-904
Additional information can be obtained from the following AT&T Web Site
http://www.att.com/fraud/home.html#thre/s/

t.

#44643 - 11/15/02 02:51 PM Re: Interesting info
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting this information. I have alerted all of my family and friends in the States. And thanks to you, Nigel, for making it possible to e-mail posts from this forum. Its a great service.

Chuck Piper

#44644 - 11/15/02 05:54 PM Re: Interesting info
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
[B]Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting this information.
I want to add my opinion also. It seems to me that even if the usa phone company is only acting as a billing agent, they are participating in the fraud by collecting this bill! They know it as a fraud but yet still collect the money for it????? See what I mean? Warning the public protects them also. So when the usa phone company bills over 24,000.00 I wonder what there cut is? They get paid something for their service and it mat be a % rate. So, it adds up to one thing. The usa phone companies are making money on a fraud, and do not wish to stop! Right? The usa phone co. are helping this fraud to be. If they did not collect the money for it then it would not happen. And it seems to me that if the usa phone companies went to the government, the government would allow them to not collect the money and therefore put an end to it. If no money can be made, the fraud stops! And if they do not, it will continue. When they catch these guys, another will emmerge from the darkness and do the same thing until a new law is made. The whole thing is quite interesting, and in the end usa phone companies will benefit from all the news/free advertisement.
Sparky

#44645 - 11/15/02 08:12 PM Re: Interesting info
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
I do realize that some things are not going to happen. But that is the way it should be able to go. Phone companies make out very well on 900 numbers and other scams. And I just think that the scam artists have the phone companies collecting thier money and people have no choice but to pay or lose thier phone. Period.
Tony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online