SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#446248 - 02/09/18 11:51 AM Struggling with Bose S1 Pro
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Been running the S1 Pro with the Genos. The combo worked fine at lower volumes.

Today I tried louder volumes, something that might work in a smaller setting. S1 Pro had plenty of volume, no problem there. Problem is balance...usually too much bass.

I visited with Bose and got suggestions. I tried ever conceivable hookup to the Bose, using two input cables, then one etc....EQuing the Bose etc.

The Genos has a good final EQ system and I tried various EQ and compression settings.

In the end, at louder volumes, the Bose was a bit unpredictable..not fun.

I’ve also been using my DXR10 at louder volumes with the Genos and that PA is smooth and seems to play nice with Genos.

The crux of the issue with the Bose for me, is that the S1 has a built in EQ system that seems to over ride whatever I do on Genos.

#446254 - 02/09/18 01:43 PM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Update spoke again with dealer.

He suggested turning down Bose and controlling with Genos...sounds good again.

🤨

Been at this for 6 hours..got a headache. Going to quit for the day.

Once I get this figured out I have a feeling I won’t be trying to learn any new equipment for a while.

#446260 - 02/09/18 03:00 PM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Don't get stressed. Most of us are down to two brain cells (the minimum required for a synapse smile ). We get older and dumber while the equipment gets newer and more complicated. We can still learn it, it just takes longer smile.

chas

#446278 - 02/09/18 06:34 PM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, we don't get dumber with age. Our brain is similar to a hard drive in a PC. The more you have in it, the longer it takes to access the correct files.

I finally had the opportunity to try out the S1 today when my friend Helmut Licht arrived with his newly acquired S1. He had the same complaint - too much bass. I adjusted his PSR-S970's low EQ, and wallah! It sounded fantastic. However, when we took it outside on the deck to put it through it's paces, it was quickly determined that it would be great for small parties, up to maybe about 20 people, but not much more than that. The falloff was minimal, which we suspected would be the case, however, the overall range was not nearly as far as the Bose L1 Compact, which he uses for most of his jobs. The sound quality was terrific, though. High ranges were incredibly crisp, and there was more than enough gut thumping lows to blow out the windows when cranked up. The mids were perfect for vocals and most mid range instrument voices, especially piano and horns.

Good luck,

Gary cool (the old guy with just a single, lonely brain cell still functioning.)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446287 - 02/10/18 05:14 AM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: guitpic1]
Crossover Offline

So maybe it is worth considering as a mini subwoofer as addition to another pair of speakers...
But all in all, I wouldn't see any logic in preferring the S1 Pro over a HK Lucas Nano 300 or 302 for the same price with much more power in stereo...

Edited by Crossover (02/10/18 06:41 AM)

#446288 - 02/10/18 05:41 AM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

#446298 - 02/10/18 07:41 AM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good finds, Donny.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446299 - 02/10/18 07:42 AM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Good finds, Donny.

Gary

Thank you Mr Wizard!! cool2

#446300 - 02/10/18 07:57 AM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Excellent video. Makes a lot of sense of live sound. Bose is too expensive for me but I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Eon Ones.
I just keep reading about some of the guys here swapping out TOP $$$ keyboards and it makes my little PA purchase seem like nothing !!!

#446301 - 02/10/18 08:10 AM Re: Struggling with Bose S1 Pro [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Excellent video. Makes a lot of sense of live sound. Bose is too expensive for me but I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Eon Ones.
I just keep reading about some of the guys here swapping out TOP $$$ keyboards and it makes my little PA purchase seem like nothing !!!

Go for it Billy life is TOO Short to dilly dally!

good luck

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online