Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#446036 - 02/06/18 04:31 PM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By montunoman
Quote:

Usually the public won't notice any instrument replaced if they're not told about it,
but they sure will if it makes Jim a much better entertainer than he already is.
As said at this forum so many times, it's not the keyboard, it's the player. wink

I've performed with radically different keyboards ( Korg Micro Arranger, Ketron Audya 5, Tyros 4, even an entry level Yamaha) and not one time did anybody in the audience notice the change and this is at places I play regularly. That's been my experience anyways....

Paul ... I have to agree with you 100% ... For all the compliments I've received over the years, I cannot recall one person in the audience ever saying to me "this keyboard sounds better than your other one", even in places I was playing regularly ... and in one place the change took place from one week to the next ... One time a staff member commented on the difference in sound but the change was in the PA system I was using ...

1) many of us here play for older audiences whose hearing is not at it's highest level ...
2) for many of us here, our main instrument is our voice, and the KB is our 'back up band'...
Taking those two facts into consideration, I personally would be AMAZED if any audience member told me "this keyboard sounds better than your other one" ...

#446037 - 02/06/18 05:34 PM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Donny, I give you a run for your money, that's for sure : Just something about going from a TOL to a, well, toyish feel. I ran out of keys a couple times lol. Here's my thoughts:

1. just cannot get that 'playing' feeling
2. very thin sound in comparison (I know there are adjustments, but)
3. The speakers are more a nuisance than anything and are sure not the beauty of the 800 old speakers - very boxy
4. This is just me and I will look for a 4x61 and keep my 3x

Not going back on the job, need to keep nice to sell....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#446039 - 02/06/18 05:55 PM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a 3x, then went to a PA900, after using it for a few months, I went back to 3x because I missed some of the live controls, and it sounded somewhat different. So I pretty much can agree with your thought process.
The PA4x is MUCH better even than the 3x. You will love it. New sound generation, great new guitars, pianos, saxes, nice tilt screen, ability to use FC5 foot controller, direct play from USB.... and more. It's a big step forward.

#446040 - 02/06/18 06:58 PM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Jim,

I know where you’re coming from. I’ve had a few Korg’s including the PA800, after having a 3x I would have had a tough time going back to the 800.

#446041 - 02/06/18 07:32 PM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Zuki we are pulling for you!
Keep us posted on your Pa4x experiences.. cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/06/18 09:12 PM)

#446045 - 02/06/18 08:20 PM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I played it at NAMM sorry to say I was not to impressed

PA1000.

But I am aYamaha Guy.

Flip screen seemed flimsy keyboard feel not to good

Sound not to bad but personally I choose PSR over PA

I got Genos and 970 and like them both.

I have uses for both units.

#446049 - 02/07/18 12:50 AM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: musicforyourday]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Jim,

Now I really am confused after having been sitting in the wings since September for the arrival of the PA1000. I now begin to waver between a PA700 as my use is limited or.....temptation as ever....a current secondhand PA4X on offer ( no soundbar).
But on the Korg forum I read the following comment by someone who had been comparing the PA1000 and PA4X side by side at Bonners. Remarkable conclusions I think:

Just spent a few hours in Bonners trying out the Pa1000 and Pa4x side by side. I jotted down a few things to help me decide which to buy:
1. Pa4x has far superior build quality, it looks and feels professional. The Pa1000 is a bit plasticky and less professional. However that means the Pa4x is a lot heavier. The Pa1000 is only 10.75kg even with speakers built in.

2. The sound quality of the Pa1000 through its internal speakers was at least as good as the Pa4x but there is less choice e.g. less acoustic pianos although that is not a big issue as the Pa1000 has some really good pianos

3. The drawbar organ sounds seem to be identical and to my ears (surprisingly) the internal speakers of the Pa 1000 sounded slightly better than the Pa4x (with the soundbar) although appreciate this is subjective. I thought they were just as loud as well.

4. The Pa4x has physical drawbars and physical buttons for sound control (part on off and select) which means you can edit whilst keeping lyrics, notation etc on the screen whilst making changes (drawbars) or flip quickly back and forth (sounds) via a single button press.

5. Pa4x has more sounds and styles
6. Pa4x has more keyboard sets (12) compared to the Pa1000 (9) that can be displayed on the screen
7. The Pa4x keybed is a higher quality than the Pa1000 and longer (more piano like in length). The after touch seemed to be more responsive too
8. The Pa4x has a stereo input (e.g. for an iPad)
9. The Pa4x has an XLR mic input
10. The Pa4x also has stereo inputs for another keyboard so with 8 & 9 above has a lot more connection options.

For me its a difficult choice. The sound quality is fantastic but the build quality is budget and some very useful control features are missing. The Pa4x is about £1,000 more expensive plus it needs additional speakers. It’s also quite a bit heavier. If I was to go for the Pa4x-76 version (I’ve always preferred playing 76/88 notes) , it won’t fit onto the back seat of my car (across the seat) and I haven’t got a case for it (plus it would be very heavy with a case too!) I’ve driven 200 miles to try for myself prior to making a decision that has to be tomorrow!
NB - I did try the Genos as well and that is very very good (fantastic keybed) but yet another £1000+ on top. Sounds are fantastic too but for my type of playing is not worth the extra money ( I think!)

regards
JOhn

#446058 - 02/07/18 04:23 AM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

put the seat down in the car and the pa4x vertical vs horizontal?

#446062 - 02/07/18 05:52 AM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: zuki]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
To be fair Zuki you have gone from a TOTL instrument to a MOTL, shorter keys, softer Key bed and slightly different operating system and your not happy after less than a month using it .

This is because it doesn't sound the same or better than what you have been using for at least the last two years :-)

What would help is if you could set out clearly what you had expected it to achieve against what it actually achieved.

If you were comparing it to what you were used to then you were never going to be impressed were you ?

#446068 - 02/07/18 06:40 AM Re: First gig today with PA1000 [Re: spalding1968]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think I once posted on another thread that going TOTL to MOTL was like going from a Mercedes to a Ford ... the Ford will do the same job, but perhaps not the way you are used to ... It's good, but not the Mercedes ...
wink

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online