SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#445756 - 02/01/18 01:43 PM Genos arrived today
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
After four hours straight I’m bushed. I don’t know if I can shed much light.

Sound Genos through Bose S1 excellent....outstanding.

First impression pluses.

Voices are dead on. SA adds so much. Many are gorgeous. Genos uses one touch much like Korg does keyboard sets. Each style has 4 one touch settings. Each setting has three voices so you have 12 voice options for the style.

Styles are alive and rich sounding comes to mind. Genos is every bit as good as my 4X...maybe better?

Genos is well laid out...love the large touch screen...easy to navigate.

It’s light and easy to handle. Love all the multipad options...especially the vocal backups...really missed those from my Tyros. A specific multipad option comes up for each style.

Now the things that made me go hmmmm... 😖

The Genos has the same damn keys and key-bed as my S970! Unreal! On a $5K keyboard? This might be the deal breaker for me...my 4X keybed feels to me like a pro keyboard...the S970, not so much. BUMMER!

Voice, style and other sound balance...

For live play, all controlled, it appears, by sliders. The sliders work well..however the sliders are off to the side and I struggled to figure out when playing which slider controlled which volume etc. Not a deal breaker but I can see a person would have to practice with them so as not to get confused in live play.

Finally, I’m still struggling with paying that much $$$ for this keyboard...especially when the keybed is, I think, the same quality as an entry level PSR series. If the Genos had keys/keybed as good as my 4X, I think the deal would be done.

Oh well, I’ve got the board for a few days, we’ll see.

It’s true that Genos is a wonderful sounding keyboard.

#445760 - 02/01/18 02:17 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Congrats, and tnx for the cons and pros.
If the keybed is as bad as you describe, it will be disapointing.
I did hope it would compete to G-70 / SD 1 keybeds ....
Probably similiar to T4 and T5 ?
Oh well, have to wait till tomorrow for the package, and I'm not sure if there is any time to test this weekend.
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#445762 - 02/01/18 02:28 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1

The Genos has the same damn keys and key-bed as my S970! Unreal! On a $5K keyboard? This might be the deal breaker for me...my 4X keybed feels to me like a pro keyboard...the S970, not so much. BUMMER!

Finally, I’m still struggling with paying that much $$$ for this keyboard...especially when the keybed is, I think, the same quality as an entry level PSR series. If the Genos had keys/keybed as good as my 4X, I think the deal would be done.

sorry to hear this news frown ......I hope you have a good return policy in place without too much restocking fee?....at least you got it out of your system. I also agree the KORG Pa4x is almost the ultimate pro live arranger keyboard on the market today in so many ways....

Reading many reviews I am so glad I didn't bite the bullet early like I always do on genos...what ever KORG has lined up next for a TOTL successor to the Pa4x will be Amazing for sure.....I can wait.

good luck..

Edited by Dnj (02/01/18 02:34 PM)

#445767 - 02/01/18 04:41 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
The keys on the Genos are not as good as the Pa4x. In my opinion they are much better than the s970 and are no way like the entry level Yamaha arrangers. The Genos keys are like the tyros 4 and 5 and are shorter in length than the Pa4x.

Interesting though we all have our perceptions of products.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/01/18 04:46 PM)

#445768 - 02/01/18 04:44 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
After four hours straight I’m bushed. I don’t know if I can shed much light.

Sound Genos through Bose S1 excellent....outstanding.

First impression pluses.

Voices are dead on. SA adds so much. Many are gorgeous. Genos uses one touch much like Korg does keyboard sets. Each style has 4 one touch settings. Each setting has three voices so you have 12 voice options for the style.

Styles are alive and rich sounding comes to mind. Genos is every bit as good as my 4X...maybe better?

Genos is well laid out...love the large touch screen...easy to navigate.

It’s light and easy to handle. Love all the multipad options...especially the vocal backups...really missed those from my Tyros. A specific multipad option comes up for each style.

Voice, style and other sound balance...

For live play, all controlled, it appears, by sliders. The sliders work well..however the sliders are off to the side and I struggled to figure out when playing which slider controlled which volume etc. Not a deal breaker but I can see a person would have to practice with them so as not to get confused in live play.

Sorry you feel that way about the keys.
I have both keyboards too and the Genos has quite a bit better response and key action than the S-970.
The Genos keys are very responsive. Much better than the S-970.
It is even a tad better than my old T4.
However, I don't know how the PA4X keys are in comparison.
But the Genos and the S-970 are certainly not the same.
Try them really side by side.
The Genos is a great proffessional keyboard.
Give it another try .... wink
Eric

#445769 - 02/01/18 04:48 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
FSX keybed on the Genos... semi-weighted synth action with aftertouch. Same as the Motif XF but different than the 970... only Organ, Initial touch!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#445771 - 02/01/18 06:50 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Genos has the same FSX keybed as Tyros 2,3,4,5 and Motif XS,XF, Montage... this keybed is a WORLD of difference to the PSR keys...

The FSX keybed is slightly lighter than the Korg PA3x/4X key bed but it is still a VERY good keybed... to me they are both equally as good.. its a matter of preference.

#445772 - 02/01/18 07:25 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: Nick G]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx all. Genos sounds great and is a top notch keyboard.

I won’t make any decisions on keeping it till next week.

#445775 - 02/01/18 08:52 PM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, key-feel would never be a deal breaker for me. Firmer keys may make some folks play with more expression, but to me it never made a bit of difference. What encourages me to play with more expression is those wonderful sounds that come out of the speakers. When I hear those incredible guitars, sax's, strings, horns, etc..., it makes want to play longer and better.

Those same sounds also make me want to sing better. Yeah, I know that probably sounds crazy to some of you, but I'm not a musician - I'm just a hack entertainer that has always been able to sing fairly well.

Donny made some statements in another post about the VH2, which Yamaha has improved on with it's latest release of the Genos. Donny, go the PSR-Tutorial site and check out the demos at https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/board,88.0.html . I think you will find some of those vocal harmony posts you were looking for. Personally, I've never had a problem with the VH2 system on my S-950, but I do prefer the TC Helicon Harmony-M, which is no longer available. The TC harmonies are only slightly cleaner. The VH2, however, when properly set up does a fair job as well.

If I were able to go back to work, which unfortunately, is out of the question, I would have a new Genos and be performing ith it every day.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#445782 - 02/02/18 05:46 AM Re: Genos arrived today [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Gary the poor tracking of the VH2 is the issue for pro singers..if that has been improved as you say I haven't seen or heard any of that from Yamaha which should be a highlighted feature or from anyone in a demo.
Its just lacking the electronics.

Edited by Dnj (02/02/18 01:14 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online