SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#445196 - 01/22/18 01:48 PM From a true Blues lover
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
So Gary, this is what 'the Blues' sounds like (at least from my perspective). If the lyrics make you uncomfortable, just tune them out and listen to Rico McFarland's incredible guitar playing. You should listen with either headphones or good monitors. Also, check out the VERY appreciative audience at the end of the video. I always cringe when I hear el crappo labeled as "Blues". BTW, this video is for 'musical educational value' only (ie. not a political statement). If you truly like the blues, you'll like this.

chas

#445197 - 01/22/18 02:13 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Very enjoyable, Chas. The lyrics didn't bother me at all and the players were superb. Very clean, comfortable, laid-back performance.

Thanks for posting this,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#445199 - 01/22/18 02:37 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Gary. Also, notice how Lucky uses the Hammond organ, much like gospel church organist do, to punctuate, add body, create suspense, build tension, and just generally lay a foundation for the entire thing. I don't think any other single instrument does this quite as well, especially in this genre'. Damn, I love that 'B3' sound smile smile. Also, when you hear that real Rhodes, it makes you go back and re-evaluate that digitally generated one you THOUGHT you liked smile. I know that time (and technology) moves on, but boy-oh-boy, those old instruments sure sound good. I really think they did (and DO) inspine the guys that play them.

chas

#445200 - 01/22/18 03:24 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

I agree, Chas. Hard to beat those old instruments, and when I was playing guitar, I loved my tube amp sound a lot more than my high tech amp that I later purchased. Those were the days.

Gary cool

#445225 - 01/22/18 07:22 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Chas, obviously, I'm not a blues aficionato. What I know about blues you could write on the head of a match and have enough room to write the National Anthem as well. I watched that you tube video three times, I enjoyed it all three times, but my impression remains the same. To me, it sounds more like Black gospel than the blues that I know. For me, Eric Clapton's Hoochie Coochie Man is the kind of blues that I tend to enjoy the most. And, I have performed this song on numerous occasions and my audiences loved it. Am I wrong in my assessment of blues?

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/23/18 11:09 AM)
Edit Reason: punctuation

#445229 - 01/22/18 07:49 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My favorite Blues song. Gary Moore, Still Got The Blues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRTkCObfkUU

#445230 - 01/22/18 08:02 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Gary, there's no such thing as wrong. It's true that there are many similarities between Black gospel and the type of traditional southern blues usually associated with Black musicians (note that 'Black' is normally capitalized when used to identify race - same with 'White', otherwise it's just a color). As far as Eric Clapton goes, yes, I would certainly consider him a creditable blues performer - but you were asking about the music, not the performer. I believe anyone can play or sing the blues, but I think those steeped in the culture are likely to sound more authentic. Good blues requires 'soul' and not everybody seems to have it (or even recognize it when they hear it). Joe Cocker, one of my all-time favorite singers (if you can call him a singer), had soul to spare, Pavarotti had soul, Janis Joplin had soul, Maria Callas had soul, James Brown had soul, Ray Charles had soul, Aretha had soul, etc., etc., and the list goes on.

The problem with labels in music is that too many different things are lumped under the same label. A true musicologist could do 5 Phd disertations on 'The Blues' and still only scratch the surface. There are social aspects, historical aspects, musical aspects.....the list goes on. Not a simple definition for it, for sure but I'm heartened by your interest since it's one of my favorite musical forms (when performed at a high level). Because of the cultural makeup of this particular forum, there probably is not much interest here but it, along with an evolutionary form of it, Jazz, ARE considered to be America's only true original art form.

chas

#445231 - 01/22/18 08:04 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By DonM

Wow, that's funny, 'cause it's also one of my favorites.

chas

#445232 - 01/22/18 08:07 PM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By DonM

Wow, that's funny, 'cause it's also one of my favorites.

chas

Not funny, just good taste! smile

#445247 - 01/23/18 04:32 AM Re: From a true Blues lover [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Really glad to see you on the mend, Don.

chas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online