SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#444637 - 01/13/18 05:03 AM PSR 340 MiDi in problem
TLF Offline

Loc: Éire / Ireland
I'm using software to play multichannel MIDI and it works fine to a modern sound bank (for example, sending out to another computer running Logic Pro with each instrument assigned the appropriate channel).

But when I send the same to the Yamaha PSR 340, everything gets played on the same instrument and obviously sounds awful.

Can the MIDI implementation actually be this unusably basic on these machines or is there just a config option I'm missing on the keyboard itself?

Thanks,
TLF

#444668 - 01/13/18 11:40 AM Re: PSR 340 MiDi in problem [Re: TLF]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Better to post this question on www.psrtutorial.com/forum They have an entire section devoted to midi problems where you may find the answer has already been addressed.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/13/18 11:41 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#444677 - 01/13/18 01:14 PM Re: PSR 340 MiDi in problem [Re: TLF]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Had a look at the manual (Yamaha UK website). It's says it supports General Midi and is multi-timbral. So check that Logic Pro is set to use that protocol on the external midi channel. Are there program changes embedded in the midi tracks? I think bank select method should be set to 'normal'(which uses cc32 and cc0)? Is there any sysex being sent which is upsetting the psr? You could try putting a 'turn gm on' sysex message right at the start of the sequebce.

#444679 - 01/13/18 01:24 PM Re: PSR 340 MiDi in problem [Re: TLF]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By TLF
But when I send the same to the Yamaha PSR 340, everything gets played on the same instrument and obviously sounds awful....

Thanks,
TLF
Years ago, I purchased a PSR740. If I remember it correctly, it supported only MIDI Type 0 not MIDI Type 1. When a device doesn't support the MIDI file Type 1, that's exactly what happens. If that is the case with your PSR340, you can convert type 0 to type 1. You can read more about it here.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/what-difference-between-midi-type-0-midi-type-1/
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#444727 - 01/14/18 09:37 AM Re: PSR 340 MiDi in problem [Re: TLF]
TLF Offline

Loc: Éire / Ireland
Thanks folks. The only explanation I can think of is that it doesn't support the MIDI type that we all know and love today. Strange though, I don't know anyone with a similar issue. Then again, they're all using more modern equipment smile

I'm going to send to Logic Pro on the Mac instead so while it's not a solution, it's a workaround.

What would be the use of such a primitive MIDI input?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online