SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#444478 - 01/11/18 06:16 AM Russ, you familiar with this?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Picked up a nearly-new Sony HVR-V1U Camcorder for next to nothing. It's Mini DV so somewhat dated but seems to have good specs and reviews. Know anything about it? I got it mainly to film some of my grandson's swim meets. Tired of my son's phone videos smile. Any advice (other than really dig in and learn the darn thing smile ).

chas

#444775 - 01/15/18 09:24 AM Re: Russ, you familiar with this? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been using Cannon for years. Mini-dvd was a hassle. We just closed our Avid editing suite, which was what you dumped the footage into for manipulation.

Logan is the expert on equipment. We use a Cannon AX-10, which retails for a little over $1,000 and is being used for major movie releases.

Three years ago, the price-point for the main unit dropped to $10,000.00. A few years before that, we were in the Betacam business at about $50,000.00.

Likewise, updates on editing software are managed with a monthly subscription fee.

Pretty awesome.

Russ

#444790 - 01/15/18 01:45 PM Re: Russ, you familiar with this? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
You're right about mini-dv being a hassle, starting with needing a firewire (dated) interface to get your footage into a computer. Other than that though, it appears to be a nice little camera. When it was intoduced (@2006) it went for about $5k. You can still get a new one (although discontinued) for about 3-4k or about 800-1200 for a used one. The one I got (at an excellent price) is absolutely like brand, spanking new. I haven't taken it out for a test drive yet as I'm still trying to learn all the functions and not fall victim to the 'all auto' thing. Maybe this weekend. Actually I've ordered a mini-dv to digital unit to take some of the hassle out of getting it into ANY computer (ie. without firewire). I'm also looking into a MOTL video editor/movie maker software package that's user friendly enough to penetrate my thick skull (sounds like you're the MONEY and Logan is the BRAINS behind YOUR operation smile smile smile ). Truth is, I probably should have gone with a new, good-quality prosumer unit for the ease/simplicity of use and nearly-as-good picture quality, but you know how geeks are; the more buttons, the more irresistible the gadget smile. Talk to you later.

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online