SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#444156 - 01/07/18 05:27 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If you view playing from a dollar point of view you have a good point Donny.

Playing with another musician is like going for dinner or going to the theater. I spent three years playing with an Italian mandolin player in my home and in the clubhouse – there were times we played a paying job at a local place; I did my normal set of songs and we went to the tables mandolin, guitar and singing. We were called back many times.

More than music happened; there was a relationship on and off stage. When I watched Tony’s video I saw the relationship. When Johnathan wrote about doing a job together with his wife, there was more than just music. We were blessed with a talent that can be used in many ways --- in each stage of our lives it is possible to use our gift in a different way. Writing on this forum is one.

LIFE IS GOOD, John C.

#444158 - 01/07/18 06:51 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By bruno123

I never would let my mother-in-law on the stage, she would clear the place – and possible invite tomato throwing. (hehe)
Life is good, John C.

My father taught me this song, which I learned to appreciate even more later in life. It's titled, 'If all Mother-in-laws had locks on their jaws, what a wonderful world it would be'.

smile

chas

#444160 - 01/07/18 07:00 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
this playing with others is becoming a fading thing slowly look around you, financially people will go the cheapest route out there, DJ's rule the roost now,......be glad we had our chance years ago I know I do no regrets and "I Did It MY WAY!"

I have to disagree. In Buffalo bands are alive. You I can go out and listen to live bands any night of the week. I can even go see a 17 piece band every Tuesday (at lunch) and the place is packed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=96&v=P7fXGszIveI

Here is an example of the daily schedule at one venue next summer. Again standing room only.

http://rivergrillmusic.com/

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (01/07/18 07:27 AM)

#444161 - 01/07/18 07:26 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I believe that state is our state Donny. Doesn't say much for us..

I enjoy sharing my experiences here, but I don't believe in elevating myself at the expense of disrespecting the talent of others, indirectly or not.

My late best friend was the best talent I've ever heard. He was confident in his abilities, but the best thing about him was that while myself and others would say so, he never did about himself...

#444163 - 01/07/18 07:37 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bands are alive in Baltimore as well. DJs are lucky to get one job a week and that's the better ones here with light shows, etc... OMB guys are in nearly all the restaurants, and dominate the senior circuit, which is where the money is. The clubs usually hire duos and trios. DJs are on their way out here!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#444165 - 01/07/18 08:34 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Bands are alive in Baltimore as well. DJs are lucky to get one job a week and that's the better ones here with light shows, etc... OMB guys are in nearly all the restaurants, and dominate the senior circuit, which is where the money is. The clubs usually hire duos and trios. DJs are on their way out here!

Gary cool

http://www.ebetalent.com/wedding-party-d...bMaAq25EALw_wcB

https://www.gigmasters.com/search/wedding-dj-baltimore-md

https://www.weddingwire.com/biz/dj-jimmy-t-entertainment-llc-rising-sun/3c9e9004a1b07d31.html

https://www.theknot.com/marketplace/wedding-djs-baltimore-md

Baltimore DJ scene is on the rise...

Edited by Dnj (01/07/18 08:38 AM)

#444167 - 01/07/18 08:59 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
[

Baltimore DJ scene is on the rise...

DJ's are doing weddings.

The bands are playing restaurants, clubs, and senior circuits.

DJ's can have the weddings. I can't compete.

I'll stick to my target audience, and senior weddings

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (01/07/18 09:01 AM)

#444168 - 01/07/18 09:13 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, DJs are a given at weddings, of which there are very few these days. As far as I'm concerned, they can have every one of them. I no longer wish to put up with fickle brides, grooms who get blasted out of their minds at their own weddings, and the DJ playing hip-hop for the 6 brides maids that took off their shoes, got drunk and dominated the dance floor, while 150 other guests had to yell at each other because the music was being played at ear bleed levels. So, the DJ's get one wedding a month, while the bands are performing 6 to 7 nights a week. I have a good friend that was the top DJ in this area for decades. He had one wedding a week, no other jobs - just the weddings. He was paid an average of $800 for a wedding reception, which translates to about $200 per hour - big deal. While he had four hours work a week, most of the bands were working 24 to 28 hours a week. During that same week, the OMB guys are working an average of 5 to 10 jobs a week, depending on how much they wanted to work.

My DJ buddy has about $12,000 tied up in gear, it takes him about an hour to set everything up, while the OMB guy sets up in 10 minutes or less and has less than half that amount tied up in gear. The OMB guy can do three jobs a day, while the DJ is lucky to get one job a week.

My DJ buddy says it seems as if everyone with an I-pad and an amp is competing for the wedding jobs, therefore the number of available jobs has dwindled substantially. Additionally, a lot of young people are now opting for Destination Weddings, often in Mexico, where they can get a great package deal for the flight and wedding plan at an upscale resort. Consequently, most of the large, local, wedding halls are now advertising for business from conventions, which pay them better than weddings.

As I said, DJs are on their way out in this part of the world, KJs have pretty much taken over the American Legions and VFW post entertainment, but when the big events take place, the very first thing the American Legions, VFWs, Amvets and Animal Clubs do is look for a band. NYE, Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, Flag Day, Armed Forces Day, Christmas, etc... - all bands.

I guess things are different above the Mason/Dixon Line, but I doubt if it is that much different. The last time I was at an exibitor's Party at the Jacob Javitz Center during the New York National Boat Show, they had a 6 piece band - not DJ. Same was true for the Philadelphia Boat Show, Norwalk, CT boat show, Chicago Boat Show, etc... Gee, I wonder why those folks didn't opt for a DJ? wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#444170 - 01/07/18 09:27 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Gary I cant agree with you it's an electronic world out there we are dinosaurs who had a great run just playing other people music, I proudly pass the baton same as it was given to me when I was just a kid, good luck to them.......so let's just leave it at that,.... PS so called "Live Music" doesn't always mean GOOD MUSIC......look around you you can't be blind to what's going on out there now. Nobody cares..drink, jump around, scream yell, done, where's my check! When performing becomes and annoyance & a job for the bucks it's time to move on to something else that makes you happy.
That said I'm off to BJs to buy some Yoshida steak sauce you got my BBQ juices flowing snow or not...lol

Edited by Dnj (01/07/18 09:49 AM)

#444171 - 01/07/18 09:31 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
the DJ playing hip-hop for the 6 brides maids that took off their shoes, got drunk and dominated the dance floor, while 150 other guests had to yell at each other because the music was being played at ear bleed levels.

Gary, were you at the same wedding I was at last month?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online