SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#444139 - 01/06/18 05:55 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
I believe if he knew more about an arranger he might have done better. Never did it again.
John C.

I believe if he knew more about an arranger he might not have taken the gig ... grin drums

I've played 2 gigs on arranger kb with drummers ... both times we also had a sax and guitar, and both times we had a good size monitor right behind them eq'd to mostly bass coming from the kb so that they could really hear the tempo ... both gigs were successful ...

#444141 - 01/06/18 08:17 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
The drummer that works with me occasionally (with an arranger) is a true professional. He’s played with some very good groups over the years, including remnants of the Lawrence Welk group, Broadway shows, and such. He holds a degree in music and can sight read like crazy. No problem playing along with an arranger. He uses headphones straight off the mixer, where he gets a good mix of what’s going on. I typically start the style, so he can get the feel, then quickly mute the drum track. He’s right on the money and very tasteful. Live drums really can add to the approximation of a “live band” sound.

#444143 - 01/06/18 09:29 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I currently perform as a duo with my wife and as a solo when she can’t do the gig because of work. There is something special about a husband/wife music duo! We can both sing and it’s great making music together. At tonight’s gig, a 40th birthday party for a pastor, the lady who hired us is in tears after our Somewhere Over The Rainbow. My wife can draw out emotions... she is very talented!

10 Duo Gigs
6 Solo Gigs
9 Sound Gigs

We made enough money in 2017 to buy a Genos, the speakers, and a stand!! But, not buying anything until AFTER the NAMM show at the end of the month!!

If I didn’t do the 6 gigs as solo gigs, we would have lost $850. Plus, those solo gigs gave us more opportunities to do duo shows.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#444144 - 01/06/18 09:51 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: sparky589]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By sparky589
The overall product is better.But then you're managing personalities and the stage all night. Easier to manage your own volume levels than everybody else's. Nobody to chase after when its time to go back on...

That's the least of it. The actual playing with other musicians and their "peculiarities" and their "ego's" is the real challenge.

You hit a nerve in me that made me remember my last band job a few months ago. I've never seen such an assortment of ragamuffins together in one place. The bandleader was competent in leading the band. The rest of the players were pro's, but musically challenged. Who does the leader settle on as the centerpiece? His wife, of course. Couldn't sing in key....didn't even know the key....sang at full speed (somewhere around 80-85 mph), sang the same song over and over about 15-20 times 'cause she only knew 2-3 songs, didn't know how to talk to an audience. The horn player.......hard of hearing and they put him on the end where he couldn't hear the "calls." Given a song, he played the whole thing beginning to end without a "conversation" with another instrument. The trombone player was a really nice guy, but green/inexperienced so he didn't add much to the group. The drummer was "rushing" all the songs probably trying to keep up with the vocalist. I was contemplating taking a cyanide pill 30 minutes into whatever I got myself into. Then, just as I was asking God to shut my brain down before I suffered permanent damage, the leader mercifully called "finish." He was probably a mentalist reading my thoughts. But, here's the kicker.....people were coming up to us with compliments on how great the music was! I was thinking to myself did the leader hire a bus to bring his whole family there?

I played in a band for a few years when I was younger. Smooth as silk. Everyone knew their parts, came in and out of a song appropriately, and best of all, most players back then were just really great musicians who knew how to put over a song. Wha' hoppened over the years?

One of my band members was terrific but talked a lot. When we would eat between sets, he talked more than ate and was never ready to go back on in time. I started without him a few times... Another always shows up last minute or late.

Well, that didn't change much! Personality conflicts rears it's ugly head everywhere!

Of course, I would talk to them, but they were/are quality performers too good to replace.

One of my Golden Rules in life is "no one is irreplaceable." When you shut one door another one opens. For me that goes for everything musical (like "inadequate/difficult" musicians) AND non-musical (like doctors, car mechanics, wives and girl friends and McDonald's hamburgers.

Oh well.....looks like I went on another rant, but that job was so traumatic I swore I'd never work with a band again! I still have nightmares over it.

Forgot to say....musicians today have no idea of how to interact with an audience and make their playing more palatable with some creativity......they just "play the song!!!"

#444146 - 01/06/18 10:55 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm blessed to be in an area where are a great number of real pros, maybe 10 guitar players, several drummers and bass men, one tremendous harmonic player and a couple of excellent sax men.
Although as a rule most of them stay fairly busy, I can almost always quickly assemble a great band in a couple of hours when needed. These guys either know everything I do, or are good enough to lay out the first time through and then they will know it.
Most of them have played with big-name artists over the years, but have settled back here for whatever reason as they have gotten older. I'm talking PRO'S here, that can play almost anything on anyone's stage. And most all of them sing at least as well as I do or better. I do not ask them to play cheap, so I can usually get what I need.
It is an honor to share the bandstand with these guys, and I ALWAYS learn something from any of them.

#444147 - 01/06/18 11:41 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

This state I live in is like a huge junkyard. If I didn't know better, I would think it was an ancient Indian burial grounds before it got populated with bad musicians and too many pizza shops.

#444148 - 01/06/18 11:48 PM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100

I played in a band for a few years when I was younger. Smooth as silk. Everyone knew their parts, came in and out of a song appropriately, and best of all, most players back then were just really great musicians who knew how to put over a song. Wha' hoppened over the years?

That's "wha' hoppened"..........they all moved to Benton, LA, USA.com

#444151 - 01/07/18 01:06 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: shueymusic]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The magic that happens when you play with another musician does not happen when you play alone. The inter play brings more excitement and helps me reach new highs.

If the drummer is good he can play with an arranger keyboard. One of my closest friends was a fair drummer; I had to let him go and replace him with an excellent drummer – the band improved immediately.

Johnathan I married in 1976, my wife insisted on sitting in the rear of the stage in a high back stage – she did not play or sing; just sat there. I was playing a job in New York – Cocktail hour, four hours of continues music, one hour overtime, and then they served breakfast. (With background music) A man approached me and said he wanted to hire the band – but he would not do it unless the female singer came. Singer??? I said OK, that will be an additional $175, he agreed. My wife had a fair voice but she dressed well and was filled with personality; and she could sing Jewish and Italian songs. She was part of the band for the next 12 years. NICE! And I agree Johnathan, Husband and wife can create something very special – and the people can see and feel their relationship.

I never would let my mother-in-law on the stage, she would clear the place – and possible invite tomato throwing. (hehe)
Life is good, John C.

#444152 - 01/07/18 03:49 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
This state I live in is like a huge junkyard. If I didn't know better, I would think it was an ancient Indian burial grounds before it got populated with bad musicians and too many pizza shops.

what state is that NJ?

Edited by Dnj (01/07/18 09:28 AM)

#444153 - 01/07/18 03:53 AM Re: Thoughts on playing solo. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

this playing with others is becoming a fading thing slowly look around you, financially people will go the cheapest route out there, DJ's rule the roost now,......be glad we had our chance years ago I know I do no regrets and "I Did It MY WAY!"

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online