DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

#443959 - 01/04/18 09:43 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don what are we listening to?

#443964 - 01/04/18 10:23 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, it's a musical score for a TV commercial. Sounds great, Russ.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#443965 - 01/04/18 10:24 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ will elaborate when he gets a chance. Briefly, it's a score he did for a commercial.

#443966 - 01/04/18 10:26 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I would think it is a music score that Russ wrote and performed ?
Sounds like something 'Fourplay' or 'Chick Correa' would do ... Cool !

guess I started responding after you guys did wink

Edited by tony mads usa (01/04/18 10:29 AM)

#443967 - 01/04/18 10:38 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA

I asked Don to post this because, when I try to post, the URL rapidly repeats itself endlessly until I stop it.

This is a remake of a film ID score for a long-time client, who is having me do work for two different divisions. The first one, previously posted, was jazz oriented; this is different in that, while the other was mostly keyboards and horns, based on lots of changes using Major 7ths, this one is all stringed instruments (plus bongos and drum kit), using A Coronado Fender with Electrasonic (Gretsch) pick-ups, a PRS for solos, A P bass with a drop D for "balls", a Godin acoustic fretless bass and a Boss rotation sound effects pedal for organ tones.

Total was 8 tracks and took about 6 hours. Bill to client for the upgrade will be $5,000.00, since it is a simple remake.

The tricky part was, enough of the original had to remain to make the association with the over-all theme. But, it had to also be something that would become recognizable for the two new divisions. The other tricky part was getting old fingers to work like they used to. It's 8 full tracks, recorded one instrument at a time, which may expand by 4 if I use it on a longer film in the near future. The "adders" would be keys (Hammond SK-1) and a couple of "hired gun" horns.

The other factor is time. This is the background of two films to be the centerpiece of a large trade show in Orlando, Florida
(IBS), which loads in Monday, January 8. No chance for delays, the flu, sore fingers, output problems...from conception to completion all work was done in about 12 hours, with no time to spare. Simultaneously, 12 print projects, signage and lots more were in progress...all coordinated, in terms of graphics and audio.

I finally realized a year ago that the reason I'm so "connected at the hip" with music is, everything I do that matters to me dovetails with audio. My advantage in the communication business has, in large part, been the ability to supple superior audio.

In the last 5 years, print is being used less, replaced by near broadcast quality video...usually posted on a proprietary UTube channel. There is more work for well-rounded musicians than ever, and if you can write copy, do great still photography or graphic design, while the nature of the work has changed, there is plenty for a very comfortable, satisfying life. Multi-talented producers who can perform multiple tasks are at the top of the heap, job and money-wise.

Excuse the rant, but it's not easy to show what I do without examples. After the show, I'll post a link to the completed videos, if you'd like. A lot of this work is proprietary, so I'm glad the owner of this one lets me use it like this.

Be well, and thank-you for "tuning in".

Russ

#443968 - 01/04/18 10:47 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: DonM]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Excellent Russ! If you don't mind, can you point me to your first one that was "jazz oriented?" Link to the post or URL for the box app? Really enjoyed listening to this, thanks!!

#443969 - 01/04/18 10:50 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: TedS]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Would love to see the videos, Russ ...
Thank you ...

#443970 - 01/04/18 11:35 AM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Thanx for the information... Good luck with it Russ..

Edited by Dnj (01/04/18 11:36 AM)

#443978 - 01/04/18 01:14 PM Re: Captain Russ music [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ted, I'll try to find it. Don posted it for me before...if he can put his hands on it easily, that may be the best way.

As I recall, it was the rough before the final. It is recognizable, however. I have permission to share the roughs on these, but not the finished piece. I'd have to hunt for the rough on the first one if Don can't put his hands on it.

Tony, the video is being played at the National Home Center show next week; then all business to business. I'll ask for permission to show the film (actually, a slide show on the history of the company....an 80 year old Italian manufacturer), which is looped with an installation film (same score).

Typically, these guys are pretty closed lipped about their internal stuff, and I have to agree not to post finished original scores. I have had two instances where much smaller businesses have stolen rough scores and used them for completely unrelated businesses. To give you an idea, a full-blown score, written precisely to the edit is a minimum of $1,000 per minute. A completed film; a simple one without animation, a lot of travel or difficult sets bills out at a minimum of $2,500-10,000 per finished minute. This, believe it or not, is often faster and less expensive than print alternatives.

FUN, exciting stuff. I've been at it over 50 years, and I'm excited about going to work tomorrow, when I'll be planning my next trip to Dubai.

Be well...sorry for the rant, but there IS an alternative to playing Jimmy Buffet tunes for $100.00 per night to drunks.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (01/04/18 02:15 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online