Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#443545 - 12/29/17 01:27 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ
[s][/s]

My favorite said," Dear Mr. Benefactor: Thanks for the pretty guitar, but I'd rather have a keyboard".
OH Well,

Russ

In the words of the great 'poet' Ricky Nelson, "your can't please everyone but you gotta please yourself" ...

#443561 - 12/29/17 07:35 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

Here's another demo. You can really hear the drums in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs1cdUku9ww

#443733 - 01/02/18 01:11 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: Mikem]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Peter Baartmans is one of Yamaha's greatest assets in my humble opinion. He is also a huge motivator in getting people to at least consider purchasing a Genos. I mean if he can't convince you then who can? cool More importantly once people hear Peter playing the Genos the Genos basically sells itself because of the outstanding sounds it has in every category whether organ, strings, guitars, you name it.

No doubt mid-range and high-end arrangers today all sound fairly decent and good playing skills are icing on the cake. But if you want something out of the ordinary then there are only a few arrangers that fit the bill in my opinion. If you want the best then that narrows it down to three contenders i.e. the Korg Pa4x the Ketron SD9 and our most recent arrival the Yamaha Genos. If you want the cream of the crop then Genos in my opinion is a tough act to follow. But whatever floats your boat as they say.

The Ketron SD9 is even cheaper in price than the Korg Pa4x so yes if you want to save a buck then those two arrangers are very appealing and also sound great. What I'm trying to say is if your goal is to sound as good as possible then you need a keyboard that excels in realistic sound reproduction. Competition is good because it keeps the Big Three and others on their toes looking for ways to improve what is arguably already great products. Sound is subjective but if the goal is realism and authenticity then Genos takes the cake if you ask me. This is my own opinion of course but as they say, honesty is always the best policy, right? wink

All the best,

Mike

#443942 - 01/04/18 06:17 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: Mikem]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
My general concern about Genos is that I do not see it as a tool. I see it as a cool thing to have fun with at home, an attractive and tempting thing. But playing in public you “sell” yourself as a singer or as a pianist, so all the “backing content” is not supposed to steal the focus. I notice that at first dealing with a new arranger keyboard I enjoy listening to all parts of an accompaniment and playing all voices, but eventually I enjoy muting parts of accompaniment except for drums, bass and pad, and focus on basic voices like pianos.

My point is that there’s not much room or need for playing horns or violins or saxes if you play in public because they tend to make music sound “cheap”. So I don’t see Genos as an efficient tool to play in public. And it’s not a keyboard for a band either. I’d say that $700 is a sufficient budget for a keyboard for gigging. And as for a studio type of work, Genos seems to be a weird choice as well. There’re as well such options as Yamaha MOXF, which cost about $1100. It sends audio through USB – I didn’t have a chance to try it but it seems like a real thing.

Well, it’s nice if people have nice homes and want to buy nice things for it. Like Genos or even Clavinova CVP-709GP. I guess it’s them whom Yamaha targets in the first place, offering Genos or CVP-709GP. I admit, a part of me wants to be among these people. Another part of me wants to be more mobile and flexible, which means no such security.

So it doesn’t have to be a practical purchase. But you have to label it somehow, you can’t just name it “a very cool thing”, it works better if it’s labeled “a tool for songwriting of a studio quality”. Well, Casio also declares most of their keyboards to be suitable for studio and stage, so what’s the point to be surprised.

Don’t mean to be offensive, I just need to let these thoughts out… so that I could change my mind latter...

#443944 - 01/04/18 06:40 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: Mikem]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think we have to pros and cons of any major purchase and I, for one, appreciate hearing an honest opinion.

#443946 - 01/04/18 06:57 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: travlin'easy]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
when she gets home, I will be grilling a couple steaks basted with Yoshida Gourmet Sauce, and some portobello mushrooms slathered with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder. Also grilling some asparagus coated with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder.

Gary cool

Holy Cow! That's exactly what I had to eat last night, minus the Yoshida!

Grill all year, even in -7 degree smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#443947 - 01/04/18 07:25 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj
First off...Where are all the younger players?....everyone is sitting around their looking as they are falling asleep looking at heir watches,........saying to themselves "I could never play like him" Yes Genos sounds great but wouldn't making the demo more "customer playing ability friendlier" to induce people to maybe drop 5k on an arranger knowing they too may be able to operate and play on?...
versus watching a master play knowing your not going to sound like that? Just my observations..

Thats the typical crowd that visits these events in Holland...

In Germany there you see quite a lot of youngsters playing and visiting keyboard shows...

But overhere in Holland, the youngsters are mostly deejaying, playing guitar or playing piano.. the Genos is mostly out of their budget and not very fashionable among the youngsters..

so yamahas intent is to market & profit from the older crowd vs getting the younger generation into playing an arranger KB?...that said in a a few short years that older crowd will be gone and then what?

Edited by Dnj (01/04/18 08:12 AM)

#443951 - 01/04/18 08:12 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: Mikem]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When this older crowd is dead and gone, the younger crowd will be older. I find it difficult to believe my son will be 52 years old in two months. Damned, I must really be old.

Zuki (Jim), I have a monster grill on the deck, tips the scales at 300 pounds and measures nearly 6 feet long with a 4-foot firebox.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#443952 - 01/04/18 08:14 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
When this older crowd is dead and gone, the younger crowd will be older. I find it difficult to believe my son will be 52 years old in two months. Damned, I must really be old.

Zuki (Jim), I have a monster grill on the deck, tips the scales at 300 pounds and measures nearly 6 feet long with a 4-foot firebox.

Gary cool

I can attest to the awesomeness of Mr Wizards BBQ Grill oh man I remember those filet mignon steak sooooooo goood
YUMMMMMY!

#443954 - 01/04/18 08:37 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays Genos [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By zuki

Holy Cow! That's exactly what I had to eat last night, minus the Yoshida!
Grill all year, even in -7 degree smile

The grill cover that came with my Weber has never been taken out of its plastic bag ... best thing I did was move the grill from the patio downstairs to the deck off the kitchen ...

$5000 keyboard or $5000 grill? The grill wins ... bounce

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online