SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#443877 - 01/03/18 09:05 AM OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll "
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
So I've been in the Lowcountry of Bluffton / Hilton Head SC for close to 3 years now. Left NJ right after Sandy and so far here have endured two Hurricane scares ( we didn't get hit too bad, the buildup was worse than the storms ) and now I'm sitting at my desk watching a major ice/snow storm. Supposed to get about 3 inches but its on top of a sheet of ice which has covered everything. Schools, most businesses, Savannah Airport, and most roadway bridges closed. Unbelievable ! First real snow here since 1989 and I think over a hundred years beofre that.
Look out Northeast here it comes. You guys should get slammed by Thursday.
I don't mind. I have an upstairs loft room all to myself and have my keyboards, model RR, music and TV up here to keep me occupied.
Did have some fun yesterday. Walked into the ACE Hardware store nearby to get a small item and as usual two steps in an employee comes running up "can I help you find something " ( they're nice but it gets annoying as most times I know where to find stuff ) So with a few customers standing closeby I said " Where's the snowshovels ?" First silence then it got a good laugh.
But for the oldtime locals here refer to my title. They're not used to this stuff like us Yankees.

#443883 - 01/03/18 09:45 AM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It is unseasonably cold here in Louisiana, but so far no precipi- precipa- RAIN or SNOW.
If has to be this cold, I wish we would see some snow. Grandson at age 10 hasn't seen any, at least that he can remember.
Golf course is closed until afternoon because the greens are frozen.
One of my favorite Mexican Restaurants was closed yesterday because the water pipes froze and burst. Not prepared! Owners and employees are trying to sneak back into Mexico.
OOOH that was bad. They are actually my friends and wouldn't mind.
Ya'll be safe now, ya hear? (That's Southern for stay indoors).

#443886 - 01/03/18 10:36 AM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just went up to get the mail and bring down the empty trash cans at the end of the driveway - thought I would freeze to death and it only took five minutes at most on the garden tractor. Just 20 degrees in the shade here and that's today's high. Supposed to hit 30 tomorrow, then the eastern portion of the state will get about 5 to 6 inches of snow tomorrow and Friday.

Damned, I hate winter in Maryland,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#443889 - 01/03/18 12:09 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: travlin'easy]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Yeah, I remember how cold it got in Maryland when you got the wind off of the ocean! I hate winter period! Was raised in Muskegon Michigan and got out of the North as soon as I graduated from high school. Lived in Salisbury, Md and Ocean City, Md for nigh on 20 years. Now in NW Arkansas. Normally not that cold here. This winter the exception like everywhere else. Man, I'm ready for Spring!

Earl

#443891 - 01/03/18 12:22 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Where are you Earl? Bella Vista maybe?

#443892 - 01/03/18 12:29 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
'Balmy' 30 degrees here in l'il rhody ... In anticipation of the foot + of snow coming tomorrow into Friday, I took advantage of the 'warm' weather to take in the Nativity set from the front lawn ... as it is I had to use a steel pry bar to loosen the pieces from the frozen ground ... I have the three main pieces (Holy Family), one shepherd and 5 sheep, left of a 25 piece set my parents purchased in 1963 ... except for the sheep, the pieces weigh about 40 lbs each - cast concrete ... I figured I had better get them in now or they might have been there until Spring ...
Tomorrow and Friday will be music and movies days ...
Stay warm, stay safe ...

#443902 - 01/03/18 03:44 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Wow! Hard to believe it was warmer in Lil Ol Rhody than it was here today. We're only supposed to get about an inch of snow at my place from the storm, as most of it will hit hard along the coast before migrating north to Donny, UD and Tony to enjoy. Donny is supposed to get about a foot or so, while the latest forecast shows up to 18 inches in New England.

Enjoy,

Gary cool

#443906 - 01/03/18 04:18 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Locals are predicting 2 feet ... Heck, 1 foot or 2, the only difference is melting time ...
But now we're expecting a 'bomb cyclone' ?!? ... Who comes up with these things ???

#443907 - 01/03/18 04:48 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Locals are predicting 2 feet ... Heck, 1 foot or 2, the only difference is melting time ...
But now we're expecting a 'bomb cyclone' ?!? ... Who comes up with these things ???

Weather guys who want to scare the Hell out of people, mainly because they have a boring job most of the time.

Gary cool

#443909 - 01/03/18 05:07 PM Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I'm not buying the hype. Heck, there was still milk and bread in the store this morning..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online