OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll "

Posted by: Bill Lewis

OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 09:05 AM

So I've been in the Lowcountry of Bluffton / Hilton Head SC for close to 3 years now. Left NJ right after Sandy and so far here have endured two Hurricane scares ( we didn't get hit too bad, the buildup was worse than the storms ) and now I'm sitting at my desk watching a major ice/snow storm. Supposed to get about 3 inches but its on top of a sheet of ice which has covered everything. Schools, most businesses, Savannah Airport, and most roadway bridges closed. Unbelievable ! First real snow here since 1989 and I think over a hundred years beofre that.
Look out Northeast here it comes. You guys should get slammed by Thursday.
I don't mind. I have an upstairs loft room all to myself and have my keyboards, model RR, music and TV up here to keep me occupied.
Did have some fun yesterday. Walked into the ACE Hardware store nearby to get a small item and as usual two steps in an employee comes running up "can I help you find something " ( they're nice but it gets annoying as most times I know where to find stuff ) So with a few customers standing closeby I said " Where's the snowshovels ?" First silence then it got a good laugh.
But for the oldtime locals here refer to my title. They're not used to this stuff like us Yankees.
Posted by: DonM

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 09:45 AM

It is unseasonably cold here in Louisiana, but so far no precipi- precipa- RAIN or SNOW.
If has to be this cold, I wish we would see some snow. Grandson at age 10 hasn't seen any, at least that he can remember.
Golf course is closed until afternoon because the greens are frozen.
One of my favorite Mexican Restaurants was closed yesterday because the water pipes froze and burst. Not prepared! Owners and employees are trying to sneak back into Mexico.
OOOH that was bad. They are actually my friends and wouldn't mind.
Ya'll be safe now, ya hear? (That's Southern for stay indoors).
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 10:36 AM

I just went up to get the mail and bring down the empty trash cans at the end of the driveway - thought I would freeze to death and it only took five minutes at most on the garden tractor. Just 20 degrees in the shade here and that's today's high. Supposed to hit 30 tomorrow, then the eastern portion of the state will get about 5 to 6 inches of snow tomorrow and Friday.

Damned, I hate winter in Maryland,

Gary cool
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 12:09 PM

Yeah, I remember how cold it got in Maryland when you got the wind off of the ocean! I hate winter period! Was raised in Muskegon Michigan and got out of the North as soon as I graduated from high school. Lived in Salisbury, Md and Ocean City, Md for nigh on 20 years. Now in NW Arkansas. Normally not that cold here. This winter the exception like everywhere else. Man, I'm ready for Spring!

Earl

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 12:22 PM

Where are you Earl? Bella Vista maybe?
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 12:29 PM

'Balmy' 30 degrees here in l'il rhody ... In anticipation of the foot + of snow coming tomorrow into Friday, I took advantage of the 'warm' weather to take in the Nativity set from the front lawn ... as it is I had to use a steel pry bar to loosen the pieces from the frozen ground ... I have the three main pieces (Holy Family), one shepherd and 5 sheep, left of a 25 piece set my parents purchased in 1963 ... except for the sheep, the pieces weigh about 40 lbs each - cast concrete ... I figured I had better get them in now or they might have been there until Spring ...
Tomorrow and Friday will be music and movies days ...
Stay warm, stay safe ...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 03:44 PM

Wow! Hard to believe it was warmer in Lil Ol Rhody than it was here today. We're only supposed to get about an inch of snow at my place from the storm, as most of it will hit hard along the coast before migrating north to Donny, UD and Tony to enjoy. Donny is supposed to get about a foot or so, while the latest forecast shows up to 18 inches in New England.

Enjoy,

Gary cool

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 04:18 PM

Locals are predicting 2 feet ... Heck, 1 foot or 2, the only difference is melting time ...
But now we're expecting a 'bomb cyclone' ?!? ... Who comes up with these things ???

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Locals are predicting 2 feet ... Heck, 1 foot or 2, the only difference is melting time ...
But now we're expecting a 'bomb cyclone' ?!? ... Who comes up with these things ???

Weather guys who want to scare the Hell out of people, mainly because they have a boring job most of the time.

Gary cool
Posted by: sparky589

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 05:07 PM

I'm not buying the hype. Heck, there was still milk and bread in the store this morning..

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 05:14 PM

laugh2 ... sparky, I thought that was just a RI thing ...
My wife had to get a few things from the store and spent close to an hour on the check out line ... the lines at the gas stations were just as nuts ... don't know why everybody needs gas - they ain't driving anywhere ... ?!? confused1 coffee
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 05:17 PM

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 05:38 PM

Don't forget the toilet paper. So funny, even years ago when storms seemed worse and store deliveries were not as regular how many days were we snowed in ? The pre storm hype is always worse than the storm itself.
Today defiantly was a day to stay put because of the ice but I had a good day just doing what I felt like.
Enjoy and stay warm.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 05:40 PM

Bill Lewis, we spent Monday night in Port Wentworth, which I believe is about 25 miles from Bluffton, it was mighty cold the temp hit 22 overnight. We were lucky enough to get to central Florida before the storm. It’s not exactly warm here this evening we’re looking at 37 degrees, strange weather patterns for sure.
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 07:17 PM

It was so cold in Buffalo, the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/03/18 07:26 PM

Heck, I’ve played many outdoor gigs, with the temp in the low 30’s. Some of those gigs were 3 hours! Wore thermals, heavy coat, hat, and gloves between tunes. Even accompanied carolers on the square several times, with snow and ice around. Tough on the fingers, toes, and ears.

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 04:54 AM

8"-12" now what a mess

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 05:19 AM

Stay put and spend time with your EA7. Keep the pets in too.
I do agree with the warnings to stay off the roads. Too many lunatics who can't drive in normal times just have to get out in a storm. Having 4 wheel drive is false security.
OK maybe this time the forecasters got it right: LOL
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 08:28 AM

No Don, I'm in Mountain Home. North Central Arkansas. half way middle of northern tier 20 miles from Missouri or another words the middle of nowhere. It's 3 hours from the closest interstate! Some good, some bad!

Earl

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 08:39 AM

Great music festival up your way!!
My dad was from Bentonville, and I have relatives in that area and get up there occasionally.
Thought you might be close.

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 10:11 AM

Just came in from clearing the sidewalk and 80 feet of driveway - Brrr! 19 degrees outside, 30 mph winds, chill index well below zero. Only a couple inches of snow from this storm, but the eastern part of the state got a foot or more.

Unfortunately, I gave my snow blower to my daughter and the guy I had contracted to clear the driveway is no longer in business. Guess I'll have to get another snow blower. Hmmmmm! Wonder if I can get one that I can ride on? smile

Gary cool

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 10:22 AM

Don't be a freakin' hero ... just find another guy to plow the driveway ... at our age (and you're older than me grin ) it is well worth the expense ...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 12:51 PM

Hysterical Donny...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 01:51 PM

I just shoveled it two hours ago!!!! wtf??....
still snowing now and winds are nuts 40/50mph

mad

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
mad

Hey, you TOO, Donny ... get some able bodied youngER person to do that stuff ...
I don't want to be looking at anybody here in a box and thinking "he HAD to shovel the snow!!!"
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 02:01 PM

I have a 30' x 50' driveway and 100' of sidewalk...

Now days ... half the time my sons and grandkids finish it up for me..

My son and grand-daughter just finished... smile

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
mad

Hey, you TOO, Donny ... get some able bodied youngER person to do that stuff ...
I don't want to be looking at anybody here in a box and thinking "he HAD to shovel the snow!!!"

here they come with Bobcats and do your driveway and plow the streets,....all you do is take a shot of Jack Honey do your front steps & short walkway...
mama dint raise no fool stay safe everyone..

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 02:34 PM

I've already called three snow removal guys, they said they have more work than they can handle, and hung up. My son lives 2 hours away or he would do it, and my daughter cannot because she only has one functional arm.

I ain't dead yet, pretty close to dead, but still managing to take nourishment, so I guess I'll keep on doing what I have always done, and then some until I cannot. I can tell you that after clearing snow twice today, these old bones sure do hurt. wink

Thanks for thinking of me, Tony,

Gary cool

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I can tell you that after clearing snow twice today, these old bones sure do hurt. wink
Thanks for thinking of me, Tony,
Gary cool

No kidding ??? REALLY ??? OF COURSE THEY DO !!! wink ... Keep calling plow guys, you'll find one ... Winter has JUST BEGUN !!!

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 04:31 PM

Wow! Hard to believe it was warmer in Lil Ol Rhody than it was here today. We're only supposed to get about an inch of snow at my place from the storm, as most of it will hit hard along the coast before migrating north to Donny, UD and Tony to enjoy. Donny is supposed to get about a foot or so, while the latest forecast shows up to 18 inches in New England.

Enjoy,

Gary cool

We share a love for Jim Beam Honey. I find that works for a lot of aches and pains.
Seriously, get a seasonal contract from one of these landscape guys. Mu friends in NJ have one for when they go to Fla. and leave their daughter home because she has to work in a school. Something like they show up if there's more than 1 inch of snow. They even clean her car for her. Better to have a cup of coffee and watch them out the window then over do it yourself. Stay Warm

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 05:53 PM

Bill, unfortunately, I had to give up booze cause it has way too many calories and I gotta dump 50 pounds in the next six months. I dumped two pounds in four days, so I guess I'm on my way.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 06:35 PM

Speaking of not so good weather, it was too cool for the pool today here in Florida. When we went cruising on our golf cart we even had to wear winter coats. I'll be happier when Monday rolls around, here in Central Florida it will be in the low 70s.

Sorry guys I just couldn't resist. We missed your snowstorm by a couple of days.

Posted by: btweengigs

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/04/18 07:34 PM

Steve...
Come a little bit further south and you can take a dip in our pool....or at least bask in the sun for a tan.
Eddie
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 12:13 AM

-8 right now...high today will be 0.

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By btweengigs
Steve...
Come a little bit further south and you can take a dip in our pool....or at least bask in the sun for a tan.
Eddie

cool
Posted by: The Saint

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 04:20 AM

Hey you guys, out in the real world (Sydney), today was 36 F.
Tomorrow 42, Sunday 44.Monday (if we make it), about 40. get over it.
Now,as Donny says, "you can't get out, stay in and practice ,practice, practice".
No golf for me, so air con. on, and that is exactly what I am going to do.

Ray dance

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 08:13 AM

just sayin'... wink
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 08:28 AM

It's probably better to have bad weather than not any weather at all .. laugh

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 01:35 PM

No more kids going door to door with shovels. They'd rather sit home on their I-things and just ask their parents for money. Or a car, or....and get it.

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 02:10 PM

Yep, that's the way it is in this part of the world. The high school my son attended had to double the size of it's parking lot - no additional students, but more students driving to school with cars given to them by mom and dad. The expansion of the parking lot cost the taxpayers a bundle because it had to meet county road specifications.

Sparky, that dog looks like the one we had for 17 years, a small boxer with floppy ears and a bobbed tail.

Gary cool
Posted by: The Saint

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 02:25 PM

Correction to my post .
Temperatures should read Celcius.

Ray

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 03:23 PM

Gary- he's 3/4 boxer- wonderful dog.with full length tail like a whip.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By sparky589
Gary- he's 3/4 boxer-

So does that mean he qualifies for MMA smile.

chas

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 04:23 PM

He wouldn't hurt anybody....unless they messed with me. taz

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 04:45 PM

No more kids going door to door with shovels. They'd rather sit home on their I-things and just ask their parents for money. Or a car, or....and get it.

Funny that you say that ... just today I heard that a thirteen year old grandnephew of ours and two of his friends went door to door in his neighborhood yesterday and made over $200 in a couple of hours shoveling walks ...
They may be the exception, but we can't paint them all with the same brush ...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 04:51 PM

Point taken. I just don't see them around. I can remember that we had to get an early start doing it to get a jump on the neighborhood competition. Everything changes..

Current temps here in NJ 10°f going down to 2°f overnight..

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 06:10 PM

Point taken. I just don't see them around. I can remember that we had to get an early start doing it to get a jump on the neighborhood competition. Everything changes..

Totally agree ... none in my neighborhood either, and I could use a couple ... I've got one vehicle snow bound in the driveway and my new plow guy doesn't do snow blowing ... May have to try to get my grandnephew and his friends over here ... grin

PS: expected high of 10f tomorrow ...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 07:47 PM

Going down to 4 here tonight, with tomorrow's forecasted high of 17. Donny should be running around naked in this stuff - knowin how he loves cold weather and snow. wink

Keep warm, guys and gals,

Gary cool

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 07:57 PM

Back up a little here! Tomorrow will be near 60. Time for golf again!

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/05/18 08:41 PM

Going down to 4 here tonight, with tomorrow's forecasted high of 17.
Keep warm, guys and gals,
Gary cool

That's PLUS 4 degrees right? ... that's because you are in the 'deep south' down there wink ...
Tomorrow's forecast is a high of about 9 degrees and - 4 (yes that's MINUS 4 degrees tomorrow night ... looks like an 'inside' day tomorrow ...
Long range forecast has next Friday and Saturday at about 50 degrees ... dancers

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 07:50 AM

The weatherman was a bit off for today's high - it's 11 am and just 7 degrees outside with a wind chill of -1. Supposed to get up to 50 by next weekend and rain - sure hope so.

Enjoy the snow, Tony,

Gary cool

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 07:56 AM

Feels like my butt it's just COLD and that it!!....whoever thought of this "FEELS LIKE" CRAP you always hear should be drawn & quartered lol

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 08:24 AM

Feels like it's time for me to go play golf! Forecast 60 degrees today! Yay!!

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 08:37 AM

Originally Posted By DonM

Good for you, Don ... I always say " life is about choices" and apparently we choose to live where we do ... really no one to blame but ourselves ... at least we're not complaining about anything serious wink

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 08:42 AM

Donny ... What's worse is the creation of "Bomb Cyclone" when talking about a blizzard ... I guess 'blizzard' had become too common so the weather people had to come up with a more dramatic phrase to get people stressed out ...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 10:47 AM

Donny ... What's worse is the creation of "Bomb Cyclone" when talking about a blizzard ... I guess 'blizzard' had become too common so the weather people had to come up with a more dramatic phrase to get people stressed out ...

Its -0 here howling wind too!!......glad I at least had the front walk & driveway shoveled but the sides are slammed bushes and all !.......

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 11:34 AM

Donny,

Despite the headaches of snow it sure makes a nice photo.

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By DonM

Good for you, Don ... I always say " life is about choices" and apparently we choose to live where we do ... really no one to blame but ourselves ... at least we're not complaining about anything serious wink

Had a good time, first time to play in two weeks. Shot 2-over-par from the "old man" tees.
Now for a quick nap and then "work" for four hours!

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 03:06 PM

My next life I REALLY want to come back as you - for so MANY reasons ...

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 03:42 PM

My next life I REALLY want to come back as you - for so MANY reasons ...

I don't know Tony, every bone in my body seems to be aching right now!
All my muscles are stiff except one. smile

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/06/18 04:33 PM

I won't ask ... laugh2

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/07/18 05:21 AM

Good morning !!! -1 with -17 wind chill ! surprised

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/07/18 06:47 AM

Got -2 here just about 8 am when I checked. 0 now..

Re: OT - SC weather, " this ain't right Ya'lll " - 01/07/18 07:44 AM

Got down to +1 last night, up to 11 right now. Brrrrrr!

Gary cool